1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free agency 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah let that sink in but many just want to look at here and now not down the road.........not looking down the road is why we are having this problem in the first place right?

2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Don't hold your breathe on that.....lol

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The key is to try and find balance between present and future. Seemingly they went all in on the present. They are riding with Ben and the veterans until they die. Ben is here 2 years no matter his performance as long as he’s physically capable of playing. What this philosophy has done has pushed any of our potential future QBs on the roster basically off the roster. What I mean is any chance that we would actually see them having a chance of developing is now gone. I know many feel it’s no big loss and they may be right but now it looks like after these next 2 years we will be starting from scratch. Which is fine with me. I could handle a rebuild as long as the the guilty parties involved in this pay the consequences if it blows up in our faces.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am so on and off about this. Early on as you know I was all about the restructure as I said Ben will be here no matter what because he would cost us 12 mil of dead money if we cut him. Now as I am looking at it and see so many other options I am not on that same thought. I look at it now as we could have went a different direction and if we needed to cut Ben or Ben was to retire say for health reasons we still would be some what ok. We are not now with a 41 mil cap hit, we are so depended on Ben not just this year but next. No matter what people think of Ben the one thing for sure is Ben is no spring chicken and Ben is coming off a pretty big injury. If Ben can't bounce back not this year but next we are in some kind of trouble.

Now you bring up another great point, no matter what we are in trouble at back up QB. So with Ben being here we either have to re sign MR most likely for more money that's how it usually works. Or we have to start all over again, which might not be a bad thing as drafting a guy this year or next will buy us a few more years on the cheap. The one thing I disagree with is a total rebuild. I don't see it, I have said in the past we have good young WR's and a couple young RB's. Our D is either young or signed for a few more years(except TJ) so I think with the results we are seeing from them we are really not in a rebuild mode. What we need is a decent back up to develop and maybe that comes in this draft or next. jmo

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think the moment they signed that extension with Ben the die was cast, they had to go all in and try to win another one while he was still at a high level. The wheels came off that plan with the injury that nobody could have seen coming.

I am not overly hopeful that Ben will come back and play at a pro bowl level, but they have decided to double down on the original plan with the max restructure. His cap hit for next year is mind boggling if he is still on the roster. I don’t see it ending well tbh, but I hope I am wrong

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah you already know I was never onboard with robbing Peter to pay Paul but that’s exactly what we did. What I meant by a full rebuild is findings a QB to build around and a new staff in place. I agree there is talent in the cupboard but a lot of our guys most likely won’t be here or playing at a high level in the next 2-3 years. Cam,Tuitt,Haden Nelson? Our drafts in the next 2-3 years are critical in finding replacements for guys like that. Pounce,AV
    , DeCastro? Gone or up there in age. Drafting will be huge factor in whether we can stay competitive or not. Maybe some of the guys that know so much around here should stop by the draft room and give some of their input? Or wait until after the draft.....it’s easier that way....lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    True. Well I guess if we were in KC or MT shoes we might do the same thing. There’s really nothing for them to lose. KC is already year to year and MT probably realizes it’s Ben or bust anyway, so he can ride off in the sunset with him...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Eagles get CB Darius Slay from Detroit, a good pickup their CBs were terrible last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Super Bowl or bust this season :herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    That cap increase better be huge... :facepalm:

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    New TV deal,17games. They are predicting 30-40 mil but we still have a lot of money due and some new contracts that need to be handed out next year.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they get rid of Pouncey after the 2020 season, it will depend on his play this season.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think this pretty much guarantees that 2020 is Pouncey’s last season as a Steeler, and his 2021 cap hit will be 6.5 million in dead money.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I will buy into that and yeah the next few drafts are going to be big. Good thing we are gonna get extra picks for the guys we lose this year.......fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is a major move Slay is awesome and like you side Eagles were terrible last season back there. Digger now Slay they are gonna give Brady and the Bucs a run....lol

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And I hope the hell it is SB!!!!!!!! This place will go nuts if it is bust..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah at the rate we are going it will need to be 300 mil.....................

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well since we let Finney go(thanks Bud) we need to drat a guy, this class is loaded there too so that's a plus.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes the most sense, but they really do need a huge bump in the cap for 2021.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was wrong, sorry folks, they won't draft 2 since they signed another FA CB in Mackensie Alexander. Now they'll only draft 1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, now that Todd Gurley is available...

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    difference b/t Pitts and Rams. Convenient for Rams to cut Gurley due to money. Steelers bend over backwards to get under the cap.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Rams signed Floyd for 10 and A’Shawn Robinson,not sure how much

25. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Wish we had away to sign Gurley. And if he wanted to play here. Despite his injury he must be okay to play. 26 years old. Our running game is abysmal.