1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any of these worth kicking the tires on?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lewisha, Mar 18, 2020.

1. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    With our less than stellar back-up QB situation, and #7s injury, do you think the Steelers make a run at Flacco, Dalton or Cam Newton? If so, is Hodges the odd man out?

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    don't see the money playing out for Newton, let alone him accepting a back up role... Dalton would prob be affordable, but I think Flaccid would look elsewhere.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Can we trade Paxton Lynch to New England for a 7th? and then bring someone else in to challenge for the #3?

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If Winston is left without a team and is willing to sign a low value deal to be the backup I would not be opposed to taking him. There is a chance a Ben gets hurt and he gets on the field. Only if the price is right though.

I don’t think the Steelers can afford any of the others unless their existing teams eat a significant portion of their salary

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Cam, Winston and possibly Stafford have Denver, San Diego and NE available. After that guys like Dalton, Brissett, and others are out of luck.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The going rate for a quality BU QB is 5-6 million. Steelers don’t have the wiggle room for it.

It’s either the draft or just pray Ben stays healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Yes, Winston's 7 turnovers a game will make Sundays exciting!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d prefer it to watching Duck Hodges every day of the week!

Yeah Winston is a turnover machine, massive talent but doesn’t have it between the ears. If anybody can ever ‘fix’ him in that regard he could be really good because everything else is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Can you imagine the fans actually screaming for the return of MR or Duck? I know he only had him for one year, but Arians worked magic with very notable QB's, if he gave up on Winston that speaks volumes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah I wanted Case Keenum as a backup for around 5 million, he went to the Browns, the Steelers are committed to Rudolph though.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Is there any chance that we could trade Lynch and Hodges for someone else' back up QB project? You know....the old "change of venue" philosophy?

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You really think Randy is capable of doing that? Lol.

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think he is! If 95% of Winstons throws are behind the LOS, his interceptions would go way down! Fuchtner is a genius!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I read somewhere that Winston had eye surgery and Mike Evans was saying he was like night and day with his throws ( right on the money )...I just don't understand a guys livelihood, which is to see, would have waited so long to correct...

Back on topic I would love to have Winston for the reasons stated above...He really is a special talent...Dalton would be a nice insurance policy/ stopgap...But I do agree like many on here that it's Ben or done, Just don't have the coin...

If Ben goes down, The Steelers go down imo...Even though s small sample size, I don't believe Mason has it.............Then life after Ben begins, which I believe will be ugly for awhile

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wonder how much of Evans comments were to generate trade discussion?

I also believe that if Ben goes down we are done.......unless.....Ben goes down for 3-5 games.....in which case we need a back up who can keep us afloat.

16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I remember when Winston played at Florida State, his poor eyesight was talked about a lot. He would have to run over to the sideline and squint the best he could at the coach sending in the plays. You make a good point why is he just now getting this problem taken care of?

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I mean...If it was that bad, which points to it being true...The Dude has a absolute cannon of a arm, and now that he can actually see lmao.....

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rudolph went 5-3 with very little help and if the defense is the shoe in everyone is predicting why can’t he improve on that and win 3 of the 5?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe he can, it remains to be seen. My fear when it comes to MR is his technique, his fundamentals, rather than such a small sampling of his win-loss record. I just don't have any confidence in him.......I hope I end up being wrong:smiley1:

20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Randy is no longer the QB coach, they appointed Matt Canada to that role recently and he would be the one working closest with the QB’s.

Not sure anybody can fix him, the underlying talent is there but he makes bad decisions on the field and he is absolutely reckless with the ball.
    Not sure how much of a factor the eyesight is but yeah, definitely strange that he only had the surgery now after five seasons in the pros.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why would anybody trade for Lynch or Hodges? I'm not sure packaging them adds any value, either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There is always someone out there who thinks they have the "whisperer".

23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Broncos just released Joe Flacco due to failing his physical. It looks like his career is over now unless someone takes a chance on him passing a physical.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Definitely would have liked that.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wonder exactly what part of the physical he failed? Do they test for separate eyebrows?

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1