1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Ebron

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Mar 5, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    WR,S ILB,OL,RB all on the list for the 6 picks...imo

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You left off outside linebacker. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them draft a potential replacement for Dupree in the second or third round, then let Dupree walk as a free agent next offseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes a deep threat, somebody to take the top off. Im not a draft guy but it is supposedly a great draft for receivers. Deon Cain is still on the roster and has potential if all else fails. If they can get a reliable threat there to keep teams honest I think they’ll have a very nicely balanced offence.

Agree they also need to get younger on the OLine. Pouncey & AV will probably retire with Ben, and Decastro is getting up in the years too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    It would be important even as a rotational piece and injury cover for 2020. They are one injury away from Ola or Skipper starting. Perhaps one of them can take a step forward but it would be a gamble.

Given they seem to be going ‘all in’ for 2020 I’d expect them to use #49 on offence though

5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Mims might be the speed guy that we take if he is still there. He ran a 4.37 at the combine so chances are somebody will grab him up before #49.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yep, especially Matt Rhule the new coach of the Panthers and Baylor's ex HC. They pick at the top of the 2nd and they really only have Curtis Samuel at WR and DJ Moore.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I highly doubt Denzel Mims is going to be available at pick 49. It is entirely possible he is now a late 1st at best and early Day 2 at worst. Nevermind his overall game but his athletic profile is tremendous.

The finer points is what he will need some work on for sure. That said, keeping it simple for him early should be no issue. Instant impact rookie without question.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Fingers crossed for Tee Higgins. Pittsburgh has shown in the Colbert era, especially within the past 5 seasons, athletic scores are nugatory when it comes to evaluating Wide Receivers. Their ability to catch from, just about anywhere seems to be where the focus lies. Higgins fits that to the literal "T" as he has the best hands of any Receiver in the class as any pass within his ridiculous reach is going to be caught.

Add the fact that he is a nightmare in the Red Zone and now the Steelers have three Red Zone threats.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think we have a thing for TE`s that drop passes.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    ....and are injured often

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    OLB was a oversight by me. It’s a need for 2021 likely. I just forgot to add it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mac daddyo.

Well, at least I know it is just not me with this mode of thinking. I feel that he would be a good choice from the standpoint that if Ben is healthy enough to return, Mr. Dalton would not mind being the back-up, at least on a short-term basis. Andy had played admirably in his time with the Bengals. he knows how to win. Not against us so much (smile). nonetheless, he is definitely in the top half of QBs in the league IMO. Also, as I stated, he is familiar with the division which is invaluable.

Given the short window of time we have with the Defensive contracts, not so much the "O", we need to be playing to win. Just as all these good years were "wasted" with those great skill players we had on the "O" I do not want to see the same transpire with our new found "D". However, this is on Tomlin and Company. I know that there are a lot of Tomlin lovers here, I was but no more, however, he cannot let this slip like he did when we were loaded at the "O". We should have had another ring or two with all of those weapons that he had to play with: Bell, Brown Bryant, McDonald. Totally Inexcusable.

If Ben can come back pre-injury form.... great. If not, Mason and Duck are not ready yet to keep it going. Not now anyway. We need a proven Veteran and for me my choice is Dalton. I am not listening to Ben stating in the Media that he feels "Great". No! And I am also not listening to Mr. Rooney stating that he is comfortable with our current QB status. No way again. Go get Dalton Mr. Rooney! Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox Ferrum.

Thanks for the support. Now, I have two on my side. Please read the response above this post to mac daddyo. No sense in repeating myself here. Nonetheless, Dalton makes sense. Now, whoever is at the Cap Controls for Pittsburgh needs to figure this out. Take care.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  14. adullin

adullin Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Ebron looked good and bad in Detroit. He would either make a super catch or drop a ball that landed in his hands.

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Dalton would be my choice too but looking at his contract he is set to earn nearly $18m next season. Even if the Bengals agreed to trade him to a division rival it would be impossible to take on that salary. There is nothing to figure out, they can’t do it imo.

Mariota or Winston was doable, with a cleverly structured deal you could have gotten either on the roster at under $5m. Mariota is gone to Las Vegas and Winston is going to have to accept a backup role somewhere. He is not getting starter money. Steelers don’t seem to have any interest in him anyway.

