1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will There Even Be an NFL Season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry about your job @CK 13 My business is suffering too, 10 cancellations and counting.

And yes, to everyone, please lets not talk politics, the thread will get locked down faster than Covid spread.

Back on topic, from Schefter

• Like Like x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If you need hand sanitizer go to tennessee. There is a guy sitting on 17700 bottles. Tried to make a fortune on amazon, but his account was suspended for price gouging.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Sounds like a great human being.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Hopefully his neighbors have looted his garage

• Like Like x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'll bet in a month, two months tops; Everyone will be embarrassed by the 'response' to this crises. The NFL kickoff weekend will proceed as planned.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    countries are closing their borders, but it’s no big deal

It’s just a flesh wound!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This is actually great news. No, not because it makes sense and may help slow down the virus spread. But because it means that CNN will now have other Countries to bash with misguided claims of Xenophobia. :dancing:

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And there lies the rub. If these drastic measures are successful in mitigating the spread, people like you will say, SEE! Overreaction.

Ask Italy and China if it’s serious.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Proof of your claims?

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It is serious. No question. Precaution is warranted. But 15,000 die in the US of the regular flu every year. Ho hum. Coved-19 may not kill 1/10 as many.
    it ain't me. It will be society as a whole saying, gee did we overdo this?

I mean we could cut traffic fatalities in half by instituting a 20 mph speed limit, and save 20,000 lives a yr. Abundance of caution, right? Save 10x what Covid 19 will take, every yr. We don't that. Why not?

Look, thus ain't a political forum , and i wont make it one. I'm just amused at what energizes people and what doesn't.

That being said, overreaction or under reaction, come NFL time, the skies will clear, the public will be ready, and the NFL KO will happen as usual to great public fanfare.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s the domino effect, hospitals aren’t capable of handling the amount of patients that will come through their doors which will in turn cause other people in need of medical attention unrelated to Covid to suffer.

Also, Dr Fauci said the comparison to seasonal flu is a bad comparison, this is more contagious and lethal. There is also a vaccine for flu. This is a new disease that people have not built up any immunity to. Italy had 133 deaths in 1 day.

I’m shocked that major league sports have taken these measures and also impressed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A few years ago I read an interesting article on polio and potential for worldwide pandemics based on what was believed to be an eradicated disease. Basically before the polio vaccine was developed most children and adults were able to build up immunity to it based on the poor infrastructure of the country in the 1800s. Basically since waste water was typical dumped into streets where children and adults could come into contact with fecal particles that carried the disease. So with the advancements of plumbing and infrastructure there is really zero contact with that kind of waste and no naturally built up immunity.

So if another country developed a new strain to weaponize there would be no way to halt the spread before it was out of control. Sobering to think that access to poo water was key to being immune to polio.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    No claims being made Strum so no proof necessary. I think it's just a case of each of us running out of green ink. I took your post to be sarcasm and certainly meant for mine to be also.

Here's an observation, not a claim or opinion - it's interesting that for the first month or so, CNN called this disease the Chinese Virus or the WuHan Virus or Flu but now deems anyone using these terms as racist yet never had a problem using terms like Ebola Plague or West Nile Virus which were both named after rivers in Africa near points of origin. And yes I know, all such observations cut both ways. I'm sure we could go on all day. That said, I'd much rather be watching live sports right now than debating this crap. Funny, I don't really follow golf much but got real excited earlier today when I was flipping through the channels and a live golf event, The Players Championship was airing and actually had hundreds people cheering in the galleys. It was so refreshing until I noticed in the info box that this was a re-run of last year's event and that this years' had been cancelled. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So if I have this right Thorn, you're saying that the healthiest places to be to avoid contracting polio would be the streets of San Francisco, LA and Calcutta? I'm sure that's not what you meant but someone could make the argument (assuming one did not contract a myriad of others dreaded diseases).

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Again post proof that cnn first called it the Chinese virus and now deems people that use the term racist.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That’s really **** about your job. Sorry to hear it.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That is sorta what I meant. Third world countries and under developed countries would be more resistant to a new polio outbreak based on contact with waste water and bio waste than people in the U.S. would be since exposure to the type of th hing that used to make for a hearty stock of the population just isn't there.

18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I see Chuck Norris has contacted the coronavirus. The virus now has to undergo a 14 day quarantine. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Corona virus male looking for female with Lyme disease....

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, almost seems like just about everything is shutting down for a while worldwide. Strange times.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Since you asked nicely twice, here's a start. These are quite easy to find for those so interested and like most things media related, not surprising when everyone is consumed with jockeying for position 24/7. It does extend beyond CNN but it would be redundant to track all of those. I direct you to the very last link if you want to cut to the chase and view a time lapse recap.

On January 23, 2020
    , CNN Reporter Jim Acosta tweeted:

[​IMG]

Jim Acosta @Acosta

CNN International: Authorities in Beijing have cancelled all large-scale Chinese New Year celebrations in an effort to contain the growing spread of Wuhan Coronavirus.

5:05 AM - Jan 23, 2020

On February 18, 2020, CNN reported: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/health/what-is-coronavirus-explained/index.html

And now the "xenophobic" and "racist" angle:

• Winner Winner x 3
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is the part many people don't seem to get. The entire point of trying to slow the spread is to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, something that has already happened in Italy.

I may have gotten more first-hand experience with Corona Virus 19 than I wanted. I had a cough during the day Friday, which really didn't get my attention. I have allergies, so that is pretty common for me. Then I found out during the day that one of the people at a meeting I attended Thursday night might have been exposed.

I felt worse as the evening went on Friday and when I took my temperature, I found I had a 102-degree fever. I called my doctor's office and between the potential exposure and my symptoms, she decided to see about getting me tested. I got a call back an hour later telling me they were waiting for me at a nearby emergency room.

They tested me for both the flu and Corona Virus 19. The flu test came back negative. I'm still waiting on the test results for Corona, which cane take up to four days. I feel like crap, but my symptoms haven't gotten worse. i'm actually surprised they tested me as some people have trouble getting a test at all.

What I did notice is they had trouble finding me an isolation room. The nurse told me that while she didn't think I did anything wrong, doctors have been too quick to send people for tests and the hospital was already having a hard time keeping up.

The entire experience just drove home the point of how easily this can get out of hand. I'm on isolation at least until I get the test results, but either way, we should all be taking this stuff seriously by now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your situation Scribe, here's hoping it's not the real deal and wishing you well and a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted - you're our canary in the coal mine so to speak. :thumbs_up:

I feel fortunate so far, I've worked from a home office since the mid 90's, don't have to attend meetings in person - all telecommunications, I live alone, closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and I'm stocked up with all essentials and prepper food probably to get me by for 120+ days. I wrote the book on social distancing.

24. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Hope you’re on the road to recovery, whatever it is.

There’s an opposite issue here in the UK with testing: they’ve advised isolation first and testing only if you’re hospitalised by symptoms.

The issue is then that our “numbers” will go down, whilst people with a bit of a cough claim to have had the virus and “it’s not too bad“ etc etc.

25. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I love my wife and kids and all, but dammit I’m still envious of you Mojave