1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Memo to Kevin Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 13, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Now would be a good time to start making some moves to clear some salary cap space, you see other teams starting to use their franchise tag, what's the holdup on Dupree getting tagged?

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Easy, Colbert will figure it out...........:shrug:

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I mean if we weren’t worried about it then...I’m sure he’s got it figured out by now...no?

• Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    ....although a smart man would wait until the players vote on Saturday before making any moves....you know kinda like KC is doing now. Just sayin......

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sure he’ll figure it out....

• Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

KC is on the phone right now with MT hoping he has an answer, maybe even cure COVID-19

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sure he already has it....did you know MT can slam a revolving door?

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I knew he was a solid gold dancer but I didn't know that...........

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Really no point or advantage in tagging early. I am sure they are waiting on the voting results to determine what moves they will have to make, if it passes they can pretty much restructure enough with 4 players to get all they need, if not they will have to restructure and cut just to make the tag, then do more miracles.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Other teams are making some moves, they didn't wait until the CBA to cut guys or tag players.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Most other teams have much more cap space and are a lot less dependent on the outcome of the CBA.

I wonder are they still not 100% in on tagging Bud. I have stated all along that if the cap stays at the originally projected $200m approx I’d let him walk away because the cuts you’d need to make to keep him would hurt too much. If it goes up substantially as part of the CBA deal then it becomes a no brainer to keep him for at least another year.

we will know soon enough

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This exactly. Im not so sure its a slam dunk Bud gets tagged. Doing so before the cap is set would be foolish.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Another possibility is that they have a roughed out extension with Bud, but need the final CBA rules to finalize the deal. That’s not where I would go, but he is their stated priority.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    unleashing hell was a stated priority too...... Just sayin. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes, you could be right. Like you, I’m not sold on him long term unless it’s a team friendly deal. Even then I don’t see it, Watt is coming up and they can’t invest $35 - $40m in edge players long term. Keeping him on the tag makes more sense if they want to make one last run with Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Other team have more cap room it isn't a problem for them to do it. Come on 6 you are one of the posters that keeps posting about how we can't go after a player one of us posters here talks about because of our cap room.....or lack of it. It is pretty basic for the Steeler on why they are not making a move to use any tag because of the vote TODAY.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How would everyone feel about DuPree after we tag him and he reverts to playing like he did 80% of his time here? Why couldn't DuPree play like Bush did in his rookie year or like someone who was a 1st round draft choice during years 1-4? I don't have any clue to what the answer is, but wish I did.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Several factors could have played in to his improvement, for example

• injury free season
    • Butler coaching him instead of porter
    • Playing across from TJ who took a huge step forward, Cam also had a monster year
    • Hugely improved secondary caused issues for opposition QB’s and gave the pass rush opportunities
    Everyone on D was fairly solid in 2019 and it helped everyone look better. I would not expect any major regression from Bud if they tag or extend him, none of the guys in the secondary are going anywhere and Bush should also kick on in 2020. I think they could be elite in 2020 if they stay relatively injury free. It’s the offence I’m worried about.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Dupree wasn't terrible 80% of his time here. There are risks associated with signing any NFL player.

Bush had his struggles this year.

Why couldn't Dupree play like Bush? Bush came from a better program with better defensive players at Michigan. As a result, I believe Bush was able to play exclusively at MLB at Michigan.

Dupree is a good athlete for a man of his size. He was raw position wise coming into the NFL. He played muliple positions on the Kentucky defense that lacked talent. Dupree's athleticism was one reason Kentucky moved Dupree around. Early injuries in the NFL probably hurt his on field development. Switching to ROLB from LOLB seems to be the best fit for Dupree.

The major question is can he maintain consistency? I suppose the Steelers believe that he can. Only time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I agree with your post 100% but if we signed a mid level free agent at half the price all of your aforementioned factors still come into play. I don't think there'd be that significant a dropoff in play with a cheaper guy. At least not significant as the extra cap hit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The unknown is what motivates Bud. All of what you say is correct, and perhaps this last year was an outlier of even more potential and great play...or was a looming opportunity to cash in for as yet untold millions something that made him focus more on the field? IDK, and I am not trying to cast Bud in that way, just saying he would not be the first player who had an outstanding contract year and then play fell off greatly. As you said all FA signings have risks, I just feel the amount from a tag, or even a signing later this year could go along way in securing other needed positions the team is lacking in. With the corners set, I think the real force in this D starts with Cam, TJ, and Minkah. If Tuitt comes back healthy it alleviates a lot of the stress in losing Hargrave. Putting a 2nd round tag on Hilton and keeping him is not far from losing Bud. With all that in place replacing Bud is easier IMO, and that extra money can go a long way to secure some much needed O line and TE help.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah this was beat to death in other threads about a cheaper option. Nobody knows for sure what anyone is gonna make but the list of guys to replace is very long and I am pretty sure at least half of these guys will fit our price range. Beasley, Jenkins, Golden, Van Noy, Correa, Orchard, Frackell, Judon are just some names that could be half the cost of Bud while still offering a lot of the same production.....if not the same. All that and we would be able to sign some key guys like Hilton, Feiler, Banner and Finney. IMO it is a pretty easy decision.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hopefully they have made up their minds that franchising Dupree is a mistake. Because it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree that once some players get paid the uknown definitely exists. I think Woodly's play dropped off once he was paid.

Tuitt is a question at this point. Dline and Oline can always be addressed in the draft or free agency every year.

Good players are difficult to replace. Plus there is the unknown factor when adding free agents. The Steelers usually prefer to pay their own players.

A deal hinges on the type of contract structure that Bud seeks. Maybe Bud learned something from Bell? Sometimes leaving a good situation can set you back on the field and ultimately financially.

25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Every player has their own variables, but in the end financial security seems to always be the top of the list. Now what 'security' is to one man is far different than another. While tagging him gives the Steelers time (and for a market to be set), it really all depends on if the CBA gets approves. If it does the team can restructure, tag, release and have some room to re-sign others and possibly bring in some late tier FA's. If it does not, then the restructuring is limited and the tag takes up most if not all of that, thus limiting further action on any great scale. Interesting next couple of days indeed.