1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree is the perfect candidate for a one-year tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No they aren’t. With Ben healthy last season, they make a run for the SB. Not saying they would have won it all but they definitely would have been in the mix.

Defense alone almost got them to the playoffs last year with the clown show they had under center.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Armchair GM's hmmmm, so please explain to me what a message board is for? Let's me guess to respond with "Colbert will figure it out" or maybe just copy and paste tweets? Nice job at deflecting from the real topic, 8-8 is competive and the Steelers push money down the road all the time.......please tell me the last time we had a player with a 41 m cap hit? At some point it will bite us in the a$$ but then again Colbert will figure it out right?????

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok that was last year how about the year before???? We have missed the playoff the last 2 years while going 8-8 hardly competitive!

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The team is more reflective of last year than 2 years ago, no? Steelers are always in a playoff hunt, that’s competitive, no? You make it sound like we are the Browns and the season is over after week 1.

Fact is, Steelers are the 2nd winningest team after NE since 2000. Kicking the can down the road works for them. And I’m really not worried about 2021, I want them to put the best team on the field for this season in hopes of capitalizing on what time they have left with Ben.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're probably one of those same fans who were complaining when Bud got his 5th year option picked up last year, the Steelers made their decision get over it :shrug:. Colbert will figure it out, that's why he's a top 5 GM in the league, he put together a top 5 defense last season subpar QB play held them back. Colbert>Armchair GMs

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No for the 2nd time I do not think we are the browns and I do understand how many wins we have in that time frame. Am I not allowed to worry about our future to keep that going? People keep bringing up our wins yet the last 2 years we have missed the playoffs, haven't had a playoff win since 2016 season. Haven't been to a SB since 2010(a loss) all that time having some of the most talent in the NFL. So sorry if me as a fan wants more, I know my goal every year is the SB. I also know that every year you can't be there but when you have the talent we have had I certainly expect more than just competitive.

I too want the best TEAM on the field and that is why I have felt the way I do about the bud signing. My thinking is just that best TEAM while a few here think Bud is the best the facts are he had a great season but he isn't the only one. Like I told ya before go to the Bud/Henry thread where this was beat to death for over a month. I don't believe you commented much if at all but I am willing to bet you read a bunch there since it was one of if not the top thread. Many of us talked about players to sign at a lower price and use that money to get our other guys signed and beef up the TEAM. Yes Frackell was ONE name so was Beasley(12m), Golden, Jenkins, Van Noy(12.7), Orchard, McPhee, Kendricks we some others. The point was sign a guy cheaper so we could sign our own and sign a replacement for Digger or upgrade the S spot, all making the TEAM better. We didn't want to see money pushed down the road, yeah some of it would have had to happen however to push so much that we have a 41 mil cap hit is crazy no? How does that help keep us competitive next year, how does that make sense with so many questions around Ben's health? We live or die with Ben and this move could kill us for next year, but I know I am just an armchair GM. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Dude get over it, yeah I was one of them who didn't like it and I am sure if you go back and check there were plenty here who was like that. If you get time between class maybe you can dig up that thread before you point fingers at one person.

Also so your small mind can understand this nobody is or has said Colbert is a bad GM. I am pretty sure if you paid attention you would see many here stick up for KC. Also let me explain something to you, and maybe read this twice so you can understand it. We are on a message board talking about our team, no one here is better than any other. No one here is right or wrong these are opinion.....let me define opinion for you.......a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

If you don't like someone's opinion not need to trash them move on by. It is people like you who look to argue with some over their opinion. Yes there is a few of you here and that is fine but no need to be a jerk, you want to debate let's debate if not STFU! I hope you want to debate cause you have some good stuff....some, but just because me or someone else don't see it the way you do way no need to attack. If you choose not to be civil then just pass me on by I don't have time for guys like you.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't think the last two years is a good indication of where the needle appears to be pointing. To have 3 playoff wins in the last 9 years with the talent this team had is pretty telling. Yes, our defense wasn't as strong as we would have liked but we had the offensive talent to outscore anyone and we get 3 playoff wins in 9 years? Coupled with an owner who seems to be oblivious?

