1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Position Needs Ranked

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Da Stellars, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Here is what my top needs are going into the draft.
    1. S/ILB -- We hardly run our base defense anymore, we need a hybrid guy who can roam the field in pass coverage and who also can hit. If our starting safeties get hurt we are toast.
    2. TE -- No long term guy at this position, maybe even need to double dip?
    3. RB -- Conner can't stay healthy
    4. OLB -- Regardless if Dupree walks need more competition among the backups
    5. P -- We can do better than Berry and for a cheaper price. We need a game changer at the position.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Let's just say they tag Bud...

1. Interior O-line
    2. TE
    3. DT
    4. S
    5. WR

If Vannett is re-signed, which I think he will be, then I would take TE out and put OT at 5. Move DT, S and WR up one spot.

I think McDonald is here as well, same group as last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think DT or FS can be swapped as well according to value

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You want MT drafting CBs....lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Not really but we are probably losing two. One pretty important. :cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Given our track record with evaluating college corners, I’d rather trade a mid round pick for a proven backup caliber corner (if we can afford his contract).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers only have 6 picks, and some fans want to double dip at TE :facepalm:. They will keep Vannett or Vance, and they drafted Gentry last year, there too many other holes to fill.

9. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    You can make the case both Vannette and Vance aren't long term options, because frankly they aren't worth the money.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The only way I would double dip on a TE is if someone of value falls in our lap in the 3rd or 4th round and we draft a TE-H-back-FB type late because Nix can’t be counted on....

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Exactly what " some fan said". Ellefson could be had in the 7th round. He eliminates the need for a FB and gives you the 3rd TE. Even if he is no more then a ps player this year he would be available if nix or whomever your TE is injured. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Last season is the only time I remember Nix missing a lot of games. They should find a UDFA FB and put him on the practice squad.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They should keep at least one of those guys for the 2020 season, and draft one, you're right neither one is a long term option.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Bud is not franchised.
    OLB
    OL
    RB
    OL
    DL

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You’re right except in 2016 he only played 10 games as well. Even when healthy his usage is minimal because he lacks versatility. So like @mac daddyo and myself have been saying, taking a flyer late on a more versatile H-back/FB/TE would be a wise investment. PS is a good place to stash and develop.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    How do the needs stack up now that we tagged Dupree? Thoughts?

17. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    and with Foster retiring...

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Need to re sign Finney or they’re gonna move Feiler to LG who also needs to be signed and that would leave a opening at RT. Not sure how much confidence I have in Banner or Chuks starting there. Lots of questions on the OL and we definitely need to draft a G or T.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm curious what you saw in Vannett that makes you believe he secures the TE position? He had 128 yds recieving and 0 TD's in 13 games last year. In his first 3.2 years(42 games) playing with Russell Wilson, who is great, he caught 48 passes. I think he's a good 3rd/average 2nd TE at best. Maybe I missed something though. Intangibles-wise.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Vance McDonald just re-structured so he'll still be here and I think they re-sign Vannett and you also have Gentry. Same 3 TEs possibly. I think Vannett will improve and they gave up a draft pick to get him. He's a number 2 TE like you said, he's not going to put up huge numbers. If those 3 are back, then TE imo drops down the priority list.

Can Vannett be replaced by a better #2, of course but I don't think the money is there. I think Vannett is average at both blocking and receiving but he is serviceable for how much this offense has been using the TEs as of late. I still want them to draft a blocking TE if they can. But I don't think its a top 5 priority.

21. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I know this thread is about everyone's opinions but I think this is the definitive correct order. Even OL being mentioned twice lol.

Now that Bud is tagged its easily first and foremost start reinvesting in the O-line so Ben can have a ground-game to work with. We have no 1st, and teams are now less and less likely to draft RBs much in the 1st. Dolphins closing in on Jordan Howard and Texans picking up David Johnson means it's now very likely Steelers could land Dobbins, Taylor, or Swift at 49. Top tier O-linemen probably long gone.

