1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers unlikely to pick up Vance McDonald's 2020 option unless he restructures?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Feb 21, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That is fine but you are missing the point, if you take Vance out of the mix who do you replace him with? If you replace him with Vannett then who blocks, we have no clue if Gentry is ready and like what was pointed out in this thread the Steelers had no confidence in Gentry they went out to trade for Vannett. Who's left Radar we have zero knowledge of him but since Gentry wasn't ready last year what makes you think Radar will be ready?

Look around the league rookies are playing more and more. They are getting NFL ready at the college level so for a guy to get drafted and not be ready to help the team you have to think about an upgrade. If you are keeping Vance and Gentry isn't ready for next season then what? Are you saying sign Vannett long term and he is Vance's replacement in 21? Me personally don't like that but I would understand it. :smiley1:

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I believe Vannett could be as good as Vance in blocking and receiving. If we can sign him long term all the better, he is a fraction of the cost long term for a guy that is on the field when needed. I watched him play ever week at Ohio state and saw what he was capable of doing in the pros but highly under used in that capacity. It doesn't mean he can't do it. Last year here is no measuring stick with all that was going on. He is however a solid TE, hands catcher, tough, big kid that can get the job done. He's not a flashy out run the secondary type of TE, but very capable.

As for gentry, they didn't just draft him to use up that draft spot. He has already talked about working on his body this off season to fill the role here. That's a plus. He was a rookie. We had an offense in a mess last year. Year two and a franchise qb will make a huge difference in either of these two guys games.

Rader, I don't know where he will fit if at all, but they have talked about his blocking ability. He can catch contrary to some belief. He has also been around our program for a couple of years now going into this season. Players do evolve from rookies.

I'd love to keep Vance but for now long and what cost when money is tight. We have options. I have thrown out some options we have and also talked about draft options. One is a late round guy in ellefson from North Dakota state that could fit two roles and eliminate even more money for the team. You would be bringing in rookies though. Depends how they feel about the situation. That's where a guy like Vannett would bridge the gap for much less money and be on the field when needed to do much the same as an oft injured, year to year player. :cool:

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There really isn't much evidence to support the idea that Vannett could be as good as McDonald as a receiver or as a blocker. He struggled in both areas in 2019. Of course, the entire offense was a mess, but he has never shown that much as a receiver. He played in 15 games and started nine of them for the Seahawks in 2018 and still only caught 29 passes for 269 yards with Russell Wilson throwing the ball.

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess I look at it a whole lot different than you and that is fine, I just don't see Vannett as good as Vance and I do not want to keep all 3 of Vance, Vannett and Gentry. I love this class in the draft and I think there are many guys in this draft that offers as much as Vannett. I also am not confident in Gentry taking that next step but am willing to keep him around to see. I get it players develop but let's face it guys don't go from practice squad to starters all the time. jmo

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We have had more then our fair share of those guys over the years and many that may not start but play significant roles. :cool:

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Really who? I mean we all know the Harrison story but who has been on our practice squad that has been significant contributors? Finney is one I can think of but who else?

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Duck was for a wee-bit last year.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

A very wee bit........lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Feiler, AV, trey edmunds, eli, cain, hilton, duck, grimble, banner, kelly, harrison, walton, redman, nix, hoten, to name a few. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

First of all and most important how the heck did I not remember AV......was it really that late and I was in that much of a fog, lol.......:facepalm:

I will give you AV, Hilton, Nix and Feiler that is it as far as significant contributors. jmo The rest are spot starters or guys who could hold the job down cause they weren't good enough to be the starter which is what we are talking about here right....players who can take the next step????? :smiley1:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    All those guys contributed at some point. You never said ps to starters. Many guys play roles on a team. Holten was a gunner all year on coverage teams. Pretty important job. Kelly was getting playing time when we went 3 safeties until he got in trouble. Walton was in the rotation up until cut, then brought back. Eli played a lot for a couple of years. Grimble was our 2nd te until injured. Banner played in every game last year. Redman at one time entered the year as the starter. Cain may see plenty of time this coming year. Edmunds played a good bit this year. Duck started 5-6 games. So yea, they all contributed.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac I sure did look:

I am not doubting the guys you listed had roles on this team but what we were talking about was the bigger picture. Going from PS to a starter don't happen a lot but we do find they here. I think our signals were crossed on this . :smiley1:

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    How long has practice squads been around? Were they called something else before the cba classified them? On to research...

