1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Ebron

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It will interesting to see which teams are in line for the top pick in the 2021 draft. I'm going to pick the Jags as having the worst record in this upcoming season.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Didn't the Jets started tanking this year for top pick of 2021? Told Bell to stay home for a game? QB with Mono. Seriously, out for Mono.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t buy the quitting on the team stuff. I’ve never heard that complaint his entire career before now. Maybe, perhaps, just possibly he was actually injured enough to need to shut it down.

He had been splitting targets with the other TE, name escapes me now, cutting into Ebron’s targets/production and never complained. He’s a better TE and should have been getting the bulk of the work.

Not worried about Fichtner making it work, Bens is the OC when under center.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mono is no joke especially for a football player.

They tanked alright...tanked us out of the playoffs

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The other TE in Indy was Jack Doyle. I agree with everything you said. I know toward the end of his time in Detroit he made a few comments about not wanting to stay with the Lions. I think it was more out of frustration than anything malicious. For whatever reason he and Stafford were never on the same page. When Ebron started to play with Luck, he started to look like the player everyone thought he would be. If Ben is fully healthy this season Ebron could be in for a big year. Im not worried about Fichtner either. Play calling will improve from having better QB play and a veteran QB that can audible out of bad plays at will.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Panthers and the Jags will be two of the worst teams IMO

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I will restate my question. If he had an injury he could have played through, but he chose to shut it down because he was putting his own career ahead of the interests of the team, is that quitting on the team?

I'm not even saying he was wrong. I'm just curious what people think of that.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If he had an injury that left him at 60% and it was a lower body injury and they told him to play through it I'd side with Ebron. If you are struggling to walk then you arent doing the team any favors. That to me isn't quitting on the team.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Glad to see that fear is still there buddy!! :thumbs_up:

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Whatever you say, man. :rolleyes:

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You said it not me! :sign0020:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I suppose it would depend on the extent of the injury. Playing through it but it’s bad enough that he is ineffective out there, then no. A minor injury that he can still contribute, then yes.

Ben playing the 49ers game (the Tebow playoff loss, season) is an example of a player that should have been shut down. I admire the competitiveness to be out there but not when it comes at the expense of the team. Of course, I don’t expect any player to shut themselves down, most aren’t wired that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    From what I read, the Colts thought he could play and were angry enough about his decision that they wanted nothing more to do with him. That sounds to me as if Ebron’s decision was a out himself, not the good of the team.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I call him a pussy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Those things go forever. They should make tires out of them.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    giphy-1.gif

17. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    We needed help @ TE. We have now signed a pro bowl TE that puts points on the board more than any TE in the league.

Why not? :shrug:

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah in 2018 he did, he has been average other than that season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    So? See how he does with a HOF QB throwing to him and a HOF organization around him.
    Worth a shot for a year or two.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    And with the team friendly deal he took it’s a no brainer to give him a shot. If he can even give you 70% of what he did in 2018 it’ll be a very good pickup

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    When you go from Luck to Brissett, you’re bound to have a drop in production. I know Stafford is a good QB but for whatever reason, it just never worked in Detroit. I think you are much more likely to see good production out of him with Ben throwing him the ball.

22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Let’s hope so. And if it doesn’t work out he is easily cut after year one without much of a hit. When you weigh the deal against the Chicago / Graham one or even Jax / Eifert I think Ebron is great value.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Team friendly deal? They should have never given this low production TE what he got.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They needed a TE and his cap hit this year is around $3.5m. He has had a very up and down career but I don’t see many other veteran options available for that money. If he doesn’t produce they can cut and run easily.

The TE market is very difficult right now. Jimmy Graham has been completely useless for years and the bears just gave him $16m over two years. I will take the Ebron deal every day of the week over that.

What do you think they should have done at TE?

25. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016

I think they should have done this exact move. I think the value and the potential boom is worth it spades. Did the Ladarius Green deal ruin the Steelers immediate future? Nope. Steelers were still making FA signings, trading up for Bush, trading for Fitzpatrick... Green didn't scratch the franchise. Take the same lack of risk and throw it a once pro bowler who showed a lot more than Green ever did in front of a bad TE class with a friendlier deal than comparable signings this very year. It's almost not up for debate imo