1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ working out with AB??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Vox Ferrum, Mar 21, 2020.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nah, your analogies aren't very complicated. If anything, they're too simple.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That's the idea with analogies:huh:

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you guys sure this isn't an episode of "Scared Straight"?

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's why they don't work, most of the time. Not everything needs to be simplified.
    We're discussing football here, not twin prime conjecture.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This thread

upload_2020-3-23_18-41-55.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey The Glory Days.

Your Quote:

“I rarely disagree with you, and you know I appreciate you. But man, I couldn't disagree more. I could be verbose, but I'm going to try and be succinct, for once.”

No, need to explain your standpoint. None whatsoever My Friend (smile). I want you to be totally candid with me, and would expect nothing less; from you or anyone else here on The Board. I have, and will continue to respect and consider your Points of View as well as fellow Board members. My feelings are never compromised when someone disagrees with my personal stance or position on a given topic.

In fact, opposite viewpoints are expected, and needed, to create, and maintain, good quality dialogue. If we all were on the same page for a specific topic, all of the time, especially with the concern that our opposing views may not be received well, that would not be right. It would make for a very, very boring place. And one thing about “The Board” (that is my term for this Website) it is never a dull moment around here (smile). Enough of that.

I love and chuckled at one of your other quotes in this post:

“Let them collaborate on a rap album”. That is freakin’ classic. I LOVE IT. Seriously man, comical. I guess it goes along with the concept of: “Getting on with one’s life work”.

You know, some in part of my wanting Bell and Brown to return is emotional-based I admit. Just as with the departures of others such as Troy, The Bus, Franco, Terry and the list would go on and on. I guess from an Educator’s standpoint, I just hate to see such great talent wasted. Personally though, unlike your opinion, I do feel that each has something physically left in the gas tank to offer us. However, like your opinion, I agree even if they still have the physical gifts, to bring them back may be playing with fire because of their psychological attributes and mind-sets.

Finally, I am looking at what we now have with the new and vastly improved Defense. The tables have now turned in that the “O” (which had included Bell, Brown, and Bryant) once was our “Strength”. I can’t refrain myself by thinking this “D” plus an “O” with a healthy Ben, now Ebron & Vance together, and bring back Bell and Brown (even Bryant). Man we would probably be unstoppable if everyone was about team and had their collective heads screwed on straight. Plus there is a sense of urgency regarding Ben’s timeline as well as keeping this “D” unit assembled.

Oh yeah, as you noticed I bolded Bryant several times here. What do you think about giving Bryant a look at? Low Risk, High Reward IMO. Thanks for the dialogue; especially the candor. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Is that like prime + 100%

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No. It's like when you're hungry so you go in the store to buy apples and you find out they only have oranges, but you don't have any money anyway. Ya see?

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Thanks!

Makes perfect sense!

• Like Like x 1
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace.

I have to prove to myself that I can write a short response. Just Kidding. Anyway, that is a GREAT post my friend. I love it. You know this Board really makes my day sometimes. Thank you, TTF and the crew. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I hear ya. And I too am prone to fantasizing about what-ifs. It's fun to do that. But I'm separating my emotional desires from what's really best for the team. I'm more about chemistry and cohesion than individual talent. AB, for all his talent, ended up a terrible teammate. Same for Bell. Once you put yourself above the team, not to mention the entire NFL, you lose sight of the team's objective. I would rather have a cohesive unit all working in concert, than a disjointed, superiorly talented group. That's what I think you get by bringing back AB and Bell, even in their prime.

That being said, I'm not against bringing back Bryant close to vet minimum. Make it an incentive-laden contract so that he can get paid for performance. Light that fire. I like it because I think he still has some rubber left on his tires, but I don't think he's bringing baggage.

But like I've said ad nauseam, nothing positive is going to happen with our offense until we solidify our OL.

13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Hopefully he stays away from who ever is cutting ABs hair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    "Among the many things that are not needed right now is for people to make a big deal about Diontae Johnson participating in a workout with Antonio Brown. Even less needed is having notable sports reporters covering this as though it was something significant."

