1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steeler fan book club

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by steel machine, Apr 2, 2020.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Always been a reader but now I'm reading a whole lot more. Lately been reading psychological thrillers. So many out there. Just wondering if any of you have suggestions for good books to read. I don't read a lot of non-fiction. I'm not to familiar with historical fiction but do enjoy WW2 stuff. Any you have enjoyed???

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ken Follett has one or two fiction novels set in WW2 that are good. I remember one called Hornet Flight that I read a few years back. Another called Jackdaws is supposedly good, but I haven’t read it. He’s a good storyteller. For crime thrillers, Harlan Coben is pretty good, and has a large selection. David Baldacci is also good and has some intriguing series. The John Puller series is really good, as is the Amos Decker series. You can look online to get the chronological order for each series.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If you like WW II related stories, IMO, the very best are "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" by Herman Woulk. "Eye of the Needle" by Follett. Historical, but not WW II, try the Kingsbridge series by Follett, starting with "Pillars of Fire" I have a pretty extensive library. Almost all fiction, though, I enjoyed McCullough's biography of John Adams. There's also a great true story about Sam Giancana and JFK named "Double Cross" If you like non-fiction adventure, "The Perfect Storm", "In the Heart of the Sea" (forget the movies) and "In Harms Way", the story of the USS Indianapolis!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm a big Orwell fan,1984 and Animal Farm, are amongst my favorites.

The Hobbitt was my favorite as a kid and is still a great read.

I read a few William Diehl books way back that were really good Thai Horse and The Hunt (27). He also wrote Primal Fear which became a movie.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is another good one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Thanks! Think I'll try Coben, heard of him but never read. Follett wrote one of my all time favorites, "Cain and Able". never knew he wrote about WW2. I read all Baldacci

6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Enjoyed the movie H.G. to the G. I find books to be better then the movies but enjoyed both the movie and book on that one.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Try His Majesty's Dragon the Temeraire series. It re-imagines the Napoleonic Wars but with Dragons and follows the British Air Corps as though the Dragons are bombers, fighters or Capital Ships. Naomi Novik does a great job on the series. I have been reading a series about Galactic Marines written by a former Marine Jonathan P. Brazee with each book following his main character as he advances through the ranks of his career the first being Private. They are compelling but I have had to get over the Mary-Stu quality of the main character they are available on kindleunlimited

beyond those Tad Williams is one my favorite authors can't go wrong there.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Are you only interested in fiction?

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I just started the latest Coben. As usual, it grabs you from page 1!

10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeppers. Only non fiction I enjoy is evolution and science once in awhile.

11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah I ordered that one. I like his standalone stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Then you should read "Them and Us" by Danny Vendramini. I loved it. About Neanderthals and Human evolution.

13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I thank you!! Right up my alley and would love that topic. Off to E-bay or Amazon to order, whoever is cheapest.

I noticed my library has it but who the hell knows how long until they open. This damn virus has made me commit my first criminal act. In 45 years of using a library (and I am a heavy user) I never had a late fee. There are 8 books in my house that are late. I'm sure all fines are forgiven at this time. I even tried to put in box outside but they locked that down too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    "The Empire long divided must unite,
    long united must divide.
    Thus it has always been."

Opening for the book - Romance of the three kingdoms.

A fictional book about the history of Chinas three kingdoms period steel machine. Very character oriented with outlandish plots. You mentioned reading about Shi Huang Di drinking mercury to obtain everlasting life :roflmao: & child emperors. If you liked that you will like the romance novel.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So many writers that are great out there. I've read at least 1 book a week 4 as long as I can remember, and I have never even heard of half the Authors that have been mentioned. My top writers are David Gemmell ( fantasy& Historical fiction) , H.P. Lovecraft ( no introduction ), Brian Lumley ( fantasy, Scifi, & Horror), Andrew C. Piazza (Historical fiction, scifi, & Horror), Arthur Machen ( fantasy, weird, Horror), Charles Stross(scifi, horror), Algernon Blackwood (fantasy, scifi), Clark Ashton Smith (scifi, fantasy, Horror), Robert E. Howard ( no intro needed), never mind 2 many I like 2 name

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Since you like the sci-fi genre, Dune by Frank Herbert!

17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm always reading something. I jump around a lot, but read 90% fiction, and 10% non-fiction.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi and I love reading novels from the Warhammer 40,000 lore, mostly related to the armored Space Marines at war with different alien species. I've also recently been reading novels in the Alien/Aliens universe, which is also probably why I like the Warhammer stuff, as it has a similar feel.

When I was younger, I was big into Stephen King books, but it's probably been 20 years since I've read any of his stuff.

One of the best books I've ever read is The Book of Myst (based on the 90s video game). I've recommended it to people who have never played the game, and almost all of them said it was one of the best books they'd read when they finished it. There's a series of 3, and they're all great, but the first one is the best of the 3.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've read almost everything Aliens in the Aliens universe. Who is The Book of Myst by?
    The S. King books I've read quite a bit. The Shining & IT are 2 of my top 20 books of all time.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have been told that. After the Series I'm reading now ( Southern Watch by RobertJ.Crane) is done I shall pursue Dune

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Did Brian Lumley write the Necroscope books? Those were fun. It’s been a while.

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    The Dune Series written by Frank Herbert is almost required reading for Sci-Fi fans. The books that came after he died... not so much.

A friend who knows I enjoy Max Brooks books (Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z specifically) gifted me a newer one from him called "Devolution." Written in a similar style, but this time focusing on Sasquatch. It was not at all what I was expecting, but thoroughly entertaining. World War Z's movie version was God awful. It didn't represent the book at ALL much less not doing it well. But Devolution would make an excellent movie if done right.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes . Exactly! I have read that whole series 5 times. Matter of fact I'm working on a song called Lord Nestor, from the Necroscope series ( Blood Brothers)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dune is next up 4 me. 2 many people have told me great things about them. I had a old band mate that use 2 get mad at me about them. Every time he'd bring them up ...I'd be already reading something else. It became a running joke, and I really never got 2 them

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Dune was great, and I may have enjoyed Dune Messiah (book 2) even more. After that I think the story started to go off the rails a bit. I read Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune (3 and 4), but I don’t recall either one making me read obsessively like the first two. I honestly can’t remember whether I made it through book 5. It was decades ago that I read the books.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    His son started writing prequels. I have them all and enjoyed them very much. You're right about the originals, the 5th in the series was............hard to get through!

• Like Like x 1