1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will There Even Be an NFL Season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 12, 2020.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    NBA just halted season. Dang. Imagine no Steeler football for about a year and a half. Horrible.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I just started a similar thread under "Other Sports" but it needs to be here front and center on Page 1. Here's what I added over there:

Score Update: Corona Virus 86 - All Sporting Events 0

What in the Wide World of Sports is going on? I started talking about this matter several weeks ago and most tended to laugh it off - no big deal. Guess what - no matter how over-hyped it may all be in comparison to other mortality causes such as regular seasonal flu, opioid deaths, domestic accidents - this is now a really big f-ing deal! No NBA, soon no NHL, probably no NCAA hoops or MLB start or conclusion to the "exciting" XFL...and on and on and on. Even the NFL Draft is in jeopardy. I predict the murder rate will skyrocket because there will be no man cave escapes and all there will be to watch on the tube will be Lifetime Channel reruns and probably 24/7 Tom Hanks movie marathons. What a revolting development. I wish everyone well and hope for a quick and tidy conclusion, but this reminds me a lot of the Steven King creepy novel "The Stand".

• Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    upload_2020-3-12_7-21-10.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

There are a lot of people out there spewing bs about how the media doesn’t cover the mortality rate of influenza a and b(the flu) or whatever deadly event. The simple fact is that isn’t true. The media does cover this ****, but people are too stupid to pay attention. Those same people are blaming the media for causing fear and panic over covid-19. What happens if the media doesn’t cover it? The usual suspects will blame the media. It’s a damned if you do damned you don’t. Yes, the flu kills large numbers of people every year. It has a mortality rate of .1. The mortality rate of covid-19 is 20-30 times that of the flu. It is a big deal. You don’t quarantine an area that holds 60 million people for yucks and giggles. So post your stupid memes to Facebook and get caught with your pats down. Just remember to blame the man in the mirror if it gets ugly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The media has long lost their objective. Their job is to "report" news not create it. But our media sees themselves as celebrities and they have to get more pub than the next person.....and just like we follow celebrities and think they are special, we follow our media down the rat hole.

We lose thousands of veterans every year due to suicide, because of what they went through, and the media avoids that like the plague because it isn't glamorous.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Bull****. The media covers veteran suicides all the freaking time.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/veteran-suicide-rates-remain-high-despite-reform

https://www.google.com/search?q=nbc...j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...j35i304i39j0i13i5i30j0i7i30j30i10.OKq3n_zdJQ4

Those links should put an end to this round of the mantra of the ignorant

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    To pick a couple articles or videos doesn't begin to compare to the minute by minute coverage they give to Corona. That's like saying, I have dollars and you have dollars so we both have the same net worth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    there are hundreds of articles across every single news agency. You’re spewing bull****

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We can just agree to disagree:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No NFL season? People would STILL blame Tomlin!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Damn right!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    By September things may look much better. Right now, the NBA, NHL, NCAA, and MLB are all going to shut down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Problem is we only have until OTAs not September

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    or better yet you could educate yourself

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I am sure the panic and frenzy will be settled by then. My son in law is a doctor and he said it will kill the elderly and the weak just like the flu does but when it's on every TV station and plastered on the net ad nauseam, everyone will panic for a while. The sports leagues are probably just exercising due diligence because someone would get sick, say they were recently at a game and the media would crucify that league as if they had put a hit out on that person.

16. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Sure, I understand that. Team only events - no fans, no other teams, no/limited press, etc. - will likely be able to happen but certainly could be affected. I was referring to actual games.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  18. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    There certainly is a line somewhere between real threat and sensationalism. That said, it's obviously very serious and there's no reason to risk it. Best call is to stop things for a bit and see where we are. The NBA and NHL can play shortened playoffs in summer and things such as that. The market will bounce back. We'll all move on and figure it out. I do feel bad for graduating seniors and others who may miss once in a lifetime events this spring.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Steelers shut down would piss me off big time. As bad as the Pirates will be I'm not sure I'd notice.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t they shut down every year when the season starts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Some people are not seeing the forest for the trees.

Let’s forget for a second that this is 10x deadlier than flu, and can be contagious without symptoms, and that there is already vaccines for flu. (So they are not the same.)

Flu illnesses are spread out over a longer period of time. The serious cases can be handled by doctors and hospitals.

This illness is new, and the number of people getting infected is growing exponentially. If there are enough serious cases at the same time, the health care system gets overloaded. Otherwise treatable cases become life-threatening.

The reason this is getting so much attention is that taking action NOW is more important than doing it later. (With exponential growth, it needs to be limited as early as possible.)

If there were unlimited hospital beds and doctors, it wouldn’t be getting as much press, because it wouldn’t be as serious a threat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Suicides by veterans is reported as are flu outbreaks and deaths. There are big differences however when it comes to the coronavirus and other things. The first is that there is a flu vaccine and the second is that it takes a long time for mutations to occur and spread to pandemic levels. The last flu pandemic was 2009 and before that was 1968 and the one in 2009 was responded to fast. There was a vaccine for the H1N1 flu by November when it was first discovered in April. As was previously mentioned, the coronavirus has a much higher mortality rate than any flu including the Spanish flu of 1918. So it isn't hysteria, it is a threat and for me and other here with compromised immune systems, it was under reported until the last 2 weeks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Unless of course it's all media hype which appears to be the case. More than half the people who have contracted it have already recovered, but just like the flu, the elderly and weak struggle. It makes for good fodder and is probably related to the upcoming election process.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    At least Tomlin's non losing streak would continue.

• Like Like x 3
  25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think NFL is far enough away that it will be fine.

I hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1