1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BPA at #49 now?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 20, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok I don’t see RB so I guess that answers my question :smiley1:

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it may be more valued when as aql has said and I agree fully, Dobbins is a complete back. We saw last year as the top rushing teams made the playoffs. He would just make the whole offense better. Samuels can catch, Snell can run, conner can't stay on the field, Dobbins can give you all these things and hold onto the ball. Pass protection is very good with him as well. He's the kind of back that would require a small learning curve and make your offense better, even the receivers we have. He has to be accounted for. I like our offensive players, but he would give us that final piece of the puzzle. Yes we have some other holes but if we are talking bpa, he at the point of helping immediately would be my choice if he's sitting there at 49. Every other position wouldn't make the impact that this would. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Only 4 out of the top 10 rushers made it to the playoffs and one was a QB (Jackson). So while the top rushing teams may have made the playoffs they did it either with RBBC or they did it with RBs that weren’t drafted that high in the draft with maybe a few exceptions, Henry(45th) and Cook(41st) Ingram and Hyde both benefited from read option systems with mobile QBs. KC and SF made the SB with undrafted RBs having a huge impact. Again not against the player but against the position. You don’t have to sell me on Dobbins,I’m not debating his skill set. It’s just my opinion that I see bigger needs. Agree to disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Winfield is more ss then fs. A lot of his numbers came against interior competition. Passes defended were non existent but he did have picks in multiple games. Maryland, Fresno st., Nebraska, decent games against psu. I don't think he is that difference maker that would make mt take Edmunds off the field for. He's the best of a weak class of safety. If you five deeper as I showed those numbers are a little misleading for the competition he made them against. I think just changing the name on the Jersey only. Not bpa. Not sure if he's the minka replacement we would need.

Cushenberry the same way. I think you can get just as good later in a guy like Jackson from yes again Ohio state. Well he was at Rutgers too. Quite solid and position flexible. Just as good a player, but not using that difference maker spot of 49.

Anae is my target in the 3rd. Plays buds side. Has good size. I don't think he's a plug and forget player early on but has tools to work with.

ILB. I'm still on the muse train. He and Bush would make a nice tandum. Brings a little bit of everything we need in that role. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    We can all pick and choose our likes and dislikes about any player in this draft including the top pick if we wanted to but all we have to go on is what we read for the "experts" and what we see ourselves. If we want to down play a prospect because of the competition they have played against that is fine but didn't we just draft 3 guys from the Mac last year? Isn't our QB from the Mac and how is that competition?

Also picking at the end of the 3rd we are missing most of these guys so our pick at 49 is so much more important. That is why I would rather pass on guys like Dobbins or Taylor. While they are good players there is pretty good players latter on in the draft like I have mentioned before in Dillon and Perine. We still have Conner and Snell the need to add a guy at RB with the 49th pick isn't as important as say a position like OG/C, SS and OLB. Everything I am reading says Anae isn't making it through the 2nd round never mind to us in the end of the 3rd. I think finding Bud's replacement is bigger than adding a RB jmo. Now I guess you can look at it the other way as well there are some nice OLB's later in the draft as well so I do see it both ways. It is all a matter of who you like and what you feel is more important. IMO I really feel like we are wide open, the only positions I would totally pass on at 49 is WR and TE. Again I will say this so I don't get dumped on like many like to do about opinions.......these are the positions I wouldn't draft.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Here are the players that were drafted at #49 the last 7 years:

2019 - Ben Banogu, LB, TCU by the Colts (Jury still out)
    2018 - Dallas Goedert, TE, S. Dakota St. by the Eagles (very good #2 TE)
    2017 - Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama, by the Redskins (played 49% of the defensive snaps in 2019)
    2016 - Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama, by the Seahawks (one very good year)
    2015 - Mitch Morse, OL, Missouri, by the Chiefs (very solid player)
    2014 - Jake Amaro, TE, Texas Tech, by the Jets (cut by the Jets, signed by Chiefs, cut by Chiefs)
    2013 - Jonathan Hankans, DT., Ohio St. by the Giants (decent player); L. Bell was picked by Steelers at #48 and Vance McDonald at #55 by 49ers

Morse and Goedert were very good picks. Hankans and Reed have been serviceable players. Anderson has not lived up to the pick. Banogu seems to be a project, and Amaro a bust.