OL, RB, DT the big 3 to me. TE in this class is hot garbage so they either pick Moss because Steelers are more into bloodlines than Game of Thrones or they completely punt the position in this draft, for a punter.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I'm starting to lean towards Jonah Jackson in the 3rd or 4th, hopefully 4th. The Rutgers and Ohio State product is fairly solid. He also had 5 starts at center. That part is crucial. Would be a very solid pick.:cool:

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ok, so we are starting to get a better picture of our needs after some of these moves the past few days.

Positions affected -

OLB - Bud tagged, Chick released. Depth is certainly on the agenda as evidenced by their few pre draft visits and combine meetings

OL - Finney gone, Feiler tendered, Banner signed. IOL still a priority for G/C depth most certainly. OT up in the air depending on Feiler, so still a possible concern for depth if Feiler goes to G.

S - S. Davis gone (as depth). No change here imo depth was needed anyway. For both SS and FS.

ILB - Barron released, Dirty Red off to Buffalo. UG3 coming back from injury but still a concern. Really, this position is an underrated concern tbh. They have Bush and VW98, UG3 is still an unknown, so I would expect some movement here in draft or FA.

TE - Vance stays, no word on Vannett. They will definitely add to the position grouping somehow.

DL - Hargrave off to deposit his checks. Expect a draft pick.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Now that Free Agency has started, time to give my own rankings based on need.

1.) Offensive Tackle.

As asinine as this sounds, either Feiler or Chuks are being moved inside; a massive chasm in the tackle depth as a result. This is a very deep, very talented class. That said, get the best available one on the board. Hopefully Lucas Niang is available as he will likely be the most plug n play option available by pick 49.

2.) Safety.

Minkah is not going anywhere. That much is a given. I am not 100% sold on Terrell after giving him the benefit of the doubt in his rookie season. That said, finding not just depth for today but possibly Minkah's partner in crime for tomorrow is key. Again, this is round dependent but if someone like Antonie Winfield in Round 2 or Jeremy Chinn (nephew of Steve Atwater) in Round 3 is still around, bite the bullet via BPA. Both are exceptional candidates to be red shirted and be the incumbents to supplant Edmunds when he leaves. As I said, Pittsburgh is not keeping two first round players from the same class; doubly so if Mason shows immense improvement in 2020 to state his case on being "the one".

3.) EDGE.

Bud Dupree is tagged! This also means he is likely on a one year rental as I doubt the team will be doing any more restructures. That said, draft a pass rusher with the intention of using him in situational roles. Zach Baun is my personal dream choice but Josh Uche has grown on me a bit. Needs to sharpen up those instincts a bit more but that is where the situational usage will come into play. Let him develop at a steady pace.

4.) Wide Receiver.

Juju is likely on his way out of here. Donate looks to take the mantle and James Washington showed some improvement in year two. That said, Pittsburgh still lacks that "Thermonuclear Option". Until Pittsburgh gets that, they cannot challenge the likes of Kansas City. Chase Claypool is a unique choice as he is not just a WR but could also be used as a Receiving TE. If not him, head back to the original plan of Jalen Raegor. His 40 time stinks but he plays far faster than his timed speed.

5.) Interior Defensive Lineman.

I have conceded the fact that neither Neville Gallimore or Ross Blacklock will be there at pick 49; hence why this position is last. That said, the IDL position is always deep and talented every year so finding one should not be an issue. Rashard Lawrence or Davon Hamiltion are my first two options. Benito Jones is another. Wild card is Raekwon Davis although I doubt he will be available in Round 3.

All are subject to change pending the ending period of Free Agency.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    It's hard to say if Guard or Tackle is more important...it all depends if Feiler kicks in or not?

I can see arguments for Feiler sticking at Tackle since he is so tall ... they might worry about him getting leverage or Ben actually throwing/seeing around him...

• Agree Agree x 1