1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wide Receiver Prospects 2020

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Feb 20, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I am not sure it was half a season, might of been 2 games........lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So much is on the qb throwing to these guys too. What kind of qb do you have?

Throw a receiver open type. A guy that can put the ball on a receiver before he comes out of his break and pinpoints it to the receiver when he makes that break.

Make the receiver get open so you can get the pass to him type. This type needs quicker receivers with good route ability to get separation for the ball to get to them.

Up for grabs type. Make the receiver out fight a guy for the ball, putting it close so his guy has a better chance at it.

Scrambling type. They need receivers to break off routes to get open and work for the qb. Ones that don't give up on plays looking for open areas.

Do a little of it all type. Match this an with a do it all receiver or at least most of it.

I believe this is the trick. meshing the right qb with the right type of receiver for them. Then you have something. :cool:

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes and that’s one reason why Ben and AB were so great together. Ben doesn’t like to anticipate throws. He likes to throw to the guys when they become open, which AB was great at,route running and separation. Which some people actually questioned about him strangely.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

This is so true think about how Ben played it was more like sandlot ball. Nobody can tackle him so he extends the play and AB was always on the same page as Ben.....ON THE FIELD. That was what made them two so special together.......what a shame AB had to go nuts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Juju, washington, johnson, cain, darboh, switzer. :cool:

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Anyone else getting the feeling that WR is more than likely the pick at 49? WR is a deep class, like everyone knows, so there will be a very good prospect sitting there in the 2nd. If a lot of teams take a WR in the first, then RBs should go early 2nd, which would still leave a very good group of WRs left on the board.

After going defense early in most of the recent picks, it just seems like the offense is due.

We only have one pick in the top 100 so getting a big impact player for Ben's window seems like the way to go. And who else would give you more snaps as a rookie than a WR?

Swift, Dobbins or Taylor would be the only RBs worthy of 49 and I doubt they make it to 49. I think the FO still has faith in JC30 (more than the fans) and I do too since he will have a hopefully improved Snell splitting time and less of a loaded box with Ben back under center.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    With this being a decision/contract year for Juju I am now starting to think WR could be in play at 49. A week ago I was like I don't want a WR or RB at 49, I still don't want a WR but I am more open to a WR at 49. The NFL is an offensive league and more passing than running so if we go WR I would not be mad. I now feel like TE and RB are the positions I don't want at 49.

• Like Like x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If they are truly going BPA, i just keep coming back to WR as having the most value in the 2nd.

ILB would best be suited for the 3rd and 4th
    RB about the same if the top 3 go before 49
    S has a few but really you're just drafting for depth behind the two starters which doesn't seem the route to take
    DL has a couple prospects who could be there at 49
    OLB I don't see any guys jumping out at me, I'm not as high on Uche as some just because he's on the smaller side if you are looking for someone to replace Bud after the one year rental.
    TE no value at that point imo
    CB has some contenders but that might say they are giving up on Layne already and I don't think they are. Plus it'd be another position that would be sitting behind the starters.

really, WR, IOL and OT would give you good value. DL also but like I said earlier, I think offense has to be the pick.

• Like Like x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Here’s the thing though. While I agree a WR probably has the best chance of seeing snaps I would say that may only be true should most other positions stay healthy. I could see a OL, DL,S or ILB selected at 49 possibly playing significant snaps as well should we lose anyone at those positions. The thing with a WR is he is almost automatically 4th at best on the depth chart. That’s also if Switzer doesn’t make the team do to his elite ass kissing ability. So now you’re looking at 5th and we also have Cain as well. Factor in what we can assume to be a lot of two TE sets ,since we are paying a lot of money for them and I don’t see many 3 or 4 WR sets. If we do I would say we wasted money on the TE position Did I talk you out of it yet? ;)

Even with all that being said I still wouldn’t be completely against taking a WR at 49. I would just want something different than what we have. I would want a WR that can be very productive in the slot but also a versatile player in the Hardman,Hill mold. My hope is that Canada has some direct impact on some of the play calling and his calling card is using motion to confuse the defense. Someone with KR and PR ability as well so we have absolutely no need to waste a roster spot on Switzer and we can protect DJ because he is quickly becoming too important....JMO

The pick at 49 is pretty wide open. It probably will come down to BPA over need.....

