1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier placed on reserve/retired list

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Haven’t heard anything about his progress anymore. Glad they are still doing this though, gives him access to all the benefits.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good to hear. He's probably useful to the other linebackers from a coaching aspect too. I read an article about him a couple weeks ago where Colbert said they'd stand by him for as long as Shazier wanted to be involved with the team. He still has aspirations of playing again, some day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I really do hope he can achieve his dream to play again someday. It would be nice. However, I am not too certain if he can given this news.

Either way, classy move by the team to stand by him for as long as they did. Wishing him all the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Damn. Ryan Shazier was a beast when he was playing. I hope the next stage in his life is great.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Ryan Shazier took his last snap against the Bengals offense. He will never be cleared to play again by any doctor who is familiar with his dangerous tackling technique. I do see him being involved with the Steelers organization for quite some time though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    As much as I would love to see him achieve his goal, I would cringe every time the ball was run his way. It would be heartbreaking to see him injured again.

Kudos to the organization for being there for him!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The Reserve/Retired List is used by teams as a procedural move to retain a player and that players’ rights. The player on this list does not count against the salary cap or the player cap. It means they are choosing to “retire” rather than finish out their contract. It is treated the same as if a player was cut for salary cap purposes.

Shazier is still staying with the team, however, according to the Steelers.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Art ll strikes again. :thumbs up:
    Just like his grandpa.

• Like Like x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace and All.

I realize that some of my posts here are long-winded at times. They are not done with the intent to subject anyone to “mental anguish” (smile and laugh). Contrary, the sole objective is to provide, what I consider, quality, diverse and intriguing dialogue.

Whether one chooses to read my Threads and Posts is obviously voluntarily. For those that do, I am always grateful for the time that you took to engage and for those that do not, I hold no animosity or grudges; even when the response is TLDR (smile and laugh). That is okay. I understand and respect that too. Although I must admit, I personally feel that some of you are missing out on some decent readings that for all intents and purposes really are not that long, IMO (smile). Often, some of them go beyond just Football; which isn't that in part what this platform that TTF and his crew have given us this Board for? Again, IMO (smile)

Nonetheless, after reading the Ryan Shazier Thread here, and its rebuttal posts, I felt compelled to write my own response WHICH IS BELOW THIS ONE. Yes, it is a little lengthy (“Hey, like this one isn’t STEELWINDS”, smile and laugh). About one page long in Microsoft Word. Given that, it goes well-beyond Football, and I personally feel that it is worth the several minutes that it will take to read. Nonetheless, that is each person’s prerogative here. Given all of that, I hope each of you take the time to read it and provide some always well-invited feedback as each of you may feel compelled to provide. Take care Everyone.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hi STEELWINDS (Hey that is me....smile) and All.

The Ryan Shazier situation is much bigger than the Steelers doing the “Right Thing”. Below is an original saying that I composed which I feel is appropriate to share with All of You, Ryan, The Steelers and Whoever else may follow us here on the Board.

“When you keep a man’s passion alive you have saved his soul”.

I would guess that at one point, or another, in all of our lives, we have had something endearing taken from us. For Ryan, his ability to play Professional Football again may be over. However, one thing that I have come to learn in life is that the Human Spirit is resilient. Never underestimate one’s desire to prove the naysayers wrong.

I am pretty sure that outside of Pittsburgh there are many other people, decent people, who are pulling for Ryan to return to the playing field. This, whether a fan of football or not, this, whether a Steelers fan or not, it doesn’t matter. I have personally been a part of, and witnessed, many dire situations over my lifetime. Ones in which hopelessness seems to reign supreme. And then out of nowhere, against all odds, the unthinkable happens. Not always….but sometimes. Are these miracles? That is not for me to say. However, they sure make one think… Just Wow!

