1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Martavis Bryant

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Per the new CBA, you can no longer be suspended for smoking weed. The testing itself is severely limited from what it once was, just a two week stretch during training camp.

Colbert, get that boy a uniform. Team could definitely use a WR that stretches the field.

I know people will poopoo the idea but I think he will go back to being the player who was excelling prior to the testing and suspensions began without having to worry about that stuff and of course being able to smoke weed. (Actually he’s not allowed but no punishment).

He’s not terribly bright but aside from the smoking problem he only had one stretch where he was acting out but then showed real maturity and effort after Tomlin had a talk with him.

Would be worth a shot and could get him cheap.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Can we get the non dope smoking Martavis? Put down the medicinal (for now) and you'll put up some better numbers.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    downloadfile-1.jpg

This should already be done Blast. Tell him JuJu was ABs replacement not mines.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He would have to be reinstated first, he wasn't that good his last year in Pittsburgh.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Negative. He has more issues then just toking on the bong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He can go deep & catch the ball, we need him. Vet minimum & franchise him next year. Of course Big Ben will have to ok it.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Bryant showed a really sharp learning curve in his first two years here. His footwork was great and he made a number of plays out of nothing.

I'm not sure we'd get the same guy back, though. We seem to do better re-signing our old DBs than we do WRs. All the same, I'd kick the tyres on him and see what he's got.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I forgot about that but with the changes to the CBA, there would be no reason not to reinstate him. Can’t see the Steele’s making a move on him until he is though.

I get what you’re saying but were those issues brought on by not being able to toke the bong?

He was playing very well before he started having trouble with the league over that.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    How old is he?

11. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Pretty sure his decline in play was after they took his weed. Dude was super mario when they initially weren't drug testing him

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Lack of weed in his system "shouldn't" cause a downfall in his performance. Lack of grey matter can lead to all kinds of issues when someone isn't getting what they want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Absolutely bring him in for a workout if he is reinstated, do remember that he fell out with Tomlin towards the end though, wasn’t he complaining about not getting enough targets etc? I can’t remember the details but we don’t know if they’d want him back

Breshaud Perriman is also still available afaik if they are looking for a cheap deep threat project player

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'll pass. The guy was a complete basket case during his year with the Raiders. He was a pain in the ass his last year here too. His issues are more than just weed.

15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Born 1991 so 29

16. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016

Personally I've found that after the phase of orientating your threshold for THC that once that threshold is high, smoking certain sativa varieties can dramatically increase your energy, hand-eye coordination, and reaction time. Anecdotal evidence of that can be found in say the Hadzas in Africa smoking their landraces before long hunting trips.

Of course it is much more likely that being able to smoke without repercussion actually causes most athlete's work ethic to decline and I wouldnt argue against that. But an opposite end of the spectrum is very real. Some choice athletes can possibly have longer, more focused workouts with easier recoveries and its gonna show the difference between those who use it in a manner to impede their performance and those who use it to supplement better performance.

I really dont know which side Martavis is on, or Josh Gordon. But we do know that it was the punishment and breaking them out of their current routines that changed their on field play from great to mediocre. Momentum and building on prior successes towarda future success is pretty much everything for team sports and for the individuals.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I attribute Bryant’s drop off in play to the problems he was having associated with having to quit smoking. People keep mentioning he has other issues? What issues? The one where he complained about not getting the ball, was chewed out and benched for a game and then was a model citizen afterwards and level of play improved? The kind of guy that responds positively to being held accountable and not throw furniture from his balacony?

Bryant had one issue, weed and seems to have been resolved thanks to the new CBA.

I don’t know about his tenure in Oakland, wasn’t paying attention but again, I’m sure much of it was having to quit smoking pot. It’s a real addiction for some people.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This!!!!

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    poopoo

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    He’s nothing special

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We really dont know the extent of MB's problems. In Josh Gordon's case weed was not the only substance being abused. JMO but I'm guessing MB's substance abuse issues go further than weed as well.

Bryant's last year here he demanded the ball more. Called out a teammate on more than one occasion (JuJu). He demanded to be traded. His girlfriend was putting nonsense out on social media. I agree that once he was disciplined he was a model citizen, but the damage was already done.

This guy barely practiced in Oakland, and when he finally did get on the field he didnt contribute much.

People seem to remember Martavis as more than what he was. I remember him as a young player with potential that didnt pan out due to off the field concerns. I doubt that he is the answer to any teams problems just because he can now freely smoke weed.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fair enough but I disagree about remembering him being better than he was. He was a tale of two players and the player he was before the suspension problems was pretty damn good.

Kicking the tires on him doesn’t hurt, if he lost his game then cut him loose.

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace.

I vote "Yes"! I was watching highlights of him the other day. The man has some serious skills. It is a low-risk move on Management's part to do this. So again, I am on board with bringing him back. Ben is familiar with him. I think they had a good relationship both; Professionally and Personal. We know what he brings to the table and would now give two WRs with history with Ben; JuJu and Martavis. This would help immensely with Ben's return as he gets acclimated with Washington and Diontae.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:

• Like Like x 1
  25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace.

Nice post! I am telling you, the man has a great skill-set. I went down memory lane watching some of his highlights the other day. He can definitely ball. He just needs to get advice from the right people and get serious about life. I know that is easier said than done. Maybe the Steelers can get him a "Life Coach". As much as I hate that term, and cannot believe that such jobs even exist, there actually are some adults that need to be taken by the hand and guided until they are capable of blazing their own path in life independently. Martavis is definitely a candidate for that situation. Hey, even people who "seemingly" have more on the ball (Doctors, Lawyers, etc.) have their own life coaches. Their titles just go by other names. They are called Psycho-Therapists, AKA Psychiatrists and Clinical Social Workers. I just think that Martavis needs to be "guided". Now whether he is receptive of such action, and commits to it, is 100% up to him.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid