1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest news on CBA agreement:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Feb 22, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    TV?

2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey BURGH43STEL.

I am 100% with you.

I do not know if you were either born yet or old enough to remember the 1976-77 Season. The Steelers had just won the Super Bowl and had started the season out with a 1-4 record. Then they went bonkers and ran off nine straight victories which included five shutouts and
    the given up of a meager total of just 28 points. Just Wow! That was a 14-Game season. More pressure, more excitement, and more at stake to make the competition downright fierce.

Eventually, the product will get watered-down. 17 games will lead to 18, then 19 then 20; well you get the pont. The number of teams making the playoffs will become like the NHL format where just about every team makes it to post-season play. And there you have your watered-down product folks.

Today's NFL has become so Commercialized and Hollywood that it really has driven a wedge between myself and the overall League. I will forever follow my beloved Steelers but the format of yester-year sure does appeal to me a lot more than today's brand of the game. Am I dinosaur? I do not think so. I just feel that the game has become so "center-staged" driven that a lot of the fun of it has been taken out.... at least for me.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I just got my ticket invoice. Apparently I pay part of the bills.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, the players would be replaced. They regularly are. That’s exactly the point.

The corn doesn’t make the farm. You can always buy a bag of corn seed. The farmer makes the farm.

08207190-9C4D-43ED-9462-94A0B09FB944.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Exactly. Who buys the goods from the companies that advertise on tv? My tv has no money the last time I checked. We the people pay the nfls bills, one way or another. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    When will the owners start posturing for a player tax hike from the cities & states they 'provide' a entertainment service for?

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    To me they are equally important. Can you replace players? Yes. It’s not so easy to replace the stars though and that what fans are tuning in to see. Owners can be replaced too , there is just another multi millionaire looking to get his hands in this money making machine. Why is it such a money maker? because fans want to see the best compete. It’s just as hard if not harder to find a franchise QB than a new owner in the league. Fans are coming out to see these guys play. When the team and the product are at their best that’s when fans show the most interest and that’s where the money comes from. They aren’t showing up to watch the owners in their luxury boxes. Put a crappy product on the field and you’ll be a owner of.crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think the point was that if the players ran the NFL, it would be a street brawl with guns and knives pretty quickly and the NFL would be dead (literally). The owners just battle for money.

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I think the AAF and the XFL would agree

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think your premise is correct but I think we fans are addicted to football rather than players. Even if we didn't have the amazing athletes we have today due to HGH and PED's, we fans would still pay whatever the owners want to charge.

The Browns have put a garbage product on the field for decades and their fans brag that they are the best fans because they still love them and go watch them.....stupid is as stupid does.:clapping:

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    There will still be a core fan base but you can’t tell me that fan interest wouldn’t clearly diminish over time with a lesser product. Just like @NY STEELERFAN said why do all these other leagues fail.? Some of it I get is over saturation but most of it is it’s because it’s a inferior product. I’m not trying to say it’s one side over the other. To me it goes hand in hand ,talent in the league equals success for the league and its owners. If you asked fans of other teams to name other teams owners they probably couldn’t get half right, probably much less. Ask a fan of other teams who the starting QB is for other teams and I bet they get more than 75%...

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think it would work something like this. If you took away the top 20% of the talent in the league it would reduce the owners payroll by 60% or more (take away every teams top ten paid players). Ticket prices would go down by 20%, concessions would go down by 20%, advertising money would go down by 20% and the net-net is that the owners would still make billions. Granted, they make 14 billion now and that would go down to 11 billion but it would all continue as is.

I think the reason the secondary leagues fail is because they don't have the fan loyalty that is instilled in us from birth with the NFL.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Who knows.? It’s just easier for me to watch and enjoy the talent that is on display and not try to figure out or worry about who is more important. It’s a circular argument....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Here is another point why did the NFL start the "flex schedule"? Well if I remember right it was because there was some pretty bad games a few years ago on Thursday night football and it was showing in the ratings. Bad product bad ratings........bad ratings lower tv money and I posted how much that was in the above link.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is part of it. Another part is people know that is a substandard product. They know the best players in the world aren't playing that game. The best players are in the NFL.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Look at college ball. They fill those stadiums, they have tv money, not all those players can move on to the NFL as stars. That's big business for colleges. People fill those venues every week. High schools fill stadiums. People will watch football. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    High schools (mostly) play in much smaller stadiums and they don't fill them everywhere. The big crowds in college ball are showing up for the best players at the college level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

every year there is going to be best players on any given team even in pop warner or flag football with second and third graders. Every year. People to go watch football. People pay money to watch it at every level. There may be empty seats at Steelers games at times but it doesn't mean those seats are not sold. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Without an owner of where you work, you wouldn't have a job either. If you're self employed, you are the owner and give yourself a job. Players are temporary employee's that come and go. With no disrespect intended, players are useful tools that are bought, paid, and traded. Owners are around for generations.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If the product is successful and marketable. There have been owners of defunct leagues that haven’t lasted too long owning anything. It’s a circular argument and just easier to say one hand washes the other...jmo

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a similar theory with old people and Medicare, but it would never get me elected.

23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Who generate the income to pay the bills

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And, this is the brainwashing of corporate. Because, the players are not of one mind ... to demand, what they want. You have your uneducated, your sellouts, your selfish, your fearful, your militants, your go along with the program and your few ... that understand the power that they possess. But, the mass, are not willing to protest ... lose a little to gain a lot. Ceo's, owners, etc ... would be nowhere without their employees.The problem is ... we will always have sellouts ... that are willing to do it for cheaper.

25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Heck your commish and owners commit crimes season and get away with it. They just wait for the next player to get into trouble and divert the attention ... lol