The Steelers did not have to do what they have been doing for Ryan. However, they do, not surprisingly, because they operate with a high degree of expected decency and superior integrity. The Rooneys recognize that Football is one of Ryan’s Passions, probably a salvation in some way to his existence. Just as we all have our own personal deliverances that provide us with a sense of purpose. Football is probably not Ryan’s sole reason for existence but nonetheless at the forefront of his life. And although he may never play football again, the Pittsburgh Steelers have continued to breathe life into this young man’s body and soul by letting him remain in the circle of the Steelers’ Family. Just as TTF, and his crew, continue to do their honorable part by letting us reach out to Ryan here on The Board.

The Rooneys have allowed Ryan the opportunity to continue on in this World with a sum of fortitude, personal respect and above all else, a high degree of self-worth. From a humanitarian standpoint, the Rooneys’ actions for that which they are doing for Ryan are immeasurable when comparing them to the financial costs of their unselfish actions.

In such a short time, Ryan has given all of us a brilliant, and awe-striking, collage of extraordinary memories and momentous plays on the football field. Unfortunately, leaving some of us, probably like him, a sense of being "short-changed". The “What ifs” and “What could of beens” probably enter all of our minds from time to time when we think of Ryan. Just like in all probability, they cross the threshold of his thoughts when left alone in self-reflection. However, let us not become entrapped within the “Realm of what might have been” but rather treasure, and value, the “World of Realities” that he gave us all. Hopefully, and more importantly, he too can find the joy and significance to that which he personally brought to millions of fans across the World including the “Ever-Prevailing Entity of Steelers Nation”. Yeah! Yeah! Steeler Nation.

Personally, as I reminiscence, my favorite Ryan memory was the fumble he created in the Steelers-Bengals playoff game a few years ago late in the 4th Quarter; when most of us probably thought that all hope of victory had vanished. His brilliant play led to the typical, and inevitable, Bengals’ implosion which started our march back to victory and eventually liberated us from the clutches of defeat and onto another Monumental Steeler Triumph. Again,….Just Wow!

Ryan's return to play should be kept within the confines of reality but simultaneously beyond those parameters as well. Otherwise, the concept of hope is for not. And maybe, once again, one of those unexplained phenomena will take center-stage and this time it will be Ryan's turn under the limelight of the astonishing. Hopefully so. Time will unveil what is in store for him. Time and hope. Two intangibles that are presently on his side. Take care all.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yes, it was very devastating what happened to Ryan. So much potential. Great moments he brought us in such a short time. It makes one yearn for so much more. Well, his health is priority #1. I have had my shares of injuries as an athlete. And although never on the elite level of Ryan, a foot injury basically ended my "competitive" running career.

I learned to compensate for that void. In part, becoming a Physical Education Teacher, Cross-Country Coach and a Track & Field Coach also were instrumental in helping me cope. It is hard when you are placed up on the shelf. Not knowing if it is permanent is really the biggest strain. Eventually, you come to grips with what the future holds in store for you. Preparing for it is the hardest part because one never wants to give up hope for a return to the pre-injury time. Eventually, one (not everyone now) accepts their destiny. Hey, even at my age, decades removed from competition, I have hopes of competing again at some level.

Right now, I walk about 5-7 miles every other day. I will start to jog later this Spring and who knows maybe start real running again. I go through the same sequence of events each year but the body lets me know how far I can push the running. However, one thing about me is my perseverance to "Return". My foot may never be the same again but my Spirit and Emotional Fortitude will always carry on.

Oh yeah, the Rooneys are definitely a Class Act. Take care.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hey STEELWINDS, I often enjoy reading your well scripted posts! Your posts are typically written in a manner that exudes calm. Which is probably why some don't read them, many people here read posts until they find a little gem they can disagree with and then create a tirade about that one little thing, while completely losing focus on the context of the post they are debating.

Keep up the fine literary work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hey STEELWINDS, would robbing liquor stores count as a "competitive" running career?

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Stone.

Funeeee!

