1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Cook: Steelers worse now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bit too doom and gloom for me. IMO, Steelers had a very good team last year that was held back by the offense. Loss that hurts the most is Hargrave but as long as Tuitt stays healthy, that loss should be mitigated.

They pretty much have the same team and with a healthy Ben and that defense, I like their chances. DJ should take a big step forward in year two and I expect JuJu to rebound with Ben back under center. Vance will be a weapon again. And of course with Ben back, Switzer puts them over the top.

The oline is the biggest area of concern for me. If they can’t establish a running attack or protect Ben, forget everything else I wrote.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...north-ravens-browns-2020/stories/202003180033

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    So we've lost a few guys and only added a FB... and genius boy Ron Cook decides that's not better? Duh. Can we at least complete the roster building periods before deciding what the team looks like?

• Like Like x 1
  3. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Artie Burns is gone.

The team is better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets see how the roster building plays out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Offensive line needs a major overhaul. Luckily, this Offensive Lineman class overall is great. Definitely some hidden gems in the later rounds. That said, between Matt Feiler and Chukwuma Okorafor (according to Ed Bouchette) being moved to the Guard spot, Offensive Tackle is a must either way. Again, for me, Lucas Niang is the incumbent.

If not that, BPA then.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This seems like a "something to talk about" article. This is what every off-season looks like in the NFL, and every year the Steelers always seem to be someone's loser of said off-season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Blast, that's a lot of players that the stars have to align. Assuming Big Ben to come back strong, DJ to have a big step forward is the most likely to happen. JuJu to rebound, Vance to rebound, Switzer to rebound, and Chuck at tackle never did anything for me, Tuit to stay healthy, Hargrave and Finney not here will hurt us. Just a lot of if's and lot of stars have to align. Understand what your saying about doom and gloom, but at this point in time it's more doom and gloom than not.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The ifs that matter are the offensive line and Roethlisberger. The line is weaker without Foster/Finney at guard, but neither of them was particularly good this past season. Roethlisberger is the larger issue. If he can stay healthy, he may be in decline, but he's still a massive upgrade from what the team had at quarterback in 2019.

Also, why does Switzer need to rebound? Except for the assumption that Roethlisberger wants him around, there really isn't even much reason to think he will be on the team in 2019. Johnson will likely continue as the punt returner and it would be hard to find a kickoff returner more useless than Switzer.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL Switzer part was a joke guys. Green font. Although I do expect he will play better with Ben but thats not saying much.

I don’t think there’s a lot of stars to align. Just Ben staying healthy and Tuitt.

10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lol Blast. You had me worried with the Switzer comment. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I missed the Switzer bit in your post. I only saw it in JAD's. That makes more sense now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey , the Switzer part we can agree on.....useless

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    During Tomlin's early years when the line was a problem they tried to draft skill players instead saying they could overcome the deficiency in one area by strengthening the skill players. It didn't work. This needs to be a very boring draft with some lineman drafted high on both sides of the ball. You all carried on about Nix being injured all the time (I didn't think so), but look at Tuitt..

O-line and D-line early for once, ILB and S depth, complement for the WRs. That's 5 out of our 6 draft picks hopefully.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with Ron Cook.

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    :facepalm:

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ron (Brady Lover) Cook.

Who knows. As said, lets wait. Ben getting somewhat back to form is the linchpin. I do feel that Diontae Johnson will be our #1. The O Line does worry me due to the coordinator. AV became a starting LT with Munchak. And he anchored a solid line. The jury is still out on Sabbrett. Some movement on the line this year. Also tight end. Can Glass MC D stay healthy?

The defense should be a force although concerns are ILB, SS and DL/NT.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm::facepalm:

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Spot on, as we have been saying all year it really comes down to Ben. Healthy, Ju Ju will rebound, Washington and DJ can have solid years, I think Cain may be a pleasant surprise as well. If Conner can stay healthy (big if), with a healthy lead FB the O should be able to hold their own.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Of course you do :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The roster isn't complete yet, let's wait and see how the rest of free agency and the draft play out before jumping to conclusions. JuJu is in his contract year, there's no way he can be as bad as he was last season, draft 2 OL a backup safety and a NT.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That is one concern on each level of the defense. :cool:

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's only March...

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hilarious! Somehow I didn't see the green font when I first read it. I was thoroughly enjoying everything you wrote and when I came to Switzer, it was like someone peed in my favorite cereal!

I don't feel strongly either way about Switzer but I sure like his sure-handedness! There is no worse feeling than a game changing play going the other way due to a fumble or muff.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lol, I still don't see the green font. Is there something wrong with my labtop?

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The longest March ever. Wonder what April will be like?

• Agree Agree x 1