1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Return of a True Nose Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Mar 15, 2020.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Da Stellars.

Not that I am keeping count (laughing) but I think you are the only one on board with me so far (smile). In all seriousness though, there are some teams that are still implementing it as you have stated. I really see it as working. The "Mixing and Matching" of the two types of NTs could work. Especially now that we finally seemed to have solved the other OLB issue with Dupree. It only took nine years for crying out loud. Four with Jarvis "Bust" Jones and four mediocre years with Bud until he finally came around in year #5. Take care. Thank you for responding.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey MojaveDesertPghFan.

I hope all is well. Yes, by no means am I an "arm-chairing DC". Just trying to stir up quality dialogue. However, you may remember a post I put up a while ago asking Board Members about any legitimate Football Coaching experience they may have under their belts. I for one have minimal. However, I do not dismiss everyone's opinion here. From the responses to that thread there seems to be some Board Members that are fairly knowledgeable about the coaching aspect of Football. However, given that, I agree with you. None of us here knows what takes place on the day to day operations at Steelers' Central (smile).

Also, I stated in another response here that after witnessing Tennessee in the playoffs the so-called "Pass-Dominated" league may be ever so slightly transforming to a degree. I believe that there were serval other teams last season that were starting to lean on the run a bit more. Tennessee is the best example I can give for now. Take care.

3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Just having fun here. How about your: "Two defensive tackles to collapse the inside" and we sell out the house by sending nine on an ALL-OUT BLITZ! just kidding but man that would be something to see. Huh? It would be even greater if they completely buried the opposing QB as he held onto the ball for dear life. Take care Roonatic.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Terrible choice, They need to send Big Dan on to his life's work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dan Dan the lifetime contract man. You want him manning the middle? I don't. They need to draft or get a scrap heap free agent to man the nose. Unless they can come to a friendly contract with Hargrave.

The cap right now after the CBA will be 11 mill with 10 coming from the CBA. Draft signings, Heyward extension will eat up a chunk.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no but I could see it happening.:cool:

7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey CK 13.

Perfect name for Dan: "Dan Dan the lifetime contract man". Funny! Yeah, I do not get it. Sure, he is familiar with their system. Hey, so am I from an "arm-chair" standpoint. Give me a hat. I can do just as good. I am completely mind-boggled as to why he remains on this team. He is near (I will give a little credit) but near useless. We could do so much better. I am pretty sure that we can find a big body NT in the later rounds of the draft to replace him. Maybe not the Casey 2.0 that I want but pretty sure we can find an upgrade. Take care.

8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If the defense was built around a run stuffer like big snack, like it was in his prime, then it would work. Our defense is much more fluid now. Putting a solid run stuffer in the middle isn't going to benefit this particular group. 3rd or 4th and 1? Sure it would be nice to have. But today, a Hampton-esque NT will clog up rushing lanes on passing downs. And our suspect secondary is still going to be tested more often than not.

9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey The Glory Days.

I hope all has been well. I have not been on the Board in a while. Your Quote: "our suspect secondary". Do you think that our Secondary is "suspect" still? I have personally, seen a vastly improved, nearly shut-down type, secondary over the last year. Obviously, the change in personnel, not coaching (IMO), has to be accredited for that. Look at whom we have: Haden-Nelson combination: near lock-down corners, Fitzpatrick what else can be said , just awesome. Now, Edmunds still is a weak link I admit. I hope he gets "it" this year and not Year #5 like Dupree who now has Management over a barrel regarding negotiations. At this point Edmunds is borderline bust IMO.

Back to the Casey 2.0 point, I really think it can work for all of the reasons I have outlined in the original Thread and Post. Another point is an observation that I have pointed out in other replies in this thread. That is, ever so slightly, there is a trend of teams returning to the run. As I stated in those replies, the best example I can give is Tennessee and what they did throughout the regular season and playoffs with their RB. Grant it, their QB had a nice run as well. However, I can not think off hand but several other teams this past season, again ever-so slightly, but observable, have been balancing out a bit more to the "run". Just an observation that may help support my vision a bit more. Take care.

10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey jeh1856. I hope all is well.

We can't keep Dan around just for the sake of familiarity of the system. He is borderline worthless. Let's get a big body NT in the later rounds of the draft with some heart and an aggressive attitude. Dan possesses neither IMO. He does not deserve a hat anymore IMO. He has been given ample time to prove himself and has failed miserably, again IMO.

We can find a Casey prototype in the draft especially if the popular opinion is that the position has become antiquated and obsolete. All trends whether new, or coming full-circle, have to start somewhere. Let us go full-circle and bring Casey 2.0 in. I really feel it will work with the "Mix and Match" (substitution) concept of the Hargrave and Casey types that I proposed in which snaps are dictated by situational football (i.e., the down and the yardage needed to get another first down). Take care.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I disagree. Calais is nearing the end of his prime. While I do not doubt his ability to generate consistent pressure, how much pressure can he bring will be something of interest. Seems more so a veterans presence than anything else.

Micheal Brockers on the other hand is a quality upgrade. His versatility is very good. He will definitely cause some issues.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey

All is well

I agree with everything you say

I still bet Dan plays another year

It’s a predictable formula every year. Even if they draft someone they will keep an experienced guy until the rookie develops.

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey jeh1856.

You know you are the first for me to state this. It sounds kind of weird. Even to me as I post. That is, when I start a reply by addressing your Board name: "Hey jeh1856" it is out of respect for the person, because most of us here do not expose our real names. It would sound better for example if one's name was.... Tony let's say. Then the introduction would be "Hey Tony". Oh well, I just felt the need to say that one day so now it is out of my system. It never has been a problem with anyone. Once again it is just a courtesy thing. Thank you for listening.

Back to Dan. Yeah, I do not get why he is still around. He is Tree-Size physically but Shrub-Size performance-based. Unfortunately, with the way contracts are developed we do not always have the luxury of waiting for a player to develop. Even when we throw them into the fire it does not always work. Look at Jarvis Jones....Bust.

Look at Bud Dupree. Yeah he might be finally coming around but now he and his agent get to call the shots because it took to his final year in contract to get it together. This leaves them holding all the cards. If he had come around in year #4 or earlier we would not have to be worrying about the Tag scenario or the Free Agency issue.

I hope Edmunds gets it together this year (Year #4) vs. Year #5, if he even gets that far. Otherwise, we have another Bud Dupree situation on our hands. Some may argue: "Better late than never" but all we get to show for it really is one good year out of five and an extension negotiating headache. Take care.