Even less needed than that is an article covering the noted sports reporters covering this as though it was something significant.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Give him a break will ya! He’s just trying to stop more paranoia from setting in. People may go out and start hoarding all the DJ Steeler jerseys for fear of him becoming AB 2.0....they might wanna have a DJ keepsake....

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And even less needed than that is people ranting about how we shouldn't be ranting about ranting about it:hehehe:

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My guess is DJ grew up idolizing AB and jumped at the chance to workout with him, putting aside any differences AB had with the Steelers (which really aren't DJ's business since he wasn't even a member of the team when things transpired). DJ didn't take it personal, and that's his choice, not the fans or the writers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey The Glory Days.

Yes, you are right about the O-Line needing to get it together. On top of that tough the Big Elephant in the room is our QB situation. If that is not rectified we are most likely going to see the same movie again form last season. That is unless Mason has a mjor breakthrough in Spring andSummer training as wellas proving it all to us in the Pre-Season games. We are taleneted on "O" IMO.

I am very content with our skilled Players. The issues are:

A reliable constantly good QB. End of that story. No good play at QB party over. The "D" cannot do it alone. Because of them we wil probably be competitive in every game. Howver, we have to average more than one "O" generated TD per game. That is toally unacceptable and it just will not cut it

The Skilled-Position platers have to stay healthy and be on the field at the same time. I am noot even sure if that happened once last season after Ben's exodus. They are all very good but the injuries really hurt us. Look at what we have:

RB: Conner, Whyte, Samuels, Snell (Did I leave anyone out. Oh yeah Edmunds.. A very good group that has a well-diversified set of skills. It I Conner's job as the Starter. However, he has proven to be unreliable from a health standpoint. Just my opinion here, but I sill think his body is recuperating from all of that Cancer treatment. By no means am I medical professional. However, I cannot imagine that Chemotherapy, Radiation Treatment, Medications and whatever else he may have been subjected to, did not in some way compromise his physical strength and conditioning. I think in time, barring any setbacks, his body will continue to heal and get stronger the further he is removed from treatment. Hopefully, the cancer thing is well behind him and never rears its ugly head upon him ever gain. Not just from a football stance but more importantly, a life stance. I am not going to get into each one but I like Whyte for his speed (10.4/100 Meters). That is blazing. I also like Samuels catching abilities. Very Good!

WRs: Excellent group of young, and again a diverse skill set of players that are continuing to develop a very nice chemistry. JuJu, Washington, and DJ all very, very good. And once again, if they can get on the field together in a 3-Wide they will give fits to opposing defenses. I am glad that you are not opposed to bringing back Bryant. Big Talent/Small Brain from what we have seen. He needs guidance and the right people leading him in life. Him and Ben were great together. Big Reward/Low-Risk if he can come back. It would actually be huge IMO!

TEs: Man I love McDonald. Now we have Ebron. Nice set of "Bookends". Just Wow!

O-Line: Come on guys. You could not have dropped off that fast. Get your collective rears together please.

The way I see it, we have a very good "O". A great "D"...…….but...……. need a QB. Otherwise, all is for not. Take care.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not a message board unless someone is ranting about something.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    That's offensive and racist. I am very upset right now. I am going to take a bubble bath with rose petals and sing a song about unity and fried fish. I'll come back later and respond to this after I have calmed down...if I can calm down.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Metcalf would never

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can AB get Mason down there too? Guy needs to work on some foot movement, any kind.

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    GleefulNearKoodoo-size_restricted.gif

2nd best player on the team. We will see if Minkah says "hold my beer."

25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm in line with everything you said except for us having a "very good O." I think we've got the potential to be a "good" offense. Until the rubber meets the road, we've still got last year's offense. Our OL is in flux. And if Pouncey does return, which seems highly likely now that Ben is mending well, he will likely either propel us far beyond last year's performance or sink us. But yeah, Ben's health is really going to determine the season. If he goes down, the whole thing falls apart again.