Let's hope that some how, some way, the message has gotten to all of them that THIS ISN"T STEELER FOOTBALL!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    At least i'm in the majority that believes that Dupree getting 15. whatever is a mistake. And I was against the 5th year option.

But it's water under the bridge at this point. Another year and he will be gone so lets hope he can muster up another effort which I have my doubts. He will not be signed long term. Unless they tell Alvin that there is a trade partner before the draft and he will see $ signs, sign the tag and be traded. We get a 1st and a 3rd. The defense will be fine without him.

Some nice OLB/DE prospects which still could be in the cards in this years draft.

And the reality is that with all the restructures Watt won't get a new deal in 2021, they will have to just give him the 5th year option. 2022 with Ben off the books will be the time. And that time will be massive. Fitzpatrick will have to be resigned as well.

They need to lock up Heyward this season. And it won't come cheap. He will be a FA next season. Might have to mortgage more of the future with other players to make this happen :eek: He counts 13 against the cap.

And maybe Dan Dan the Lifetime Contract man can come alive in his 6th year! :lolol:

They better address the nose position. Maybe they use Alualu in this situation. Which would limit the rotation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s all about perspectives I guess right? You can look at the last 2 years and say we were so close or you can look at the last 10 and say for this franchise and the talent they had ,they have disappointed and underachieved. Me personally I say they underachieved. Some fans tend to look at it on more of a year to year basis and a where are we as of today perspective. The part I don’t buy into and just sounds like excuse makings to me is....well if we had a defense in 2018 ,we coulda. If we had Ben in 2019 we coulda....they didn’t. Every year is different as well. Sure it would be great to be able to merge a prolific Ben with a stifling D,I don’t think it works that way. You can talk about what if’s but at the end of the day the question is....did you get it done? and the answer for the last 10yrs is no.
    I don’t see 8-8 and missing the playoffs as competitive because you don’t get Ws for IFs. You have to actually make the playoffs to even be considered competitive of anything.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    A couple solid points and although this is a Dupree thread, it has also taken on a "State of the Steelers" thread so I will add this.

As much as I hate Belichick for cheating I love his philosophy of "play for the team or play elsewhere" ...... our coach's philosophy is "no matter how big of an idiot you want to be, the team will cover for you". And in my opinion that is the driving reason we have become underachievers!

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well “obviously “ I’m not gonna sit here and pretend like I know exactly what was going on in the locker room. I will say though I listened to a interview with Cam. He was being interviewed by Pat Mcafee. He was asked about the AB situation in the lockers. What he said and I’m paraphrasing is...he didn’t realize it was that bad. He said it probably shouldn’t be cliquey in the locker room but that Offense hung out with O and D with D. That doesn’t seem like the proper way a team should be in the locker room. I thought it was quite telling that he said that and seemed almost embarrassed to admit it. If you think about it it makes some of the things that were leaking out of the lockers make a little more sense. There was the Porter pitting O vs D. There were things said about Ben being close with his OL and small amount of others. There were others as well. Cliquey probably best describes it and that’s not how a team should be. Cam also questioned his own leadership somewhat and the same could probably be questioned about the others who are supposed to lead by example.

Say what you want about Belichick but his “ my way or the highway “ seems to be effective. You can’t argue with the results.....

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I saw it coming after the Cowboys loss on 11-13-2016 when Ben said THIS TEAM IS UNDISCIPLINED AND UNACCOUNTABLE. If that didn't point to a mess, nothing will. It was then, after that season, that Ben talked retirement; to me that was a loud and clear message! I think Ben's message was, I don't want to be in this ****-show anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree 8-8 is average imo and year injuries are a big deal however that is why it is a team. That is why you have a 53 man roster and a practice squad. I had to fight with my son when telling him we had the injury bug....he is an Eagle fan and they also had an injury bug last year. I think they had the most starters out or most people on IR or something like that, they made the playoffs.

It is what it is and everyone does look at it different, I am much like you I don't see us competitive. With the talent on this team, with the rich coaching history we have with the great ownership we have one would think all that mixed with one of the most talented rosters would lead to more that 3 playoff wins in the last 10 years right?

