1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy 70th Birthday Franco!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Mar 7, 2020.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Franco Harris is one of my top 5 all-time Steelers. As a kid, 48 years ago, Franco quickly became my favorite Steeler, even before the Immaculate Reception. Back then, living in the St. Louis area, the TV media was Monday night highlights with Howard Cosell and NFL Films. The print media was Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News, if I wanted to know anything about the Steelers; plus football cards, and Terry Bradshaw's autobiography, "No Easy Game."

My top Steelers of all-time:
    1. Franco
    2. Joe Greene
    3. Jack Ham
    4. Jack Lambert
    5. Terry Bradshaw (in the Super Bowls)
    6. Troy Polamalu
    7. L.C. Greenwood (the 70s d-line still doesn't get the acknowledgement it deserves).
    8. Swann and Stallworth
    9. Mike Webster (trap-22)
    10. Ben Roethlisberger (yes, he has had his issues)

The next Steelers QB needs to have some issues, with a great arm.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I was very young in the seventies but Franco keeps moving up my favorite list the more I learn how much he did for C. Noll in the early years. Happy Bday Franco.

My list of favorite Steelers in order:
    1. Lambert
    2. Big Ben (the eighties & nineties were rough for me)
    3. Troy
    4. Ham
    5. Franco
    6. Mean Joe
    7. Mel Blount
    8. Swann
    9. Hines
    10. Stallworth
    11. Woodson (I hold the Ravens against him)
    12. Greg Lloyd
    13. Bradshaw
    14. Big Snack
    15. Oh so many more A. Russell, Heath, Dawson, Kreider, Bell, Farrior, Kirkland, Ernie Holmes, Rocky, Grossman, Lipps, I could go on & on.

AB use to be in the top ten...then he railroaded the entire franchise.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Happy b-day big guy. I loved em all over the years. Yes the 70s was a great time to be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Think the Patriots on steroids. Oh wait. :huh::smiley1::cool:

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Happy Day Big Guy! Just realized that Franco and I went to different Kindergartens together. Funny, he forgot to send me a card 3 weeks ago. Must have been busy polishing all those rings and trophies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Happy belated bday Mojave.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Really hard to place a face behind Franco for me, as I appreciate so many. The reason Franco is my fave comes down to his rookie season. During the 60's we only got one channel and the AFL was always on. The Raiders were always on and Fred Belitnikoff was from Erie, so of course I had to have a Raider helmet. We finally got cable and of course Steeler football. Franco's rookie year was electric with the I. reception just pudding on the cake. The enemy helmet got buried and have never looked back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't like admitting this...:icon e confused:...but I started out as a Raiders fan, the cool helmets fascinated me at 7-8 years of age. After watching the playoffs for a few years, Lambert, Swann, Blount won me over.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Now there is a winner and a good community man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mytake.

Thanks to Franco and the Immaculate Reception game, I can attest to that moment in time is when I became an official Steeler's fan. I was living in Connecticut at the time and came inside from playing football as a kid. I turned on the TV right before the play transpired. After that, I became a Steeler fan for life. Prior to that, I had no allegiance to any team. In my neighborhood, most folks were either Jets or Giants fans. I was always an outlier. To this day, I am a diehard Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, and at that time, a Bullets fan (now Wizards).

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid