1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will There Even Be an NFL Season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 12, 2020.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    March madness is taking place with no one in the stands and it's looking like it may go the same way for mlb and nhl games, which are all things that are extremely hard to imagine and probably harder to see on TV.... I do believe the NFL season is far enough off to hold out hope but this isn't looking very good

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Very interesting!

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The NBA suspended operations. The NHL is likely to do the same any moment now. Events are being cancelled all over the country. Schools are closing for weeks. The death rate from this virus is much higher than the flu and the spread in this country is just getting started.

But yeah, it's all made up as part of a conspiracy by the media to change the outcome of the election this fall. :facepalm:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Whose doctor?
    Where is he getting these “facts”?

Forget the media.
    What are you hearing from the CDC (when the White House isn’t overruling them for PR reasons). What are you hearing from WHO?

Take a look at the number of cases in Italy. The country is on lockdown, and they still had a 20% increase in cases in the past day.

The spread is only leveling off in countries where they have already taken serious action. That is not the case in countries where people still think it is “media hysteria”.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The thing is it`s just getting started. Some professionals are predicting well over half of people will get it. If death rate is 2% and half of 7 billion people get it, that could be 140,000,000 dead.

6. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    "For those under 50" should be in LARGE CAPS and is not that comforting to me being age 60 or my parents. How many young people have the money and buy season tickets compared to us older ones over 50?

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree with just about all you said except the hospitals/ER's out here in Sanctuary California are always running at 150% of capacity (flu season or not) since by law they cannot refuse service to ANYONE for any reason. The last big flu outbreak was horrendous with 12-16 hour waits just to register your vitals was not unusual. I haven't checked it out but I wonder if ERs right now are ghost towns like airports and Chinese restaurants since nobody wants to be near other sick people and an ER would be the last place I'd want to be hanging out right now since even if you had Corona, there's not much they could do for you in the way of remedies.

8. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    You nailed it. This is why. See YouTube, search "Dr. John Campbell." He gives daily updates and explains your last point on how important it is to slow the virus spread so we don`t overwhelm the hospitals. It is a scary thought that at the peak we could see people over 50 who just need some short term help to survive and they get told to go home because there are no beds and then they die from pneumonia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed.

This is not a "hoax" or playing politics. The concern is real. No. It's not time to panic or start building bunkers, FFS, but ANY plan is better than zero plan or sticking our heads in the sand because it's inconvenient.

We can't afford our health system to be so overrun that they can't supply quality care to those who need it (not just Covid-19 cases).

And sure, it's going to kill mostly older, or less healthy people. But do we just say "sucks to be you?" Is that how far we've fallen?

As with most novel viruses, this will peter out eventually. But until then, awareness and aggressive action is important.

That said, if this is as contagious as the flu (we don't know that yet), stopping it will be like trying to hold back the tide. Only a vaccine will stop it, or enough people with acquired immunity from having had it and recovering (assuming that happens. But it does for most viruses) will slow it's transmission rate greatly. Which is why trying to limit the spread is important. It's inevitable. All we can hope to do is slow it down enough so it doesn't overwhelm us.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't disagree with you Strummer but don't forget it was this same curious "media" who cried xenophobia when the first travel bans from China were announced, not based on facts or knowledge, but based on adversarial positioning (which I know, cuts both ways). As recent as this morning there was Federal legislation proposed that would ban "travel bans", not because it isn't warranted but because it sends the wrong message! There's a wide range of folks who will have to be looking in the mirror in due time. No matter how lively the debate gets, I think it's still the only healthy aspect of this whole mess - open discussion.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    B44BDD3E-E5CB-43E9-BAEF-8E6A82584501.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
  13. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    My view is somewhere in between. It's definitely more serious than the seasonal flu but doesn't warrant going out and cleaning out Costco of their toilet paper stock. It's important to slow the spread so it doesn't overwhelm hospitals. In the short term, large gatherings like sporting events will be cancelled but my bet is on things being back to mostly normal in the summer months. By next flu season, hopefully we have vaccines in place to add a layer of protection.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We don't know for sure that it is going to go dormant during the summer. That is a guess based on what we saw with other viruses. If it follows that model, however, it could come back even stronger in the fall.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Now why did you have to go and show me they make a Grand Mac. I’m trying to shed a couple pounds....:rolleyes:
    Now if only someone didn’t decide it was a bright idea to eat a Grand Bat sandwich....:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm pretty much feeling along the same lines, with a few deviations.

