1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrated Need for 2020 Draft - ILB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Mar 19, 2020.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm pretty high on UG3 as being a starter so I don't have ILB as being a huge need. Definitely need to put another body there maybe later in the draft.

Neither will be available at #49, but I want to get people's thoughts on Kenneth Murray vs Patrick Queen as the #2 ILB in this draft.

I had the antagonizing choice in the TSF draft for the Raiders. Most seem to like Murray. He is the bigger name. Great character. Great teammate. All the physical tools.

But I started watching tape of Queen. Overshadowed for most of his career on a loaded LSU defense but was just a monster in 2019 especially late in the season.

Queen is everything Devin Bush was IMO and might be more. Queen looks natural in pass coverage, great Blitzer, great open field tackler. He is still raw though when compared to Murray but I think he has a very high ceiling.

Thoughts?

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’d be lying if I said I studied either one but when in doubt I’m going with the guy whose character is off the charts....jmo

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but do the Steelers view UG3 as a starter? Or is he a backup, and special teams player?

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    confucius say...."you can never have enough fast LBers"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd take queen in a heartbeat. He will go early. I think muse is their target guy for barrons spot. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    And heavier line backers that can take on 320 pound OL and 230 pound running backs.
    This my friend is a terrible mismatch., that will be exploited by smart teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was joking about the author of the article in relation to the thread.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Gotcha:thumbs_up:. I was going to say, I had queen before the so called experts had him even as a blip. He then shot up the boards into the top 25. He took over the national championship game. Heck LSU found out about him late actually. LOL. UG3 was a guy I wanted us to draft last year. He's got some game. Muse though is my target. He has a similar path as Barron into the league. Them having dinner with him doesn't mean he will be the guy but they know who he is for sure. Has the tools for the spot and speed. He also had a good playoff game until ejected.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You need both. You can’t have 2 lightweight LBs on the field all the time. We also will be facing a lot of running teams this year. Just in our division alone we have Baltimore who is run heavy and we can expect Cleveland to push to be more of a running team this year and Cincinnati with a rookie QB will very likely lean on the running game more. Then throw in Jax,Giants and Dallas just off the top of my head. We better be well prepared to stop the run....it’s coming.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    They seem to be making a lot of moves with the d-line. Even Hendrix as a bigger type of edge player 280. Maybe we get back to less of our DEs getting to the passer like they did before tj and bud started getting home and more for those guys to play at the line first. That is where we started to lose the run contain with this defense. Right when butler took over for DLB and we couldn't get to the qb. Cam, tuitt, wormley, buggs, alualu are capable of this if scheme will allow it again. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly, Got to be able to stop the run and not 5-6 yds past the line of scrimmage. Oh it's coming.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    But we have the 7 million dollar man.:cool:

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    If your referencing VW then he better play like a 7 million dollar man. What everybody should be
    asking themselves is how the 34 million dollar man will play. This my friend is the key.

He is the one that has handcuffed the Steelers.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they keep feeding these two money. Ben I can see, but a backup, made that way by his own play. I feel like the Larry Foote years I argued with people on here about. There is nothing wrong with fast linebackers against the run it they can slip blocks with speed. If. :cool:

19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I hear you out Mac on VW, But Ben has to play lights out these next two years
    or just have we have seen played out with Eli. I am afraid we paid
    a high price for Ben, anything less than a deep playoff run will be considered a disappointment.
    We can't just be happy with qualifying for the playoffs when you have your supposedly best
    player making 34million dollars.He has to lead and win games that are 50-50

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    As I said ILB isn't a big need for me but definitely should use a mid round pick on one.

My guy is Willie Gay Jr from Miss St

6'1 240 ran 4.46

Missed 8 games to off the field issues, academic, not behavioral.

I know when I was watching tape on Montez Sweat and Jonathan Abrams last year it was impossible to miss Gay show up on tape. He flies on the field and makes alot of plays. He likely should have went back for a senior season as he probably could have been a higher pick with another good season under his belt.

Go watch his 2018 tape though, it is really good and worth a mid round pick in my opinion.

21. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If there had been a ILB worthy of the #49 pick in the The Steelers Fans mock draft, that's a player I would have selected.

22. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'll throw my 2 cents in on Ben. He's easily the best QB the storied Steelers have ever had. He brought us 2 Super Bowls. His last healthy season, 2018, he threw for over 5000 yards and 34 td's. That's not chump change. We knew this cap number was coming sooner or later. How many times did they restructure? He's earned what's coming to him.

Last year was probably the most painful football season of my life. An 8-8 record does nothing to symbolize how painful it was to watch that offense. I'm ashamed that the Steelers left themselves in that position, with two PUKE back ups. It was embarrassing. The defense, imo, was maybe the best defense in the history of the league. How they even had a shot at the playoffs is a mystery that I'll ponder till the end of my life. Obviously, Minkah, Watt, and Cam were phenomenal. Their play was so uplifting that it almost made it worth sitting through the offensive possessions. Hopefully they can build on that.

Ben's going Rocky IV, and I love it. I feel that this really may be our last shot with Ben. I don't see us, or anybody else for that matter, getting past Mahomes without a major battle. The kid is spectacular. I enjoy watching him so much. I didn't anticipate us receiving a QB so soon that could threaten TB12's numbers. He won't, obviously. Nobody will ever win 6 Suberbowls. What Brady did, and I don't care how much you hate Brady, is nothing short of miraculous. I'm glad that I got to watch him play. Please don't insult yourself by responding that Brady wasn't that great.

I think my point after all this rambling is, enjoy these last year or two with Ben, cause it could be a long disastrous road before we luck into another good one. The idea that Ben's salary is holding this team back is a joke. It may be 20 years before we find another QB worth a damn.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    J ball, you must have missed the defenses of the 70s if you think last year was the greatest in history of the league. That said, we will be hurting at ilb. Vince ain't it no matter what you guys say. The Steelers know it too. It's why they have been trying to replace him for two years. The Bush kid is pretty good at times and at times not so good. Not a great year for LBers unless you have a first rounder really. UG3 will have to make some strides. I see some interest in muse. Troy Dye from Oregon is another interesting kid. Very good in pass defense and makes a lot of tackles. Can he put some weight on is the question. Where will the kid fall is also a question. I think we may have to move some from that 102 pick to have a shot. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Austin hall from Memphis met with the steelers. Safety/LB hybrid. 4.5, 40 inch vertical. 4 year starter. Quite active in that defense. Good numbers every year.

Muse as well. Same type. That hybrid safety/LB. Seems to be the anti-Vince type LB they are looking for. Fits in the mold of bush, barron, UG3. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  25. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    overall, barring injury, i'm pretty comfortable with what we have at ilb….. Bush is going to be special.... Vince has his shortcomings, but the defense is drawn up to his strengths..... and i'm pretty high on gilbert... if he can stay healthy, I feel that he will overtake vince in the starting lineup... the bush/gilbert pairing will make a ton of noise around the league.... we just need one more to round out the rotation and I think that will come in the 4th rd

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2