Hey I do not know what era you grew up in but I was up late the other day and watched the movie "Superfly". In short, Superfly (Ron O'Neal: 1972) was a big time drug-dealer in NYC back in the 70's. In one scene, he got jumped by two junkies. He knocked one out and chased the other through a maze of burnt out buildings. Man he was "bolting". My point. I guess where I grew up I saw similar type athletic skills in what I would deem some of the neighborhood's least desirable characters. Nonetheless, some of them really were very athletically gifted.

We had an unwritten league in our city where Neighborhood would play against Neighborhood. Public Housing Project vs. Public Housing Project. This all for seasonal sports (Football, Basketball, Baseball, even Street Hockey). We would play for $5 per head. True Story: For the Street Hockey.One of the School's neighborhood P.E. teachers actually gave us some old equipment for that one. He figured it would temporarily keep us out of trouble. In most instances these games were played trouble-free. Unfortunately, when they ended, everyone went back to business as usual.

It was all in good fun as many of us had gone to elementary and middle school together and at least for these games, were able to put our differences (gang-affiliations, hood beefs, etc.) to the side. Man, I kid you not, some of these guys were amazingly athletically gifted. Unfortunately, some of those guys also lacked common sense and did not know how to channel their positive skills into the right directions. Although fast, none of them ever proved that they could outrun a bullet.

I posted the image below where I grew up. I lived in the Public Housing Projects in the background. In the forefront, is what I deem "Steelwinds Sports Complex East". We played those Hockey games there, Stick-Ball, even "Tackle" football I kid you not. We were not totally senseless. We did use knee and elbow pads as well as gloves. Helmets were optional (smile). Take care.

Side Note: For those not too sure. Right-Mouse click on the image below to see bigger and select "Open link in new window". Otherwise, it might take you out of the Website. I have not posted an image in a while and used to do it without the Right-Mouse click step. I just do not want people to have to log back in if they get "knocked-out" after they view the image and want to return to the site.

Steelwinds Sports Complex.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Stone.

That is sincerely and greatly appreciated. It truly means a lot to me. Thank you. Yes, I fully understand what you are saying. Like I have always stated here, everyone has their own style and preferences and I respect all. I will continue to do my thing as I feel compelled and expect everyone else to keep on with theirs.

Your Quote: "many people here read posts until they find a little gem they can disagree with and then create a tirade about that one little thing".

I have seen that movie time and time again here on "The Board". Actually, and I am not mocking anyone, I get a kick out of some of those "Tirades". They are comical and it usually ends up in a "Power-Struggle" as to who is going to get the last word in. It is usually the same cast of players whom I have interacted with at times. Some good chats some not so productive. Nonetheless, as I remind myself, and others here, the one common denominator that unites all of us is our love and passion for the B & G. Take care.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Glad you made it out bro!

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Respect has to go out to the Rooney's for taking care of Ryan but I feel any team would have done the same. Unfortunately as I believed when this happened that he would not play a snap again. He is fortunate to be walking. The designation Reserve/Retired says it all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Stone.

Yeah, I know it looks bleak and dismal. However, trust me, there were more good times than bad. Yes, I am one of the "Fortunate" ones to have "made it out". Became a Teacher of all things. Physical Education at that, which was always the students' "Favorite" and "Coolest" if I may add. Go figure (laugh). In a big part, I know this is going to sound like an old corny ABC Afterschool Special Story (if you remember those from back in the 70's) but Sports, the PE teachers (and some others), and Coaches were very influential towards helping me to straighten up, go to college and become an Educator.

For whatever reason I always loved running. Even when I was up to my mischief I use to run 3-4 miles several times a week. Given that, one thing led to another I eventually joined the Cross-Country and Track & Field teams in High School. Was actually fairly successful. Even made All-State for both sports. Running REALLY became my "Salvation" in many ways.

That was one thing though. I was always taught to value education. I was a pain in the rear at school but never, never disrespected my teachers. Unfortunately, in that kind of environment there are some that are always looking for a "Short-Cut". Even a shorter distance between two points than the proverbial "Straight Line" (smile). Man, some of the "Schemes" and "Hustles" that I witnessed. Comical and sad at the same time.

Take care.