1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is our starting NT next year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Buggs? Big Dan? FA? Draft pick?

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Not enough choices. I think Buggs, Wormley, and Alualu, and Big Dan will all get a look. Though the middle 2's not natural position they have enough experience to at least fill the gap if needed. A draft pick certainly could be an option, though the other needs on the team suggest other areas be addressed before DL, unless of course someone drops that is to good to pass up.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dan Dan the lifetime contract man? :lolol: Hope he is off the roster come the first cuts.

I believe it might be Alualu or Buggs who is listed as a DT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Try to draft one late or maybe a UDFA
    Alualu can fill in if needed, I don’t know much about Wormley.

It’s definitely not a priority in the draft unless they think they can get the next Hargrave who can play NT or sub package.

I really hope that the plan does not involve Dan

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Not

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Joel Steed

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Orpheus Roye

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Alualu played some nose in tampa. Buggs could, wormly could. I'm hoping for a later round pick like penisini from utah. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm guessing it will be a combination of guys including Alualu, McCullers, Buggs and Wormley.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I believe they’ll keeep Big Dan another year for the 58 snaps we play a defensive front using a real NT......

We will be in Sub packages almost exclusively

Cajun
    <><

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it will be someone on the DL:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Why are people acting like it's hard to find a NT? They got Hargrave in the third round, they can find another one in this draft in the third or fourth round. Whoever they draft to play NT, is most likely only going to play about 35% of the snaps.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Thank you captain obvious :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I definitely see D line as a position of need, but with the signing of Wormly it alleviates some of the pressure. Hell if a stud drops and is there in the 2nd you consider it as Alualu and Cam are both bearing the end, Wormly is only a one year rental at this point, and we know the injury history of Tuitt. Not saying they will do that, but the unsexy signings of Wormly, Wis, and tagging Bud at least make this years 2nd and 3rd more amendable for BPA in several positions. Rarely are you going to get a plug and play guy that late anyway.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There are a couple reason for my response and I can only speak for myself;
    1. I love your unequivocal statements which come across as though you know, and there is no room for discussion.
    2. I love how you disappear once you have been proven wrong.
    3. As far as a rookie starting at nose tackle for the Steelers, I honestly don't see that happening. It's a complicated position and I don't think the Steelers are going to use an early enough pick to get that guy. But unlike you, I could be wrong:shrug:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Da Stellars and Everyone.

The Steelers’ Front Office, IMO, blew it with the Nose Tackle Position. Andrew Billings was a better choice than Wormley, if in fact this is the Front Office’s plan to replace Hargrave. Some of you may have seen my thread regarding getting a Nose Tackle in the prototype of Casey Hampton. I have placed the link below to that thread. The link will lead you to the initial posting of the Thread (The Return of a True Nose Tackle) and then if interested, scroll down to the very next post which outlines in detail my explanation and vision for wanting the Casey 2.0 NT Prototype. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Thread Link:
    The Return of a True Nose Tackle

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/the-return-of-a-true-nose-tackle.23992/

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Use the golf cart to get Big Dan to the huddle, he might have enough for impacting a play this way. I think we see a lot of 2 dl, 4-5 lbs, 4-5 dbs this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yep, they’ll probably be in base 25-30% of the time. It’s just not worth investing cap space or draft capital in a true NT for that number of snaps, add depth at LB and DB instead imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just my 1.43 cents (adjusting for market decline), as most of you stated, we could get a NT similar to Hargrave in rounds 3-4, and they would not play a lot.

If we had a Big Snack type NT, they would actually play a whole lot more. Casey could stuff the run and collapse the pocket. But one like him isn’t available in rounds 3-4. They are seldom available in round 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Saved me from naming the whole DL. It will be someone....I think ;)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Please share with us what market you were in that only lost 28.5%:drinks:

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Every position has its complexity, but what position on defense is less complex than nose tackle?

The Steelers have had rookies start at nose tackle. Hargrave became a starter in Week 4 of his rookie season. Casey Hampton started 11 games as a rookie. Joel Steed wasn't the primary nose tackle until his second year, but he did start four games as a rookie. Like Hargrave, Steed was a third-round pick.

I'm not sure if there is a position on defense that it would be easier for a rookie to step in and start than nose tackle. I doubt the Steelers are spending a high pick on one just because they have bigger needs and the position is a low priority, but if they do take one, the guy could definitely contribute right away.

• Agree Agree x 2