1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Here we go...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Timbrr, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    More from the NFL network. Quarterback discussion, talking about who needs a home. Jamis Winston might work out well for the Steelers. Damn, I get some great laughs from these guys. I can see it now, some guy calling all his friends "we are getting Winston. I just heard it" Good stuff, have a great evening.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Is the NFL Network going to pay his salary?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Better question.

Is the NFL Network going to pay for Tomlin to have a year's supply of Tylenol?! :lolol:

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There is a chance that Winston is left without a team, there are actually more QB’s than jobs now. He is clearly very talented but his erratic play has held the buccaneers back for years. I don’t know why people think he will command a big salary, he may have to settle for a backup job somewhere and a prove it deal. I’m looking around the league and I really don’t see where his face fits as a starter.

If the Steelers had a bit more leeway I would not hate it as he is better than Mason if they could reign in his crazy interceptions but they are just too strapped and have already said they are all in with the guys they have.

I can see why talking heads are putting him on the Steelers, he is a bit of a gunslinger like Ben. Their job is to generate viewers and clicks and they are probably not that up to speed on the Steelers cap problems and other team needs when they put this stuff out there. They have a lot of air time to fill I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Being from Iowa I've seen up close and personal what Taylor can do. Yes he would be a difference maker.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Winston will command more than the Steelers can afford though, he will probably have to settle for a 1 year prove it deal somewhere.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ok, Now start on the Todd Gurley rumors

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Not necessarily. If the right candidate is there as a free agent they could use creative means to get them in under the cap now that the CBA is signed. Cam, Dalton and others have too much money left on their existing deals to be even considered unless they are cut. You could only consider a free agent who is left without a team.

Example, you want to give Winston $12m over two years which is roughly what Mariota just got per year, give him a $6m signing bonus for this year and put all the base salary in to 2021 giving him a cap hit of $3m this year and $9m next. If he stinks you cut bait at the end of the season, you’d probably have to give the player an option as well after year one in case they do a Tannehill. Thats a very fair deal for somebody that’s in the wind. I’m not saying it’s likely, just that it’s possible if the right guy is there and they really wanted to do it.

They did something similar with Nelson last year. 2019 was a prove it year for him and he proved it. They restructured him recently and I expect he will get a full extension next year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Just face it the QB situation is set. To even think about bringing Winston here is a joke even if they had the cap space. Major pick machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have a little over 6 million in cap space right now, they aren't going to spend that on a turnover prone QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I’m not saying it’s likely or even advocating for Winston. We all know his failings. I was just making the point that it is possible to bring him or another guy in if they really wanted to do it, and at a very low cap number for 2020. The $6m per year is almost meaningless, it’s all about how you structure the deal.

If Ben gets hurt again in pre season or his recovery is slower than anticipated I would not be surprised if they start looking around. If he is on track, I think they stick with what they have and hope he can give them a full season.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I can't help but wonder if some proper coaching and leadership could limit his turnovers. The Steelers is about the worst place for him to go for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Better question.

Who is going to pay for years of Tylenol for my Tomlin-induced headaches? :drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2