This information tells me that the Steelers need to select the BPA. If they draft to fill a need, it may lead to an Artie Burns, while leaving a Derrick Henry or Michael Thomas on the board.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think you missed my point on winfield. Competition against good teams, with good qbs in big games against fairly equal competition. 2 picks in a game against Nebraska is not the same as two picks against say clemson. The good ones show up big in big games. Most of his interceptions were against Nebraska's or worse. North western he had another two interception game. I was looking at what he did against better competition over just numbers. Let's face it the competition will be better here. It is a very weak safety class this year. Being at the top this year is not being at the top of it were a better class for it to mean the same. I think you would welcome that I take the time to do a little more digging on my own to see these things to report here. Not just say well this guy sucks. I want to see if it will translate to the NFL and make us better. :cool:

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As I said, it is board dependent. It is not up to me. It is up to them. Below is a much more accurate representation of my viewpoints;

My three options are not based on the upcoming season but the seasons after; Offensive Tackle namely and our starting point. Keep in mind I am under the assumption that Matt Feiler will be kicked in despite the acquisition of Stefen Wisniewski. Assuming Zach Banner balls out, he will want premium money in 2021. In addition, assuming Chuks does well himself, he is likely to take Zach Banner's assumed Right Tackle spot; Banner being kicked to the left to supplant Big Al who is a Free Agent. Beyond those two, who remains on the depth chart?! All the more reason Lucas Niang for me is my first choice

As for my second, I am running out of ways to say it. So, I will just say it; Terrell Edmunds does not have a future in Pittsburgh. The Minkah trade was not just simply because Sean Davis got hurt. The Minkah trade was initiated due to the lack of turnovers in the secondary. Why else did the Interceptions rev up substantially in comparison to last season; a 2018 Season which had Pittsburgh as the NFLs Leader in sacks?! Terrell's lack of ball production is beyond the level of concerning. Its disgraceful. Strong Safety or otherwise, generating turnovers is essential as a Defensive Back; Safety doubly so. Add the fact that both Minkah and Terrell are from the same class and the writing is on the wall as the team simply is not paying for two First Round picks from the same class; one that has underperformed no less. Jeremy Chinn, unlike Terrell, will have time to develop. Once he fully understands the full aspects of the defense; by the time Terrell is gone, Jeremy will be what Terrell should have been.

For my final one, JuJu's contract is coming up. No doubt he will want top dollar. Sure, Ben coming back will help JuJu but it will also assist JuJu's market value substantially,; doubly so if he rebounds in a big way. Even not accounting him, generating a high volume of points is essential given the teams Offensive Woes in 2019. One can never have too many Receivers; as shown in 2019 where our depth was tested big time. To ensure that there is not just a reliable option but also a Red Zone machine, Ter Higgins fits the bill here. Yes, his Pro Day was not very good. Then again, JuJu, James or Diontae were not the usual "SPARQ Heroes" Pittsburgh scouts when scouting players. When it comes to Receivers, one thing that Pittsburgh does scout is ball tracking, catching in traffic, instincts and being a natural hands catcher. Tee Higgins is all of the above and fits the Steeler mold for what they look for.

Overall, these statements above are a full representation of what I believe will benefit the team the most. There were other options as well; Dobbins being one of them. The issue is, the focus has to benefit both the short and long term; not just one area. This is augmented even greater by Pittsburgh not selecting in the First Round for the first time since 1967; over 50 years ago.

I oh most definitely cannot predict who the Steelers will pick. I can be certain of this. Pick 49 is going to have impact the ENTIRE roster in a big way since Ryan Shazier did back in 2014. Pick 49 MUST be a home run. No excuses

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't disagree with what you are saying I just was bringing up a point no harm man and I do appreciate you putting the time in and not just spouting off like some :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Higgins is too similar to the WRs the Steelers already have as far as speed, if they go WR #49 get one that has some speed like Mims or Claypool. Higgins didn't play good vs LSU, he also ran slow at his pro day.

