1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BPA at #49 now?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 20, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There’s a slew of RBs that will be available later. I wouldn’t go any earlier than a 4th. If the wheels fall off our RBs again this year I would address the position early next year. I do want to mention someone who hasn’t got any pub around here and I kept forgetting to bring him up but the kid Helaire from LSU isn’t getting any hype around here. He’s a helluva back....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you don't draft bpa as an if player. We have Wisniewski now for the interior. They will work with gentry. Dobbins would make an immediate upgrade over any back we have. Safety of interior ol is not better then what we have so they are bench players IF. Depth only. Same as edge rusher. I don't think at 49 any will be better right now then what we have behind the starters. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they know plenty about dobbins. It's not like he is from podunk, arkansas. If our scouts and gm and coaches are not monitoring Ohio state for the last 10 years we are in trouble. He was 6th in the showman voting and one of it not the best back in the country. He has better stats and higher vote count then Taylor and plays on a major team that has been top 5 at least for the past 3 years or longer. plus they are in close proximity to pittsburgh. Please 6 don't insult people's intelligence. :cool:

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They don't know about his health, he skipped the combine so no medicals.
    Taylor>Dobbins
    You're the one insulting people's intelligence, when you make statements that Dobbins would start over Conner this season.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I hear what you’re trying to say mac but I think you can absolutely draft BPA at #49. Even though they have gone all in with certain aspects of the team doesn’t mean you don’t look at the future as well. Remember it’s a 2nd round pick not a 1st and it’s not only about this year. A guy like Cushenberry could not only be your Center for the next 10yrs he could very well end up being your starting G this year. There is talk of moving Feiler and having Banner and Chuks at T but we don’t know how that is going to turn out. The smartest thing may be to just leave Feiler where he is and have Wisniewski, Gray and someone like Cush fight for the the Guard spot and when Pouncey is gone, he slides over. A edge rusher will need to be groomed or we will be in the same position again next year at OLB,so that has to be considered.

Safety is woefully thin especially at FS and a guy like Winfield could be a play away from being needed. He also has slot ability which is also important because Hilton and Sutton are both FAs next year and a decision on Edmunds will need to be made. You can’t just wait until you need to fill a position before you draft it. A 2nd round pick should be someone who you not only see as a future starter but you also have to consider the depth on the roster and the likelihood that player can step in right away if needed....

I’m not trying to say Dobbins isn’t a good player but we do already have a stable of guys. I know it’s a big IF but if Conner is healthy it’s going to be awfully hard to unseat him as the starter. We already know too well MT is gonna run his starter into the ground. If Conner does indeed get hurt, well then you’re gonna look like a prophet but as it stands today Conner is gonna get first crack. If the OL does its job then Conner is going to run well,he’s proven that. If the OL doesn’t do it’s job....is it gonna matter much who is running the ball? I think it would be great to add a talent like Dobbins but IMO when you factor everything else into the equation we have bigger needs. Not only for this year but the future. There are quite a few very good RBs that will be available (see my link above) I’m of the belief you draft a RB that high when you actually really need one ,because the RB position is the easiest to do well at early as a pro..jmo

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Damn right, he's 225lbs and runs a 4.3

• Like Like x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Everyone is an if player that is why the draft is a 50-50 chance. This is where you and I differ I am drafting one of the guys I mentioned to be the starter in 2021. Which means they will get time this year, who do we have that is better than what the experts are saying Winfield can be? How about Cushenberry or even Anae(or your guy Baun) right now? We are drafting a guy at 49 with upside not a guy like Ola who we have to work with a tear or two and still don't know what we got. I am seeing the guy whoever it be as a guy at one of these positions I have mentioned as a starter in 2021, not a role player/backup like half our bench is. jmo

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    CBS sports mock draft has us taking Helaire at #49.

11. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    The crazy thing is that we might have the second choice of RB at 49, after Swift.

The way how free agency is falling and the recent trades, the stars might line up once again, like Decastro fell to us.

I can only see Miami and TB going RB early in the 2nd, but they have bigger needs on OL, and they might feel RB might fall to them early in the 3rd.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    which means nothing. They played at 217, Taylor put weight on for the combine, Dobbins took some off. Big dan is huge too but......... Dobbins 6th in the heisman voting, Taylor 10th. Taylor also has about 200 more carries many less catches and isn't near as good in pass blocking because he didn't do it often. And no Dobbins didn't skip the combine. He went through medicals but is coming off of hurting his ankle in the playoff game against clemson. He chose not to do on field testing. Dobbins also showed up big in the big games. Taylor not so much. That is well documented. Dobbins is 2nd all time at Ohio state, that's a big deal. Glad to see my old buddy still on the list at number 5 Tim spencer. I'm sure he would take him down there in tampa. :cool:

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    just as you are saying though Conner is in the last year of his contract and hasn't stayed healthy in any year.:cool:

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I played in hs with Tim spencer. He is still 5th all time rb in Ohio state history. He was their rb coach for many years. He is Tampa bay rb coach. He knows all about dobbins. He lives in Columbus still and goes to those games and knows the staffs. His son and brother played there too. He has the access. That would be brutal if Tom Tom gets a back like him. :cool:

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Really? I don’t particularly like RB in that spot but I do like the player a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't be happy with that pick, I'm thinking the Steelers will go BPA #49, maybe WR, OL, Safety, ILB, OLB should be in play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It does mean something Taylor having 4.3 speed, they haven't had a RB with breakaway speed since Willie Parker :shrug:. Dude you aren't the only one to watch Ohio State play football, I have seen Dobbins play plenty of times.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Dobbins ran a 4.44 in hs. He had a 43 inch vertical. He was in the finals of the Texas state 100 meter dash. He's got plenty of break away speed. Not much difference between 4.39 and 4.44. the great ones show up in the big games. Keep trying. :cool:

19. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Agree, Dobbins is fast, but No. We need WRs in the worst way. Claypool is night and day compared to what we have on the boundary now.
    Basically as far as I am concerned, if one of Claypool, Mims, Pittman falls to that 49 spot, gotta turn in the card and get them.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's probably a moot point anyways, neither one of them will most likely be there at #49.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That might be too early for Pittman, I like him though he catches those 50/50 balls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I agree with mac daddyo regarding J.K. Dobbins. Among the "Big Three" this year among RBs, J.K. Dobbins is the most complete out of the three. In an era where having a complete, three down option is now becoming a rarity, backs like Dobbins have higher value. Add his tremendous ball security and durability and Dobbins stands out among both Swift and Taylor.

Johnathan Taylor scares me honestly. 1k touches is nothing to scoff at. RB by committee or not, his tread is not very appealing; fumble issues doubly so. Regarding Swift, injury concerns are immense.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Both true but still doesn’t rule out taking a RB later that can step in easier than any other position on the field. We also have Snell why should we not expect the jump from him that we are expecting from the other young guys on the roster? The RB position has been devalued in the league. I’m not hating on the player. I’m just against the position at #49. I see bigger needs on the team....jmo

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not against Dobbins. I’m against RB at 49. What’s your take on that?

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My take?!

Board is wide open. BPA for me. For more info, see my signature.

That said, if I am to take a RB this draft, nab Dobbins.