1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s talk Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Baker turnover maker will never own a AFCN title on the Browns. Aren't they always better than the Steelers until they play the games? They better be all about Chubb if they want to compete.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Browns are going to run the ball like crazy next season with Chubb and Hunt, and then live off play action passing. I was not convinced whatsoever before last season but I really think they have made some smart moves this off season. The Conklin signing is very good and I’d be shocked if they don’t fill the other tackle spot in the first round, addressing a major weakness in 2019. They have also addressed safety which was a glaring hole for them.

Still a question mark over Baker for sure, the guy is a grade A clown but the talent is there. We’ll see

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Fixed that for ya:smiley1:

The Browns will NEVER be competitive as long as the Haslems own them. Mark that down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree he was one of the worst qbs in the nfl last yr. I'm talking bottom 5. But I'll give him a little break because he had an actual head coach his rookie and last yr he had a clown head coach who had no idea what he was doing. I dont think he got anyone better but he had 1 good and 1 bad. Next yr will tell me where hes at. I dont think anyone in the division is anywhere near Baltimore so everybody is playing for 2nd which isn't bad because now we have an extra playoff team.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

JuJu getting ready for that bounce back season.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is he your next man crush?

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you doing online school now?

8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Even in off season practice, Rudolph is not allowed to throw more than 10 yards down field

• Like Like x 2
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Juju posting a lot of his workouts on Instagram etc he is working hard and looks to be in incredible shape. Was looking at his stats from his first two seasons they really are impressive, 1,400 yards in 2018 and nearly half of those came after the catch, 97 yard TD’s in both seasons. Guy is a beast!

I really hope he is 100% next season and we get to see what he can do with Ben, he was banged up and suffering with unbearable QB play in 2019. Some fans seem to have turned on him a bit which is unfair IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I haven't, he is a very good ball player.

• Like Like x 2
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s gonna be fine, he just needs to stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The Ravens have 6 picks in the first 106 of this year's draft. They will add a lot of talent unfortunately.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And the Steelers have 1 pick in the top 100 :facepalm:

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey TarheelFlyer.

First, I hope all is well in your world as well as with your loved ones..

The offense, IMO, is in a great position with one very critical and obvious issue….the QB. I was there during the late Chuck Noll and early Bill Cowher eras. The carousel of QBs is what held us back from a few more rings. When Bradshaw left we know what happened. Of course other pieces of the dynasty were exiting too. However, they were good enough to have made a few Post-Season appearances but mediocrity at the QB position is what held the team back. If they had drafted Marino, Mr. Noll’s last decade of work would have been much different IMO.

We are in a similar situation if there is no Ben.

Continuing on the good old days here. I hope no one minds. Just connecting some dots to our current situation and Steeler history.

Now enter Cowher. He would have inherited Marino as Mr. Dan would have been in the league at that point for about 10 years. The defenses that Cowher had, along with some very good Offensive players would again, IMO, have brought us a few more rings. Now in fairness to some of the QBs in Cowher’s earlier years. There were not many to choose from. Neil O’Donnell was above average. Smart and played relatively mistake free. He got us to a Super Bowl but fell short. I am not going to get into the two blunders that were made in that game because I still do not know who was responsible. I am upset that he missed a wide-open Ernie Mills late in the fourth Quarter streaking all alone down the right sideline, wide-open for a go ahead TD. Ugh!

Now, Kordell Stewart enters. He had all the tools to be successful. He understood the position from playing WR as well. As the saying goes: “If ain’t broke……..” and everyone here knows the rest. If the coaching staff did not try to convert him into a pocket passer his biography would have been different. As a teacher you work off of a student’s strengths to compensate and indirectly fortify his/her weaknesses. The Steelers did not do that! Kordell was a player that teams had to extra game plan for because he was unique. He showed many flashes of brilliancy. Management totally screwed up his growth and maturation process as a NFL Quarterback. If they had let him play within his Comfort and Strength zones, I really believe he would have gotten us a ring or two.

Back to our current situation, I have documented a breakdown before on all of our people on the “O”. We are good folks at every position. It is just a matter of them staying healthy and the coaching staff getting their collective heads out of the sand and doing the job that they are getting paid for. That is to coach these players up and then implement their skill-sets into the most fundamental, creative and advantageous situations possible on game day.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Been right there with you through all of this thick and thin. Born in 1972 and watched my first game in the fall of 1974, been a Steeler fan since. Obviously I don't remember those early 70s years the way others do, but the 80s, 90s and 2000s are right there in my head. That being said, I need to go back to my original post and see if my perspective has changed on anything over the last few months. I will say this, I'm not a huge "mock" person, but ran one tonight for fun.

Got a good draft.

Uche Edge
    Helaire RB
    Gandy Golden WR
    Evan (last name escapes me) LB from Cal
    Got a FS from ND in the 6th
    Got a C in from Boise State in the 7th

I actually thought it was a pretty good draft. If it went that way I'd be pretty happy. I think we get a good Edge guy who I think can go inside and outside in round 2. We get a RB who shouldn't last into the 3rd let alone late in the 3rd in that round. We get a WR who I think is going to be like Anquan Boldin, and a LB who if you watch his tape he is all over the place. He can cover, blitz and tackle. The C and FS I really don't know, but I think the positions are right.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, I wanted to revisit this and see where we were at now that we were closer to the draft.

QB - I'd still like to see a more vet guy brought in. The rumors of Winston only make sense if he is cheap and on a 2 year deal. Make it starter money in year 2 or a bonus or something for year 2 so it is financially workable for the team. If he stays great.

RB - I'm still okay with what we have. If a guy drops who we really like I could see us drafting one, but I don't feel like its a requirement to get one.

WR - I wanted a vet guy, but I think with this draft class being so good, give me another young guy and I'm pretty happy with our group. Switzer, Cain, Darboh, etc all fight for the special teams 5/6 spots on the team.

OT - I think we take one Olineman in the draft, but I'm not sure it is a high pick. I'm happy with our top 7 and don't think there will be any starters coming out unless a guy like Cushenberry or Ruiz drops unexpectedly to us. I also am beginning to think that Feiler might move to LG and start meaning Chuk and Banner fight over RT spot. 2 spots on the Oline up for who starts. We take the best player available on the Oline unless major talent falls.

Thoughts?

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I will take Minkah Fitzpatrick and Devin Bush Jr. over 6 unknowns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Technically, yes. But I look at it as we already have our 1st pick on the team and producing. That is better than picking a first rounder in the draft and HOPING he works out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a fair point in evaluating the 2020 draft, but it doesn't change the fact that the Ravens were already better, they added Calais Campbell and they have more help coming in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hairball needs all the help he can get.

Steelers 2020 AFCN champs, take it to the bank.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

With you on that!! :herewego:

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  23. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Doesn't Juju look slow??

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No the difference is Canada has fresh ideas and Fichtner is fresh out of ideas....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1