• Like Like x 1
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was kind of thinking an outside threat, speedster type, like the Hardman/Hills, so we could return JuJu to the slot for the most part. If you go the outside receiver type, than you can really utilize the TEs creating havoc down the seam/middle of the field.

I still think Kerryth White can handle the KR duties and DJ can do the PRs. Hate to expose the guy there, but they did it with AB for a long time.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well,I know you like Claypool. I see JUJU,DJ outside and slot versatile depending on matchup. I see JW mostly outside and post runner. Cain mostly outside. So I think if you’re looking outside guy then the Claypool type size and speed is what we’re lacking. IMO we can do ok outside. It’s the quick gimmick, slot, jet sweep guy we are missing as well. So IMO we can go that direction or size(6’3 and up) speed type. I think those are the guys missing if anything. I agree on KW and DJ but it’s just a added bonus if we can find the guy that takes that role away from DJ

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Shenault
    Claypool

I’d be a happy man.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    JuJu, Washington, Johnson, Cain, Mims :thumbs_up:

17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I hope Ben's elbow is healthy because if we have that group along with Ebron and McDonald, Ben is going to want to throw 60 passes a game.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    But Ben loves switzer.:smiley1::cool:

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    IDK, but this is where it gets dicey. So many people have players ranked different spots. We really don't know what NFL teams have these players ranked at and we will never know as it is top secret. Guys fall and climb every year and all we have to go by is where the "experts" project them giving us a gauge. For example look at these 2 mocks:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...20-nfl-mock-draft-six-trades-shake-up-round-1

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-2.asp

One mock has Mims, Shenault and Dobbins to our spot and one don't. One thing I will say is while I feel there are some nice guys later in the draft at WR, Victor for example the fall off and quality at WR is bigger than a lot of other positions, imo. Here is my take as far as positions and players that might be around later if not drafted at #49:

RB - Dillon, Perine
    OLB - Davis-Gaither, Pinckney, Grennard, Highsmith, Willekes, Coleman and Danna
    TE - I don't think is an option with the signing of double E
    OG/C - Biadasz, Runyan, Hennessy and Onwenu

These are just guys I know about I didn't names ones I haven't watched or read about. I can see WR since the fall off is pretty more than other positions....jmo

• Like Like x 1
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

yes, prospects are rated all over the place. Not having the prospect visit list of who came to Pittsburgh also deepens the guessing game.

the linemen you mentioned are just prime picks for that 3rd round comp. I see Runyan in later rounds a lot but Biadasz and Hennessy for sure. I am hoping an OL is the pick in that spot.

I had OLB Alex Highsmith in my 4th round mock earlier, he'd be a good prospect to get insurance for after Bud.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It's not just the picks but how they feel about the backups they have, and how sure they are with designing dupree long term and how they look at the receivers going forward. 49 has got to make a difference. All these one year all in deals make it tough to gauge anything.

say a guy like Dobbins will help the offense on 250 plays on the season. A WR may get 35 balls his way. An OLB may get 5 plays a game behind our starter. A lineman may get zero this year unless he starts, then what about the other signings and draft picks. An ILB may get 60% of the plays. A corner or safety may get 10%. A NT may get 30% of the plays. Drafting for the future or the all in is the up in the air problem that we don't know. These one year guys will create a lot of holes next year if we come up just short with ben. Then we start again like this year for bens final year. Maybe. All in again? :cool:

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't mean he will make the roster, Ben loved AB too :shrug:.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed about the visit list for sure. The players I listed are all later picks that was what I was saying. These are guys I like who we can have later but when you look at the WR list imo I don't feel it as deep.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The only aspect any of us are certain is that Pittsburgh will draft a Wide Receiver from a Power 5 Conference. Who that is, I have not the foggiest. That said, of the limited resources we do have, we can gauge who specifically is in play using what we know on whom the team has looked at this season but also which colleges the team has frequently stopped at on the Pro Day Circuit. They are as follows;

Micheal Pittman Jr.: Met Tomlin At Senior Bowl

Jalen Raegor: Scouting Combine Meeting

Tee Higgins: *** Assumed *** Pro Day Meeting before COVID-19 Shutdown

*** Donovan Peoples Jones ***: Scheduled Meeting before COVID-19 Shutdown.

*** Van Jefferson ***: Scouting Combine Meeting

*** Chase Claypool ***: *** Assumed Planned Meeting. ***

*** Tomlin and/or Colbert regularly go to Notre Dame ***

*** Justin Jefferson ***: *** Assumed Planned Meeting. ***

*** Tomlin and/or Colbert Regularly go to LSU. ***

Again everyone, Power 5 matters here. LSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, and others fit here. Ohio State and Michigan as well. However, keep in mind that, due to the current circumstances, just about anything is up in the air here. Using that as our basis, let us add a couple more players shall we?!