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Fixed that for ya:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the Jets hold the title of most injuries last season. They didn’t make the playoffs but they sure as hell beat us. I don’t care who your QB is you need to find a way to win that game with playoffs on the line. That’s on the players and the HC regardless of who took the field that day. Beat them with preparation, scheme and effort. We didn’t. That’s why it’s silly to think we were competitive at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    With some creative game planning and solid coaching we could have used MR and DH well enough to make the playoffs. Not that we would have gone too far but one more game is one more game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We are a non-losing team that needs help from the Ravens & Browns to make the playoffs. That's where we're at, with &'without Ben. Look at the last two years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Balti seems to be improved. Cleveland as well. We could be in danger of losing 4 games in the division alone if we don’t make those division games count.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Then why do you keep responding? Just because another poster doesn't agree with your takes :facepalm:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You can prepare all you want, but if Duck is throwing ints a bad offense isn't going to overcome that.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Browns are just one example, pick any team who’s season is over before 4 games are played. Saying we aren’t a competitive team at all is a gross exaggeration. Are you really going to tell me they wouldn’t have been competing for a SB if Ben wasn’t lost for the season?

Everyone’s goal is to win the SB but this team gives you a reason to watch every week. Guess we have different definitions of competitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Fackrell was one name of a player who is clearly a significant drop-off from Dupree, one who has never started more than seven games in an NFL season despite being relatively healthy in his career. That isn't why I responded to this post.

Let's look at some of the other names. You have 12.7 next to Van Noy's name, but that is not a complete picture. He got a four-year, $51 million contract from the Dolphins, with $30 million guaranteed. That negates one of the advantages of tagging Dupree, that the Steelers are only committed for one season. The tag allows them more flexibility than they would have had with a deal like the one given to Van Noy. I should also point out that Van Noy is a good player, but his career high in sacks is the 6.5 he registered last season. Perhaps that would have gone up in Pittsburgh with Watt on the other side, but it's not like he lacked opportunity in New England. He had arguably the best secondary in the NFL last season giving him time to get to the quarterback.

Beasley is a better comparison after taking a one-year deal, but he is not a full-time player. He was only in on 73 percent of the defensive snaps for the Falcons last season and he is a projection from a 4-3 end to outside linebacker. Also, his one big year was 2016, so it is tough to expect a rebound to that level.

The other issue that tends to be forgotten is that tagging Dupree is a sure thing in terms of getting the player. There is no competition. There is no issue of the guy wanting to play somewhere else. Dupree can't just choose to take the money elsewhere. Going into free agency means having to compete over these guys, which is a risk and it limits the Steelers' ability to spend elsewhere until they get it taken care of.

I do see that you have moved on from linking Finney to Dupree, which was a dubious point at best, because the Steelers have sealed that hole with Wisniewski. With Dupree handled, the Steelers have been able to take a more aggressive approach to free agency, adding Watt, Wisniewski and Ebron while trading for Wormley. I would rather see more help at safety or on the nose than tight end, but the Steelers were able to keep most of the guys they wanted to keep and bring in upgrades at fullback and tight end, two positions that were big problems in 2019.

"Thanks Bud" indeed, for playing well enough to open a path to what has actually been a pretty good offseason for the Steelers so far. Of course, it all comes down to Roethlisberger's health, but the Steelers know more about that than we do and that risk was going to be there no matter what.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Eagles were propped up by a terrible division. No team in the NFC East was even close to the Ravens. Hell, the Browns might have had a shot to win that mess.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is my biggest concern, especially the Ravens. They were damn good in 2019 and they got even better.

I think the Browns are improved because they finally started doing something about that offensive line. For all the talk about the moves they made last offseason, they left their biggest flaw largely untouched and it showed.

That said, the Steelers should be better as long as Roethlisberger can stay on the field. The additions of Watt and Ebron allow them a lot more versatility on offense. Too often in 2019, they telegraphed their play-calling with personnel. The lack of a fullback also really hurt the running game. The line certainly was a problem in 2019, but moving on from Foster should help and Wisniewski offers some insurance if Okorafor isn't ready to be a starter. Part of the trouble up front was defenses knowing the opposing quarterback wasn't much of a threat. That should change with Roethlisberger out there.