1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free agency 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    AB going to Tampa makes no sense with Evans, Godwin and Howard there, not enough targets to go around. He is also likely to be suspended if any team attempts to pick him up.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not if Goodell doesn't reinstate AB, then Brady won't get what he wants :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn’t you say Brady would have to talk Arians into it? :shrug:. Did I mention anything about reinstatement? :shrug:

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sean Davis gone back home

5. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I wish him well, but he had some of the worst instincts I've ever seen in a safety. I'll never forget the Chargers game when he blew up Joe Haden on an easy interception and caused the ball to pop up for an easy Chargers touchdown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:applaud:

:beg:

Pittsburgh was on hand for his West Virgina Pro Day back in 2016. Tomlin seems to like to gravitate towards players whom he has met with via their Pro Days when acquiring them via other means. Minkah is the latest example.

Hoping Karl Joseph gets his shot here. Would like the depth and saves the team a draft slot in terms of finding safety depth.

• Like Like x 2
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Karl Joseph you say.....insert one of your "dog ear perk" memes here....:lolol: I was a big fan that draft, that would be a huge boost to the secondary.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Joseph would be a very nice get. I'd feel good about our starting D, with depth coming in the later rounds. Early draft could be BPA at OL, TE, RB.

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

There are 2 good things here I was just wondering where we were at in cap space. Also Karl Joseph would be a very good addition, I know there were many high on him here when he was drafted. love get it done......

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It seems like there are quite a few teams in on Joseph, which doesn't bode well for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Unfortunately, true. Maybe MT can sell it....:clapping:

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Me and you both!!!

Would love to get him!! Question is though is does he want to start?! If that is the case, have him and Terrell battle it out. Winner wins the Strong Safety spot.

Put up or shut up time for Terrell Edmunds.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    After the 4 year apprenticeship they gave Dupree, I doubt Joseph is in the works, as that means they have given up on Edmunds development. The fans would applaud, but the FO just doesn't do stuff like that. We will get a safety in the draft i bet. They keep holding on to Marcus Allen for crying out loud. TE34 will be the starter for 4 years and then he'll kill it to get the 5 year option.

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No. He needs to keep playing Do you really want him in the booth again?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Terrell is exactly the 1st round extreme reach some said he was. He is not in the starter conversation if Joseph wants to come here.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

There in lies the issue. How is the team going to afford both Edmunds and Minkah?! One of them has to go UNLESS the following criteria fall into place;

1.) Mason busts out completely in 2020; forcing the team to look for another QB in the 2021 Draft.

2.) T.J. Watt receiving his record setting deal in 2021.

3.) 2022 comes around and Ben retires from the game; freeing up immense cap relief. Keep in mind the aforementioned Rookie QB is the likely starter as he is still on contract.

4.) Minkah likely receiving a record breaking extension in 2022 as opposed to the fifth year option.

5.) Terrell receiving the fifth year option in 2022

6.) 2023 in which Terrell balls out to receive the tag.

7.) 2024 he is signed long term.

Again my man, this is IMMENSE speculation on my part. However, the biggest form of criteria stems from, ironically, Mason Rudolph. However well Mason can develop in 2020 will determine Terrells fate. Keep in mind though that the team is already showing interest in Karl Joseph; a younger but more well rounded safety.

Given the circumstances, I would imagine that the aforementioned criteria above will likely be rendered nugatory should Karl come to the Steel City. Even if Karl declined, Pittsburgh will have made it whom they envision to stay here for the foreseeable future. For that matter, this hints where Pittsburgh can potentially go with their 3rd comp or even their 2nd pick if all else fails at pick 49.

1st Team All Pro is nothing to scoff at; in ones Sophomore Campaign doubly so and no less. Minkah has done far more in a far less degree of time. Terrell is good but not great; doubly so assuming when Jamal Adams big payday will reset the Safety Market.

One final note, some say that trading for Minkah was due to the fact that Sean Davis was sent to IR. However, I have a different verdict. For that matter, others have reached the same conclusion.

The acquisition of Minkah Fitzpatrick was not just the beginning of the end for Terrell Edmumds but also admitting to the public that Terrell Edmunds has not panned out like the team thought he would. By trading for Minkah, the team won back not just the players but also the fans as the defense was not creating turnovers but by getting someone who has a penchant for doing such, it exonerates the Front Office by having a player who can not only bolster the defense for the present but also provide the team a building block for the secondary.

In short?! Minkah Fitzpatrick SAVED both Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert from having one of the worst seasons in Steelers History to having a season that, while coming up short, brings forth a brighter tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Karl Joseph just signed with the Browns.....

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There goes that idea. Maybe they should have spent that bit of cap space to keep Finney. :)

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why is berry and his 1.8 still here?:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Nice and there we go kicking that can down the road.....Ben 41 mil cap hit and MP now 14.4. I hope the cap goes up to 300 mil cause at this rate we are going to need it next year!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And Big Dan 1.5????????? Oh wait maybe we can restructure another and free up space that way and not worry about next year.........................

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

55.4 mil. for these two. That's over a 1/4 of this year's cap for two old players. Wow!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    waiting for that dupree like year from big dan. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1