*** Denzel Mims ***

*** Laviska Shenault Jr. ***

*** K.J. Hamler ***

Factoring in all the current information above, now it comes down to breaking down to the current paradigm. Pittsburgh has kept its draft choices based off of both NFL Bloodlines and having the whole "Hearts 'n' Smarts" within the past three seasons; five seasons if simply accounting for the "Hearts 'n' Smarts" mantra that started with Bud Dupree. For those who have these traits will be listed below.

*** One asterisk will indicate the H&S field while two will indicate both H&S and NFL Bloodlines. ***

** Micheal Pittman Jr.

** Jalen Raegor

* Chase Claypool

* Justin Jefferson

* Donovan Peoples Jones

* Denzel Mims

More often than not, as well all have seen since 2017, having both qualities increases the likelihood of one being the Steelers first pick. However, keep in mind that this is not always the case as Pittsburgh initially wanted RaShaan Evans before settling on Terrell Edmunds. Devin Bush Jr had to be acquired via trade but thankfully I doubt the team goes in that direction with the limited draft capital. That said, of these aforementioned Wideouts, here are my five personal rankings for each in terms of who the Steelers likely will draft.

1.) Micheal Pittman Jr.: Yes, yes, Round 2 definitely is likely too rich for some; myself included. That said, have the Steelers ever cared about the general consensus like other teams do?! In addition, there is an even deeper connection than his father being a Super Bowl Champ and playing for the Tampa Bay Bucs in 2002; Tomlins team at the time. Former USC Athletic Director Lynn Swann and JuJu Smith Schuster also hail from USC and both likely have had time to tell Pittman Jr. about the team. Will he be pick 49 come April?! Difficult to say but the signs are there for him.

2.) Jalen Raegor: I know some would want Denzel Mims or even, like me, Tee Higgins here. However, given the history of how Tomlin drafts his players, Raegor fits the bill due to the NFL Bloodlines and H&S ideology the team has adopted. His father, Montae Raegor was a Defensive Tackle who won Super Bowl XLI with the Indianapolis Colts. In addition, this team still needs a "Thermonuclear Option" on Offense. Jalen can play in a limited role but his explosiveness and playmaking capabilities will make him an asset early on.

3.) Chase Claypool: Not a natural technician of pass catching by any means but ridiculously athletic with loads of potential to boot. Again, this would be a major issue but not only is Claypool a thermonuclear option but he can also play Special Teams right off the bat; something I am certain Tomlin and the other Coaching Staff would appreciate.

4.) Donovan Peoples Jones: Pick 49 you say?! Unlikely but again, crazier things have happened. Jones' lack of production has a lot to do with Shea Patterson than himself. Has the potential to be a complete receiver but he is a bit raw due to the lack of quality QB play and will need some time. That said, even in a limited role, Jones is very versatile like the aforementioned three with the exception of playing Special Teams. One final note, it is possible that Devin Bush Jr. is indirectly playing a role here similar to what Ryan Shazier did in terms of recruiting players from their own teams; an influence of sorts

5.) Justin Jefferson: While I would want to have him higher, it will not shock me if Jefferson is gone in Round 1 if not early Day 2. The most complete Receiver on this list, Jefferson would not only be a "Thermonuclear Option" but possibly some JuJu insurance if JuJu prices himself out of here.

These five to me have the best chances of hearing their name called come pick 49. I wish I could include Denzel Mims and Tee Higgins but I truly am now convinced that, given their high floor and ceiling, both will likely be gone before pick 49. As such, given Puttsburgh's limited draft capital, staying put and opting for other options is the best bet. That said, these five options are not bad at all by any means.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't forget this is the second round and not the first. AB, Ben, DJ, AV, feiler, hargraves, nix, chuks, UG3, Ola, not from power 5 conferences. Some of our better players. I know not all draft picks but.... Pretty good results at wr. :cool: