1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

That’s not a mock....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by thesteeldeal, Mar 6, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah well I’m hoping Ground Hog Day Fichtner doesn’t see his shadow much longer....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Right there with ya however we have a long ways to wait for that

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If the team is concerned about safety, K'Von Wallace as the third round comp pick probably is the best bet. He is no where the athlete Terrell Edmunds is but he is a great athlete in his own right; his 4th place finish within the pSPARQ and possessing a Relative Athletic Score of 9.44 out of 10 being great for safety standards. Again, not otherworldly like Terrell but great overall. However, there is one area in which K'Von shines in.

Unlike Terrell when he came out, K'Von's Football IQ and instincts are far superior. Not just being used in one position either. K'Von wore multiple hats during his time at Clemson and did well in all of them. More importantly, he would be a perfect compliment to Minkah as K'Von currently acts and reacts better towards what is in front of him from either shallow zones to being in the box.

That said, I would have him redshirted. His tenacity, desire and perseverance are important traits but tackling is too. It is not that he dislikes tackling... he just needs to take better angles and use more effective technique. Once he improves from there, I believe he will become a quality starter and excellent partner in crime to Minkah when Terrell goes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well MT and KC were at Clemson’s Pro day so that’s a start.....

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yesh but was it for Tanner Muse who plays the kind of position Tomlin is in love with S/LB????

Also throw in Dan Rooney Jr being there as well.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe we’re trading our whole draft for Isiah Simmons....:shrug:. There’s also Wallace that @AskQuestionsLater mentioned...

• Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

I have muse in my mock, he would be a good fit here. Make that excellent fit here and keep over priced Vince on the bench or elsewhere. They also have John Simpson an offensive guard that will be right around our first pick. Lots of good players to choose from on that team.:cool:

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If they decide to take a S I hope it’s a FS. We have enough hybrid types. I want someone who can play single high and allow us to move Fitzpatrick around. Right now MF is our only S that is capable of playing FS and we saw how important having someone like that is. It would allow more flexibility for MF....jmo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Why? To sit on the bench? Muse has cover skills, better then bush. Why move minka? Where do you want to move him to? He's good but he's not troy. Muse would be more troy like and if we are getting rid of Barron which I'm not for, he would be good in that spot. Sure a backup fs would be nice at some point but fill the holes first. Hilton needs resigned. He can play that fs spot if needed. I'd really hate to lose him.:cool:

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t be sure we lose Barron. Then what do we do with Muse? I don’t want to move Minkah but I don’t want to pigeonhole him either. There’s already talk of a expanded role. So who plays FS when he is moved around? No one on the roster and don’t tell me Hilton because he’s yet to prove that. We need a backup FS anyway regardless. Notice the impact MF when we actually had a legitimate FS....something we hadn’t had for years previous. We have too many SS/LBs already. What about UG3 when and where does he play? So Muse is more Troy and he hasn’t played a down in the league and Minkah isn’t more Troy even though he’s been playing some different roles already in his 2 years? and plenty in college...

Edit: After further review it looks like Muse is being moved to LB and I did say if they draft a S I would draft a FS. A position change is difficult from college to the pro’s so I doubt he would have any impact on this years team. UG3 also needs a LB spot and a chance to play. My prediction if Barron is released is VW and Bush even though I know it’s a tough pill to swallow for you;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Do it..........

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    My problem is why move a guy that we finally found can do what we need?

Again in the same vein this guy is saying why go back to what we had at safety, then why go back to vince at lb? For two years we have been trying to limit his role because he isn't good at it, so now to back to him?

Bush alone have up 5 tds in pass defense.

Hilton played fs very well the one time he was asked to try it in preseason. Very well infact. He also played it in college.

I wasn't talking about muse playing minkas role but has done it they cut him.

UG3 is also unproven and doesn't have the same safety/LB skills of muse, nor the speed. I like UG3. I was the first on here to mention him as a draft pick last year. He was in my original mock. I like spillane too. All of them better then vince. Vince is extremely overpaid and one dimensional and not very good at that one dimension. I'm not sure why everyone wants him back in the lineup. I'd rather UG3 or spillane play the role Vince plays.

