1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A deeper look at Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Mar 1, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Where did I say anything about Harrison? and where did I say players should dictate their playing time? Let’s remove JH from the discussion because I didn’t say anything about him. My point is a few more carries for Blount could have made the difference between him walking out or not. The philosophy of running your RBs into the ground is flawed and even more so when you sign a capable RB in FA....only to not use him. IMO it was a poor decision by MT just like the idea of taking Spence off his couch...

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The problem, as always, is that your assessment of what Tomlin was “given” is overly optimistic (not to mention omits the development of the players whilst at the Steelers).

Ive already made the points that:

- the “Super Bowl calibre” team he inherited was good, but not the best.

- most coaches who inherit a high calibre team **** it up. Then they get fired. This is because nobody is “gifted” a Super Bowl team.

- the “best offensive talent ever seen” was not on a par with the truly legendary offenses, and most of them didn’t actually win a SB in their legendary years.

We all know the point you’re trying to make, but without addressing these issues with your premises, the discussion will just go round in circles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They gave him Flacco with a Hugeeeeeee .contract. He was their franchise QB.

"Bert is taking us to the SB."
    2019_Performers_SesameStreet_Bert.jpg

We're set for a decade."
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Tomlin is blessed with Big Ben.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A RB playing time is also decided by the RB coach, and the OC, the HC can override the decisions though.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    .....and he didn’t...

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell>Blount

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Bell + Blount ^ Bell - Blount =0 Blount + NE = SB. Why do you always have to twist things? All I said is if MT gave Blount more carries he probably doesn’t walk. Wasn’t comparing the 2....it’s ok to admit people make mistakes ,even MT....

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And keeping Blount didn't mean the Steelers were going to the SB, just because it happened with NE :shrug:.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok keep it simple....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Would it have improved our chances? Probably. Did it improve their chances? Certainly . Go look up his numbers when he left and went there....

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Don't ya know Bell>Blount but Blount is > an injuried Bell???????

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I dunno. Storming out on the team in the way he did suggests to me there was more to it.

Maybe there was more mismanagement behind the scenes. Maybe Blount really was a dick. I don’t think a few carries would have made the difference though. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We may never know but one would have to say it didn’t exactly help us and certainly helped them. He was a wrecking ball for NE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Fact.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Blount >Tate...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't think the point was that they were a terrible team, we were. Losing to a team at home twice and the last time with a bye to prepare and rest, hurt. Getting blown out by 21 in the first quarter because we were obviously unprepared, that was inexcusable and cannot be defended in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not inexcusable when you factor in the turnovers. Teams are generally prepared. When the players fail to execute then the plan fails. Turnovers are at the top of the list in determining the out come of games when they occur.

18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    One thing about the playoff game that killed me was the fact we were playing Bortles and he could throw down field and what did we do play 5-7 yards off giving him easy passes. That is game planning and who does that reflect? Unfortunately some here don't like it when you point that out and call us haters, I call it being truthful. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    But it gave us one less killer B, on the positive side for a few players, one less Blount meant one more blunt to pass around.

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Here I was thinking our coaches were to get the players developed so that they didn't have so many turnovers or adjust failing plans and play calling when needed. My mistake. The HC is responsible for all the team does or fails to do. Leadership 101.

• Like Like x 1
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You can be give the answers to the test and still fail.

It's a good thing the ownership knows and understands the HC isn't responsible for everything the team does or fails to do.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Unprepared is an understatement. That game was ugly from both coaches & players. The players needed to be b'!¢h slapped by the Jags before they woke up. Defense kept on dreaming about Foxborough. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The point was very clearly made, you just don't want to see it. So let me just say this....so you can't pick apart little pieces.....

Tomlin's accomplishments are nothing special given the opportunities he has had

Back to the excuses..................

24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe Bruce Ariens is the missing piece.:shrug: Haven't done nothing since he 'retired'. (2012-present)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    There's not a single player in the NFL in charge of the team, no matter how big of a diva he is. Add the entire 53 man roster together and you still have less authority than the head coach. The HC is responsible for the team. If a team doesn't perform, it IS on the HC. Who makes a change at a position or benches a player for not performing? The HC. Why? Because it isn't up to the player to make that decision. Every detail of the week leading up to gameday and including gameday is on the HC's plate. That's the job, to be responsible for the product put on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1