1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free agency 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    6 million is a lot to give to a guy that only played 30% of the snaps last year. There may have been some underlying issues that caused that but that shouldn’t matter right? I don’t have much hope in him turning it around. That doesn’t happen too often does it? I think it would be wise to consider the previous years performance and steer clear of those guys at all costs....

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I guess that's possible, but it seems a bit simplistic. Villanueva is not an idiot. You would think he would be able to retain what Munchak taught him. It's also not as if he is devoid of talent. Villanueva is a huge man with quick hands and decent athlete.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe Ben could override him but I doubt he would.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Munch is a tactician, he studies tape relentlessly and is able to pick out mistakes and keep poor habits from taking hold. I think it’s a bit dismissive to say that these guys are professionals and are able to retain what they were taught. What do you need coaches for then once they have done their job? It’s an ongoing endeavor.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben is big on trust and he trusts Conner. Getting to the point where he would trust any rookie RB over Conner would be a big deal I don’t see happening too soon

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If they used a Dobbins, Conner might be available later in the season. :shrug:
    Am I reaching on the availability part? It usually takes what, about 4 games for him to be out?

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I can honestly see them using a jumbo package with Mac on the line by the RT and Ebron on the left with Conner and Watt then motioning Ebron out to the slot similar to what the Ravens were doing. It forces mismatches at TE or clears out underneath for the backs out of the backfield. That's only if RF gets his head out of his backside

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I liken it to pitchers learning something new from a pitching coach and carrying those improvements forward. That isn't to mean they don't still need that coach, but they shouldn't fall apart without them.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm guessing he will seem a little smarter with a legitimate quarterback taking the snaps.

I think that is what they wanted to do last season, but they didn't have the talent at tight end or a viable fullback most of the time. The only downside is that means a lot less work for an emerging group of receivers.

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well maybe the thinking is when Vance isn't on the field there is a drop off so between these two one would be on the field? I have always been one who like the "receiving" TE the NFL has gone the passing route so I am on board. Let''s see what happens but the more I look at this the more I am liking these options for Ben.

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I don't think there's any chance Dobbins makes it to 49 but, despite needs elsewhere, if he does fall, I'm all for it. Maybe Swift, Taylor, and runs on other positions helps us.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Didn't he trust bell as a rookie?

As for the 30% of the plays for 6 mil., isn't that what they pay Vince for the same? Actually more. Just busting your chops my friend.:smiley1:

We shall see how they use him but my concern is both he and vmd health and how long it lasts. I hope gentry makes some strides. It may be fun to watch when they are healthy though.:cool:

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He did but he kinda had no choice either. Who was the proven incumbent on that roster at RB. LB also proved to not only be good in PS as a blocker,but exceptional

As far as Ebron? That was totally sarcastic ( should of used green font) that was a dig at the misconception that just because someone is coming off a bad season doesn’t mean he can’t improve the following year..:smiley1:

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Manny Sanders to the Saints.. Another team pushing in all the chips for a last run with the franchise QB. Him and MIchael Thomas, that's a pretty good tandem right there. And Kamara....

• Like Like x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah if the season does start I have a feel this year it will be the have's vs the have not's. I think in the NFC so far you have the Buc's, Eagles, Saints, SF and maybe the Cards. In the AFC KC, Rat's and a bunch of questions like us, Raiders, Broncos, Bills, Titans and even the clowns. JMO

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Can he stay on the field? Brees might be setting more records.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Nfc is a lot more loaded than that. Cant count out Seahawks and packers. AFC is going to come down to Baltimore and KC. Rest are far from their level.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Wait till preseason, the Browns or Cheats will be SB bound. :hmmm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I agree with the Seachicks and Pack but I just see both just under the ones I named. I am by no means couthing them out just don't put them right there.....based on moves so far. jmo

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Nick Vannett to the Broncos and Artie Burns to the Bears.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The trade for Vannett was a mistake. Luke Willson, who the Seahawks ended up signing to take Vannett's place, was available as a free agent at that time. They could have had a comparable player without throwing away a draft pick.

That said, Vannett was gone the minute the ink on Ebron's contract dried. Burns was gone long before that. Both will have some value for their new teams. Vannett is okay as a backup. Burns is a useful special teams player even if he never becomes even a decent backup at cornerback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ugh, what a waste of a draft pick that trade was.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yep a bummer. Broncos like their OSU TEs I guess, they got Heuermann too.

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He, not only, looks fat. He also, look old and tired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben isn't fat dude, it's the beard, he said he has been working out with a trainer and training camp is 4 months away.