Muse and Bush would bring tremendous speed to the position. True sideline to sideline ability together. It's probably our biggest area of need it Barron goes. Our next is Hilton's spot. Then hargraves. Deal the short area and middle of the field coverage of TEs and RBs and minka will have much less to worry about. :cool:

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You’re missing the point. When you have a athlete like MF you try and give him other things to do to disrupt a offense and have them wondering where one of the most talented players on the defense is at all times. They are already talking about a expanded role and he says he wants it himself. There a reason why he came in like gangbusters getting his hands on so many TOs. Then teams adjusted to where they knew he was gonna be and the TOs fell off. I don’t think you’re gonna change their minds when they say that’s their plan for him:smiley1:

Think about what you just said about Hilton....he played FS very well the one time he was asked to do it in PS. Should I bother dissecting that statement? Isn’t it obvious and even more obvious when MF got here how bad this defense has been lacking a true FS for years? Now we have one and we only need one and no depth there? When you’re current one has already been penciled in for having more versatility this year.

I think where our wires are crossed is I’m saying “if “ we draft a S it needs to be a FS. Not a SS or SS/LB. Muse from the way everything sounds is being asked to change positions to LB. If they draft Muse for LB I’m not mad at them if they think he’s the future next to Bush. I just don’t want them to take a guy who they think is both because they rarely are effective at both. If they want a coverage LB go for Muse but if they want a S go for a FS that’s my point I’m trying to make.

As far as VW I think you’re totally overboard on his criticism. You have said you would cut him to save 1 mil dollars. That’s a little irrational I think. Is he perfect? No. He’d also not just good at one thing. He’s a downhill thumper and has proven to be a very effective blitzer as well. In fact I remember reading and I will try to find a stat that showed even though on a smaller sample size his coverage actually rated higher than Barron. You seem to be ok with smaller sample sizes in other instances so keep that in mind if I can prove those stats to you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Did I mention hilton played it in college too?

Vince had one pass defended last year. Yes that is a small sample size. He has never forced a fumble. He had 28 solo tackles on the year. Out of his 17.5 sacks, 8 came in one year, the rest over the other 6 years. You realize his cap hit is 7 mil. a year. He has 5 passes defended in his career of 7 years. I'd like to see this write up you are talking about.:cool:

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers had dinner with Tanner muse.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    If they decide to get a fs, Julian Blackmon may be the best of the bunch this year. Utah and Clemson may be the best places to look for the Steelers to restock depth on defense for where we are picking. Very solid players on day two and three. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Do you realize his cap hit is still 6 mil if we cut him? and you’re advocating that? VW has a role on this team . Go look at the ypc when he’s in the game compared to others. We have a lot of high powered rushing offenses this year to face this year. VW has been a good player for us I don’t know why you rail against him every chance you get. There’s plenty of articles that talk about how important VW is. Especially in the absence of Tuitt last year....
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...teelers-rush-defense-and-the-numbers-prove-it

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    FS prospects are very thin this year imo. Blackmon would be a good one to add.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Here's my pre FA version...

2nd round – Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame - my draft crush, he was on my radar since last year

3rd round comp – Tyler Biadasz OL Wisconsin - does he make it to this spot is the question

4th round – Alex Highsmith OLB Charlotte - needs to get in the weight room but if they tag Bud, he has the time to develop and they interviewed 3 OLBs at the combine that we know of so they have interest to add one. (CBs also had 3 I think)

4th round – Davon Hamilton DT Ohio State - push and compete with Buggs

6th round – Jaqaurius Landrews S Miss St - 6' 200 and offers some versatility

7th round – Sean McKeon TE Michigan - I tried to find a corner here but no one stood out to me... McKeon is a blocker first type TE.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Alex Highsmith has a face time meeting scheduled with the Steelers. I'm sure this will be the majority of the "visits" going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like this.......