1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best super bowl winning team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    My choice is the 1978 Steelers. That was a special team. You got a favorite?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

My favorite SB by a long shot but if they could have pulled off the victory for SB XXX it would have been extremely special as well due to the huge underdog that they were.

Still though the 85 Bears were crazy good and nobody could stop them. It's not even close. Bears best winning SB team ever.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think some of the great 49ers teams of that era could have beaten them. The 1984 team had a dominant defense of its own and Joe Montana, but one of their teams with Jerry Rice might have had better luck.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    A close second but that Bears defense would have made Rice ineffective as Montana scrambles for his life. They weren't giving any QB's a chance.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Dan Marino handled them just fine. Montana could have done that, too, with the weapons he had and, those 49ers teams had much better defenses than anybody the Bears faced in '85.

Of course we'll never know, but the 49ers' West Coast offense was perfectly designed to take advantage of the Bears' 46 defense.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I have a friend that spouted off about the '85 Bears. He is anti-liberal politically. He sent me a headline from the USA Today claiming the '85 Bears as the best team of all-time. I told him, coming from a liberal newspaper like the USA Today, that has to be fake news. Needless to say, he was speechless.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

I am 100% on board with you regarding Marino. He shredded the Bears in that game. Lit them up! In fact, it hurts to know that we had a shot at drafting him and blew it. All based on unproven rumors of supposed "shaky" off the field behavior (drug usage) in college. From which I gather, never proved true. To add to that, one would think that if they were true, he ended up in the worst city possible for that type of behavior, Miami. Cocaine capital of America. And as far as I know he never had any problems throughout his career and even after his retirement in regards to that subject.

If we had him, easily a few more rings. His entry into the NFL came with Bradshaw's exodus and those down 80's times. Yeah, we were still somewhat competitive during the 80s but always lacked a good QB. Once again, Marino was a difference maker, big time. And I think that he would have contributed to a few more Super Bowl Trophies for our display case. The Front Office gets a Big Fat "F" for their homework assignment on Dan. As I say around here.... Just Disgusting.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Stories get told and retold so hard to separate truth from legend, but somewhere I read that there were those on Steelers staff that knew the Marino's personally. When the stories about 'parties and drugs' surfaced there was a fear against drafting him, but no one ever contacted the family, Pitt coaching, or interviewed anyone to see if it was true. I know they had "Got my pension without ever playing a down" Stoudt and "Magnum P I wannbe" Malone, but come on...Dan Freaking hometown Marino with all that talent you just witnessed for 4 years. Perhaps the biggest 'Non-draft" bust in Steelers history.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As cheesy as this will sound, the 1972 Miami Dolphins would be my top choice. Still the only team to finish a season undefeated. Unless and even if a team like Kansas City obtains all the lucky breaks, I do not believe that we will ever see the day in which a team completes a season with no defeats.

The 1989 49ers would be my second team. Blowing teams out of the water in the playoffs the way they did was unreal. 1978 Steelers are my third.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not even sure that was the best Dolphins team in the '70s. From everything I've read and seen, the '73 team that crushed the Vikings in the Super Bowl was better. I've read a few times about how the '72 Dolphins faced an incredibly easy schedule.

I think the '78 Steelers, '85 Bears, '84 49ers and '89 49ers would all wipe the floor with the '72 Dolphins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't want to go too deep into things I was told, but I actually do believe that Marino dabbled in college. After seeing Joe Gilliam destroy himself with drugs, I can understand the Steelers point of view a little better. They still should have taken Marino.

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    While I agree that Marino was one of the best ever and would have helped win more games, I always wonder, would Noll have let him pass as much as Shula did?
    I have to go with the '78 Steelers over the '85 Bears. The defenses were comparable but, Bradshaw over McMahon all day long!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox Ferrum.

I love it your quote: "Magnum P I wannbe" Malone". Funeeee!

Besides that, Yes, I agree. Again Your Quote: "the biggest 'Non-draft" bust in Steelers history".

Also, you like I, agree again. Someone in the Front Office did not do their homework on Dan.

What makes it worse is your quote, once again: "there were those on Steelers staff that knew the Marino's personally". Ugh!

I remember Dan ripping us up in a playoff game. We actually were up for a very short while and then he exploded. Even Chuck Noll made a comment to the effect of something like: "Wow"!

14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The '73 Dolphins Super Bowl team was dominant. They lined up and said, "We are running it and you can't stop it" and did exactly that. Griese only threw 7 passes in the game.

15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    78 Steelers or 89 49ers IMO. As a homer I would love to say the 78 Steelers were better. The realist in me thinks the 89 49ers had the edge.

16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Rollers.

I do not know if they were the best but for me it has to be the 1974-75 Steelers. I was 11 years old at the time. Old enough to have remembered it and feel very fortunate to have "been a part of it".

I chose this one because the first one is typically the hardest one to get. I remember when the Steelers were up 2-0 and L.C. Greenwood made a comment to something of the effect: "If it came down to it, we would have held them to that 2-0 score and we were going to be the Champions". Actually, I believe the Defense did shut them out. If I remember correctly, the Vikings scored their TD on a blocked punt. It was the beginning of a great run in the 70s.

Again, I feel very fortunate to have been a part of that game and every one that followed. Shoot, I just feel honored to be a Steeler fan (smile).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  17. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    "We Are Family" was probably the greatest existing song incorporated into a team's identity. "Rubber Band Man" was the best existing song to be attached to a player. But "The Super Bowl Shuffle" was the greatest team-created song (not because of quality, mind you), and puts the '85 Bears over the top as the greatest Super Bowl winning team. That was an entire team with "Michael Vick Experience" swagger.

Okay okay okay...I can't stop laughing at Steve Fuller (QB, #4). He's so white that he can't even SWAY to the beat. He keeps bumping into Richard Dent. Why you would sandwich a whitebread honkey (I'm white, I can say that) like Fuller between Dent and the Fridge? It's hysterical.

And I didn't realize that Tomczak was on THAT team until I checked the roster to see who #4 actually was.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    s-l300.jpg

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with this. 85 Bears defense best ever but their offense keeps them from being the best SB team ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Buddy Ryan...lol

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would agree and I know the thread is about greatest SB team, but honestly I think the 76 Steelers were actually the most dominant Steelers team ever. Cannot say best as they did not get to the big dance, but that D was simply stunning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have to be a homer, I pick the 1978 Steelers they became more of a offensive team by then. That SB vs the Cowboys after that year is still my favorite.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why you laughing at Buddy :lolol:

After thinking about it some more, 85 Bears may be the best Super Bowl team, that offense had Payton and Gault, plus Fridge when they put him in there. It’s not like they were the Ravens SB team.

Being a homer though, I still think all our 70’s SB teams could beat them :yeehaw:

24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The facts say the Bears beat the 49ers in 1985 at Candlestick, 26-10, with the SF offense having 183 total yards, including 116 passing. SF only TD was a Carlton Williamson pick 6.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That wasn't the 49ers at their best. That team wasn't as good as the group the year before and it certainly wasn't as good as the 1989 team.

• Dislike Dislike x 1