1) The only reason it is more serious than the flu is world-wide preparedness. The University of Tennessee already has the vaccine.

2) In healthy people, the recovery rate is shorter than the standard flu.

3) No one is saying "screw everyone else," but we have to worry about us first. Contain it in the states and then offer support for the rest of the world.

4) The majority of the media is MOST DEFINITELY agenda-driven. As stated before, this is an election year. And it is painfully obvious that the media couldn't reach the center of the aisle even with AB's ego.

Does Covid-19 pose a world-wide threat if not properly contained? Absolutely. Should measures be taken to contain it? Certainly. Should life stop because of the threat? No.

Wash hands (you should have been doing that pre-Covid-19). Don't touch your face with unwashed hands. Seek medical attention with flu symptoms that include shortness of breath. If you run out of toilet paper, subscribe to the NY Times. Threat neutralized.

• Like Like x 3
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I thought it was from a delicious Pangolin stew, who had been bitten by a delicious bat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I know most Pro Days are now being cancelled.

I have not heard anything on what their plans are for the actual draft.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The media is not one monolithic thing and the assertion that it is all driven by political agenda is not supported by facts. There are individuals or individual outlets that push agendas, bot to lump all media together in that way shows a lack of understanding of the business and how it works.

It is not only frustrating but dangerous to see so many people sticking their heads in the sand and refusing to acknowledge that this is a real issue.

Entire school districts are closing. The NBA suspended its season. The NHL will do it, too. The NCAA already announced it will not allow fans at its men's basketball tournament games and there is a very real chance they cancel entirely. Major League Baseball is about to suspend spring training and delay the start of the regular season. The list of closures continues to expand. People need to get past the ridiculous idea that this is a media creation. The media isn't driving those closures. Health professionals are. The experts are trying to tell us to do these things and the media is actually sharing that message rather than trying to stifle it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    OK - maybe time for some silver or other color linings:

1. Chance to see how towns, the Nation and the world react to a global crisis - bad but not as bad (hopefully) as other potential global scenarios.
    2. Chance to see what minimizing carbon footprints really looks like, not just for peons but for elites as well - no air travel, reduced trucking, industries slowing/shutting down, reduced commuting traffic, darkened stadium lights, people essentially staying home and eliminating discretionary travel. Won't stop cows from farting but that's another challenge for another day.
    3. Will finally get most folks tuned into emergency preparedness and hopefully to live more self-sufficient lives for a spell. While this has resulted in lots of hording, at last, most folks should now have a plethora of emergency supplies to tie them over for an array of disasters and situations.
    4. Family relationships may be strengthened without the guys burying themselves in their normal TV sports watching. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing - time will tell.
    5. Stock prices will be at attainable values and purchase rates when they hit bottom; meanwhile William Devane and anyone who's been listening to him for the last 5 years will be the richest folks on the planet with the way Gold has reacted to all this hubbub.
    6. Excellent time to purchase homes or refinance as the interest rates bottom out.
    7. No one seems to be following the mega locust plague that's been sweeping the African continent and wiping out massive amounts of crops.

That's all I have. Live long and prosper. :thumbs_up:

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Makes sense Batman and The Pangolin ....:hehehe:

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No. 7? Don’t worry someone will be eating them next ...

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Just checked and your stats are way off. The .1 on the flu is correct, according to the WHO the fatality rate for covid 19 APPEARS to be 2-3%, or 10 times that if the flu. So yes it is more deadly, but we really do not know for sure as data is far from complete. Those are only the known cases, it will take time to sort all of this stuff out. Precaution for sure, but like any other story the media go gaga over something to report, and this endless blather from unknowing 'experts' only leads to more panic.

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They are going to delay the season so the Pirates can’t loose 100 games.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Here we go again.

Take the words you are putting in my mouth and shove them up your ass. Since you are talking out of yours, there must be plenty of room. You aren't the definitive on anything, so stop pretending to be something you're not. The only lack of understanding around here is coming from you and your overwhelming propensity to attempt to bully others' opinions into submission.

And while you're preparing your whiny little rebuttal obviously rife with misguided logic that since you think I was wrong in the past about ANYTHING that I must be wrong in the present, just remember, we've heard it all before, ad nauseam.

You see, scribe, it's not your positions that put people off. It is your delivery. Consider your audience for once. That's your first step to becoming a better writer. Hey, you've got the grammar nazi commemorative badge already, so at least you know how to construct proper sentences. The next step is doing that while not being a douche at the same time.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1