16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelersFanIrl.

Wow! I am not a Cap guy at all. I usually leave that to those on The Board who enjoy researching those things. I am more of a I like this FA now Front Office go make it happen. Oh well, according to your information it ain't. Dalton's contractual numbers are astronomical as you pointed out. Than you for that. I feel he would be a good fit here. This is unfortunate. I just feel that Dalton would like to play for us as well. Just a "gut-feeling". He has very good career statistics and knows our division. Thank you again. I will still hang onto a sliver of hope that somehow, someway it can still happen.

Mariota or Winston definitely not in my "gut". Never been impressed by either performance-wise and I also feel that Winston is a complete jackass on a personal level. Mostly based on his College antics. In all fairness to him, as far as I know, he has matured since coming to the NFL. I do not follow him either. So, if Winston has done something outrageous on a personal level since being in the NFL I have not heard about it. Also, in fairness to him, some will make the same argument about Ben. However, we all know Ben got his act together and has chilled out since being on the brink of banishment from the NFL or even worse. Take care.

17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think they can get a solid backup like Dalton until Ben is off the books, you can’t have that much tied up in the QB position.

The unfortunate thing about that is that if Ben misses a few games (not unlikely) you are back to Mason and it could derail the season. The recent free agency moves tell us that the team is in ‘go’ mode for 2020. It’s unnerving to have that glaring soft spot.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    It's been a need for 5 years now. Unless the plan is to justify the first round selection.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    This is a good move for one reason. At TE we were screaming "help!" and he certainly does this, particularly in combination with Vance. A double TE set around 1st down markers and the endzone is a good thing, especially at this price. They 've filled an area of need short term.

The Good: Has a knack for finding the Endzone for a big guy that just kind of lumbers around.
    The Bad: Negligible Pass Defender.
    The Ugly: Injury prone and has dropped a few.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelersFanIrl.

Yes, I get the Cap Situation better now. I forgot who crunched the numbers for me but I thanked that person as it was stated that it would cost us about 18 Million to get Dalton. Oh well, so much for that idea.

I feel that Dalton would be a good choice from the standpoint that if Ben is healthy enough to return, Mr. Dalton would not mind being the back-up, at least on a short-term basis. Andy had played admirably in his time with the Bengals. (very good statistics) he knows how to win. Not against us so much (smile). nonetheless, he is definitely in the top half of QBs in the league IMO. Also, as I stated, he is familiar with the division which is invaluable.

If Ben can come back pre-injury form.... great. If not, Mason and Duck are not ready to keep it going. Not now anyway. We need a proven Veteran and for me my choice is Dalton. I am not listening to Ben stating in the Media that he feels "Great". Nope, not buying it right now! And I am also not listening to Mr. Rooney stating that he is comfortable with our current QB status. No way again! Dalton is younger than Ben and could be a long-term solution for us when Ben's contract expires. I get the Cap issues. I really do. Come on Steeler Cap Central. Make it happen. Ben is done contractually in two years I believe. I love Ben and all that he has done for us. Even if he returns to Pre-Injury form his contract is up shortly and we have to move on. It is just the nature of the game/business.

Tell Dalton the job is his when Ben leaves. Put it in blood if need be. Dalton knows the division. He just has not been around a winning atmosphere. Look at his statistics. It took a little work to put it into a table. They are "admirable". He will do better when he comes over to a "Real Winner". So, it better have been worth it. Hey, I even put his statistics in our colors. Now he has to come over (smile). Make it happen Steelers Central! Take care.

Q.jpg

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With them only having 6 picks, they might not draft a RB, just have to hope Conner can stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he hasn't yet. :cool:

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    This is true, if they don’t take a RB I won’t really be annoyed. I think they will be hoping for more from Benny Snell in 2020 too. I thought he got better as the season went on. A full season from Conner would be amazing but you can’t make your plans around it unfortunately

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Fortunately they signed Canada, otherwise you would have to add LS. :stogie:

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers have surprised me in Free Agency.... several decent acquisitions. Now, if only McDonald and Ebron can stay healthy and Finctner can utilize them in the game plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1