1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive Lineman Prospects

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope our west coast scouts are up to the task out there,
    I think there is a gold mine to harvest out west.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Kj hill as well. 3 of these guys I have spoke quite a lot about. I've had all 3 in my mocks at some point in Macs mock. Two in the last version. Reid and jackson. Jackson has starts at center as well. he's as solid as they come. Reid is a returner as well. The old, the more you can do. hill as I've said and they said, just gets open. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    going back to the LeBeau days, I'm sure the Steelers are well acquainted with all of the OSU players. Big and successful program in their proverbial back yard doesn't hurt either. I would love Jackson or Davon Hamilton or both.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I don't want to seem biased but they have had a good team for several years and these guys are solid. In fact Winfield the safety from minn. and Dobbins are both from woodlands texas. Two good players off the same hs team went North to play in the big10. Pretty good recruiting.

I have seen some rankings of Arnnette the corner from OSU dropping to around our pick. All of their DBs were very good. Hamilton I am mixed about that high. Yes hes pretty good but disappeared at times. Same as Malik harrison. More of guys that succeeded because of talent around them. They are kind of limited but solid. Not going to jump out at you type play. :cool:

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just asking. Wasn’t Hamilton tasked with being the guy to take on blocks in that defense? Isn’t he more of a disrupter and a guy able to shoot gaps like Hargrave? I thought I remembered reading he sacrificed some of his natural ability for the good of the defense. I think the 4th is a good spot for Hamilton if we wait....

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    His game was always streaky. Most have him going much earlier then the 4th from what I have seen. He's solid don't get me wrong but as a higher pick, 2nd or 3rd round, I think we can fill other spots with more upside. Fotu may be a guy that's there in the 4th. He can give some versatility similar to hargraves. I'm just not sure Hamilton has or can give us that inside outside versatility. I wouldn't be saddened by him but....:cool:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Interesting take by Colbert. Definitley opens that door up on who we take at pick 49. Keep in mind and, as I said, Banner and Big Al have their contracts set to expire. Offensive tackle is ridiculously loaded this year and more so than it usually is. More of the whole Offensive Tackle craze can be read at here;

Guard Competition

All that said, it would shock me if Lloyd Cushenberry III falls to pick 49. If he does, I would imagine that would be quite the discussion in the Steelers War Room.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

What are your thoughts on Austin jackson? Ezra Cleveland? Two tackles that could be there at 49.:cool:

11. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I really don't see Jackson falling to 49

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I have seen him at 46. Cleveland wasn't even a blip when I first mentioned him, now he's up around 49. They all can't go in the top 48. Think decastro.:shrug::cool:

13. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    It wouldn't be a stretch to see 6 OT go in the first this year though

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Austin Jackson is there, I would run up to the podium a la the 2012 selection of David DeCastro! Who cares if Austin needs some refinement?! As me and you have stated before, assuming pick 49 is a Offensive Lineman, barring injury, neither will see the field; a redshirt season.

By year two, with some refinement and conditioning, Austin Jackson has the potential to be a high end starter as a blindside protector. That said, if the team sees Chuks as the natural fit for being the blindside protector, Erza Cleveland is a far more athletic Joe Staley clone but needs some development as well.

Either or fixes the Offensive Tackle issue. That said, if Lloyd Cushenberry is available by pick 49, that will be an interesting discussion in the war room. Keep in mind that Stephen Wisenski is a stopgap option and not the answer. Having an heir to Pouncey is important as well as his final year is in 2021.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    wisineski is a finney replacement, and that's fine we needed it, and he's a good one. That said a tackle would be nice but so would a guy like cushenberry, ruiz or Jonah Jackson right after or before. Center and guard capable. If they went this route we would have the line rebuilt and ready for the future but they seem to be in right now mode. I think this is where a guy like cabral or a guy like Charlie heck may fall in.

going about it this way will still leave chuks retainable. grey could easily have a place as well. Feiler could be signed long term to the AV money that would be released after next year. Then again watt will be getting a raise and a new robin will be due.

Now let's face it, this is the part of the team where we have been saving the money and working on the cheap for years. Pouncey and DD not withstanding. AV finally got a lower tier contract for a starter. Ramon always worked for little. Feiler has been underpaid and our backups made pretty minimal paydays. Will they go early rounds on this part of the team is the question. :cool:

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would also advocate for Guard. For that matter, I really would LOVE to. The issue is the "win now" mentality is really kicking in for the given Ben's fading ticks that will soon reach midnight.

I really do believe the team sees Chuks as Big Al's replacement although there is still not enough evidence to support this. That said, if that is the direction the team takes, then replacing Zach Banner would be the key then as I personally do not see him on the roster come 2021 considering he is betting big time on himself with that one year deal. As such, Erza Cleveland would be ready come 2021.

Now, if Erza is gone by pick 49, Isaiah Wilson from the University of Georgia is simply TOO GOOD to pass up if he is there. He is a tailor made Right Tackle and possess Pro Bowl potential like Erza does. While I cannot state how old Erza is, Isaiah will be only 22 come 2021; 21.6 by the time the 2020 Regular Season commences.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I haven't missed too many Biadasz games over the past 3 years. He's a football player. Was he as good in 2019 as he was in 2018? No but he still won the Rimington trophy.

In my mind, he is the best Badger OL since Travis Frederick. You can point out Ramczyk but to me is a much better pro than he was at Madison.

Biadasz will be a solid pro for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    doesn't he have a hip problem?:cool:

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

This right here, if we don't pick one of the bigger guys does he fall to us in the 3rd? IMO if we don't get Cush with pick 49 I would love for Biadasz or Hennessy to fall to us with our comp pick in the 3rd........it is a long fall though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He had hip surgery early in 2019. He didn't miss a game in 2019. In fact he never missed a game in his career. He's a gamer and a warrior. Even after hip surgery he won the Rimington. Although as a Badger fan I will concede he was better in 2018 than 2019.

He skipped the combine because he had shoulder surgery. Shouldn't be a big deal, just cleaning up the AC joint.

Not even 2 months ago the guy was almost universally pegged as a late 1st/early 2nd. He misses the combine and now suddenly he's a 3rd or 4th round pick. Just draft hysteria. The guy is going to be a great player in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I remembered he had surgery before the combine and didn't remember what for. Hip and shoulder could be cause for concern and longevity. I know he's good but those are red flags if it's even close with he and another player. I'd rather have the healthy one. Now if we were looking for a role player like finney or wisnieski type role that could give us strings of starts in case of injury that would be fine. Not saying no but it will be tougher as a pro.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Watch Ben Bredeson and especially Jon Runyan on the left side LOL

• Like Like x 2
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like them both matter of fact I think Cleveland will be the pick.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015