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I read an amazing stat on Lucas Niang. In 28 career starts he never allowed a sack playing right tackle. That's playing in the Big-12 where they pass 60 times a game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again, JuJu, James (timed speed mind you) and Diontae were not blazers. In addition, Pittsburgh needs as much Offensive Firepower as possible. That said, there is one major selling point; catching ability.

There really is not a better option in the draft and nevermind at pick 49 than Tee Higgins. Besides, what is the point of having tremendous speed without tremendous catching skills?! Concentration drops are a major issue for Claypool.

As for Denzel Mims, if he gets to pick 49, something is not right there.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It is hard for me to get on the WR at 49 train since I am one of the few that feels out WR group is pretty good. Yes speed kills however Juju, JW and DJ continue to get open deep a lot. Now last year was a joke with Ben being hurt so imo you have to throw all that out. I mean who has the longest TD in steeler history....Juju, TWICE @ 97YDS.

None of these guys are "burners" however either was AB and look how many times he was open deep. I am just saying to add another guy to this group is fine I will never be against weapons in today's NFL. However with not having a 1st rounder and so many bigger issues I am not liking a WR or RB at 49. jmo

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Very valid points. As you already know I would have a interest in someone like Reagor though because I feel he brings a couple added dimensions to what we currently have at WR. Jmo

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Let me say this as a fan I am happy with what we have now but I also want to point out something. This is the last year of Juju's contract and only the Steelers know if they are going to offer him one. If the Steelers are not looking to break the bank on him and there is a chance of him being gone than my opinion of a WR at 49 changes. I didn't think about this being a contract year for Juju and the possibility of him not being here next year.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Good point I would be surprised if. jUJU didn’t get a 2nd contract with us. That being said ,you never know. Like I said I’d be looking for a Hardman,T. Hill type of WR because of the different aspects they bring to a offense.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like BPA there but RB is the one I want least. Mostly because I feel Snell can be a lead back. Think people are sleeping on him. I predicted last season that he will take the starting roll in year two. I’m sticking with it.

I’m hoping there is a lineman there worth taking, not a sexy pick but one I feel they need most. I think it will be OLB though which I’d also like because if Bud has another season like he did last year, he’s gone and if he reverts to Dud, he’s gone.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Not sure if you remember but last draft season a was on the Snell train but in this day and age you need 2 good ones and I am fine with taking one later just not at 49. Scroll up and you will see I mentioned both an olineman and OLB over a RB.....even named one. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Good players drop often, sometimes there's a run on certain positions that will cause players to drop. I don't recall Mims having problems dropping passes, he's really good at those 50/50 balls.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Windfield and Cushenberry would both good choices.

I know you said you don’t like WR or TE at 49 but how do you feel about Claypool? He’d be a useful weapon that you can line up at both WR and TE.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have seen a lot of talk on him here I can't give an opinion right now without looking more at him but I can tell ya I am oline, SS, OLB heavy right now. The more I look at it if Cush is there he is looking like my guy right now. I am also liking Anae as well, 49 might be to high but since we are picking at the bottom of 3 might have to risk it here. jmo. :smiley1: I know really ignored Claypool but I am just not up to speed on him yet...lol

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well he’s Notre Dame so, obviously I like him :lolol:

Julian Okwara is another ND player that I like at OLB. Don’t know if he makes it to 49 though. I’ve seen some put him in the first which is a little high, I’m thinking early 2nd.

• Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Never stated Mims was not good at 50/50 contested catches. All I am stating is that something might not be right if Mims falls that far given his skillset and character. Something else might have been discovered within his past. If that is the case, automatic no as Pittsburgh has shied away from such players.

That being said, I doubt there has been any issue with Mims. As such, given his capabilities and home run speed, Denzel Mims is likely a late 2st option. If not, most definitely early Day Two.

Higgins might not have the speed but he does have the best hands and has arguably the best ball tracking abilities in the entire class. In addition, given the fact that Higgins played every Receiver spot gives him an early edge in terms of what the Steelers look for in Wide Receivers.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

....i won't hold that against ya......lol! :roflmao::thumbs_up:

I have read some on Okwara and I think you are right he goes before our rick. Good class of OLB's imo

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would say after the free agency signings these positions are in play at #49
    Safety
    OLB
    ILB
    WR
    OL
    Maybe RB