1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Dupree, Ebron, Wisniewski, Watt

16 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Finney, Nix, Fackrell or someone similar to replace Dupree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Easy choice for me Dupree and that group of players

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Though it was a trade and not a FA move, adding Wormley in that mix also makes the first choice easier to pick. All of the moves make drafting for future depth in various positions more feasible. Still hate the price tag on Bud, but given the options out there, and what they have accomplished with so little Cap is very good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The first group with Dupree is substantially better, it’s not even up for debate really.

What can be debated is the cost / benefit of all these restructures that virtually guarantees another two off seasons of cap difficulty, and a particularly risky restructure with Ben. I think they must be pretty optimistic about Ben, no way they’d have signed that cheque otherwise. I am comfortable with the approach and I am glad that they are going all in. There is probably going to be a fallow period once Ben retires unless they get lucky in the draft, might as well go for it now.

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not even know if this is doable, but the only way I see this working with Ben's hit next year is him extending for another year at some unpaid rate, with him fully expecting to retire that following year, the hit would then be cut in half over the next 2 and the following year. not sure how feasible that is, but no way you can handle a 40 plus million hit, plus the other restructures, and sign the home grown talent. Even with the expected cap number to grow, the market price will as well.

5. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah that’s doable, OTC has his combined roster bonus and base salary at $19m for 2021, they should be able to push some of that out to a throwaway year in 2022. Not ideal, but doable

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I hated to see Finney go but was exited to see Watt replace Nix!! Solid upgrade!!

Cajun
    <><

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Are you sure that’s a accurate number because last I heard they weren’t sure if it was a full restructure or not. I thought there were a couple players where the full details of the restructuring was unknown. Maybe that changed in the last day or two.....

8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes it’s an estimate that I got from OTC, any cap figures you see anywhere now are educated guesses really. I doubt it’s too far off though

• Like Like x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Fackrell, Finney, Ebron and Watt....

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's not a poll option

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not into polls unless they’re fishing poles...;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The poll is a little misleading. I think they would have signed Ebron either way.

Now if you ask if I would rather have Dupree, Wisniewski and Watt or Fackrell, Nix and Finney, that is still an easy decision. Watt is an upgrade over Nix. Dupree is much better than Fackrell or the other cheap replacements brought up on this board. Wisniewski is comparable to Finney.

The real issue is money. They did lose some financial flexibility by tagging Dupree, but I expect him to be gone for the 2021 season.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    To me, getting worked up about a players salary and the impact on the quality of the on field product is like arguing over whether we should plan to play golf on October 27th. We as fans simply don't have enough information available to us regarding the posturing and manipulation of contracts to intelligently engage in such a discussion.