1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free agency 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Looks like Gurley is done as an elite running back. He might be ok as a rotational guy but he is nowhere near the force he was or the Rams would have kept him. Their offence really fell apart once he slowed down with that injury.

No wonder teams are so slow to pay running backs, Gurley, Johnson, Bell, is there any team happy they signed a running back to a monster deal in recent years? I’ll bet the cowboys would take back that deal they did with Zeke too if they could. He wasn’t a big difference maker last season

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

This all leads to SaQuon Barkely. For the Running Backs out there, SaQuon better have a historic season this season and next. If not, the value of the Running Back position will fall back to what it once was prior to the Todd Gurley deal.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    A'Shawn is a guy I was kinda hopeful to grab.....along with Shelton. Both gone bye bye bye

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe Shelton got 4/8 and I heard Robinson got a bigger deal than expected. If we’re looking for one of the best run stoppers snacks Harrison is the guy

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I think the damage is already done. Derrick Henry was a monster this year and all he got was a tag. When teams refuse to pay guys going forward the value of the tag will diminish for the players over time, adding insult to injury.

One thing going for SaQuan is that he could be a huge factor in the passing game out of the backfield (or even out wide) in the right scheme, that’s invaluable in today’s NFL. The Giants would be wise to manage his workload as a runner and ensure he is not broken by the end of his rookie deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Mike Pennell NT Chiefs is the guy I want BAD lol...6'4" 330 lbs. and dominated in the playoffs last year...I remember saying to myself last year...Who the Hell is this guy, never heard of him, would love him on the Steelers...But did not know he was going to be a FA

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    RBBC is the ONLY way to go. We have some pieces there and another would be great; esp if one falls a bit to us in Rd. 2.

It'll be hard for Gurley to play with that giant fork sticking out of his back.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think he played with the Jets before that. Pretty immovable object. Nice player. Damon Harrison is another one. 32 yrs old so maybe a cheaper stopgap..,,

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree RBBC for sure especially with the pieces we have at RB and a certain injury history with Conner. I’m thinking 4th round the earliest for a RB,most like the first pick in the 4th. I think we can find a capable RBBC type there. If the wheels fall off Conner next season I would then address RB high in 2021. We have a pretty decent stable when all are healthy. Good enough to win with...imo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Melvin Gordon was supposed to be the next great thing at RB. Now he is unemployed and sitting waiting for a phone call that hasn't come yet.

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Gordon had a disastrous holdout last year where he ended up looking really foolish but he will get a job. Tampa Bay are going all in as we all know, they have the receivers but they need a bell-cow back. Would not be surprised if he landed there on a one or two year deal.

Bills would be another nice landing spot, there is blood in the waters of the AFC East and now is the time to break the Pats stranglehold on the division

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah these guys are going fast, Harrison would be a nice pick up and so would be Ridgeway and Reed.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We’ll probably end up with LT Walton though

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah to back up Big Dan :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm still on the jk Dobbins train at pick 49 now. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I would absolutely love to see Dobbins in a Steeler uniform but I just think there are so many other more important holes to fill with that pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They were debating the devaluing of RB's last night on ESPN and seeing the list of big name vets that are still with out a team I got to say D A M N. All that talk about t resetting the market was wasted as teams are going to find value and answers to their rushing problems in late rounds or undrafted guys.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah, if you think about it, "the best running back in the league" title bounces around between a host of different teams that don't really compete for much, or for long.

If you look at the top three running backs in the league for the last 5 years, there aren't even more than a handful of playoff appearances combined.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That would not hurt my feeling Mac. If not what do you think of a couple rounds later AJ Dillon? I like him and Dobbins and that leaves us options right?

20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Gurley went to falcons

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that would help every aspect of the offense. He can run, block, catch. Immediate impact to the offense. Give Ben tools that can be on the field. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Oh, there is no question he would be a huge help! I just wonder how much it would matter if the O line can't block or protect? And given the trend of running backs being less and less important, we may be better off getting numerous other offensive holes filled ASAP.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Dobbins is as solid as they come. If he is there it's an instant upgrade on offense for Ben and the receivers as well. He just makes defenses have to account for him and that's when our receivers as they are can make teams pay. Ben is savvy enough to use this to his advantage. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sure we have numerous other offensive holes. He would actually help the receivers. He is very good in pass protection as well. That's the thing about dobbins, he's good in all phases of the game. If you look at my mock in the draft section, we could very easily get these guys at our picks as it sits now. Fills our holes and upgrades. :cool:

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think we have a lot of offensive holes, virtually every O line position was shaky last year, but one thing is for sure, Dobbins ability to block cloud help if the O line struggles and that could be huge for Ben.