Edit: been around since 1940 (as taxi cab employees). Went from no limit to limited # of players in the seventies. Wikipedia has an article on it.
    Sorry NY, i thought it might be relevant to not many taking the jump but was shot down, carry on.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ok I'm sorry, you did say starter. We have had a few. We also have a lot of guys as udfa that become starters. There was a write up on this a couple of years ago. The Steelers use the PS as more of a development area then most teams and less as just emergency players in case of injury. I believe that was the jist of the story. We saw how they transformed A/V and Feiler body's to fit a need. Of course we had a really good coach there too. It seems like they have always taken less and made more out of it then most teams. Maybe I'm biased. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No problem at all Mac, and yes we have been better than most at development imo and like you I may be biased as well lol. The thing is while I see the point you are making you have to admit it don't happen enough to pin our hopes on it. The AV's and JAMES HARRISON'S don't come around everyday. As much as I want to root for these guys I just am not ready to commit yet lol.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think with a new QB coach that I respect. Oh by the way
    he can be/should be our OC he has plays and knows how to operate
    an offense that the TE position will actually get thrown to So I look
    for tremendous production over last year from our TE department.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I know how you feel about it. You and Schlereth view it the same, he absolutely hates it :lolol:

Since I don’t watch much college, I use the Combine to find players who stand out to me. Then I’ll go watch film on that player, formulate my own opinion and then match it up against what the profiles of that player say.

It really doesn’t eliminate any players for me but if there is a player who’s film I like and also has great numbers in the tests that matter, that bumps them up for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That right there Blast is a good way to view it, I don't hate the combine I just don't like when people use the combine numbers as a deciding factor on where to rank a player. I personally think the combine is great for a lot of things and the way you use it is a prime example. You are one of the few, just sit here and read posts from people and they are passing on a guy or dropping a guy cause of a 40 time......come on.

There are some good things that the combine does, I love the 3 cone for example. That shows imo players ability to cut and break as appose to a 40 time that shows pure straight line speed, however the splits are what I like when it comes to that. Like I said there is good stuff but when you use it as a deciding tool like many do including the talking heads it makes me laugh. jmo

• Like Like x 1
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hawaii 5-0.

I know that is not always reliable health-wise. However, last year was a disaster for our TEs and their underutilization. Just disgusting as I say around here. I like McDonald big time. We need to keep him. He is a great fit for our team and extremely talented. The Steelers will hopefully find a way to keep him. Take care Hawaii.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Austin Hooper says he's 'definitely leaning Cleveland'

ESPN

Austin Hooper is close to a deal with the Cleveland Browns that will make him the NFL's highest-paid tight end, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Hooper told ESPN's Adam Schefter that he is "definitely leaning Cleveland."

"Unless something comes up unexpected, then no question Cleveland is the leader," Hooper told Schefter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28911369/austin-hooper-says-definitely-leaning-cleveland

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That is a man who wants nothing more than money, otherwise why go to Cleveland. I cant think of any better way to kill a career than going there but he highest paid TE for a year is a good title, something to hang a hat on.

22. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
  23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yes, I really hope Ben is sincerely hanging around to get another ring or two. I think he is in part because he is a true competitor. If I had to guess, financially he is set. He was smart enough to turn his life around after being on the "Brink" of being evicted from the league. Given that, I would bet that financially he is savvy enough to have him and his family set for life given this current moment in time. Although the Stock market has sucked big time lately. However, I would bet that he has some or one of the best financial advisor(s) that money can afford and he is probably set there. So, if he is ok monetarily wise, then what is left? To play for the passion of the game as what true competitors do. We have seen life without Ben this past season and it was not pretty. That is not to say that one of our three current QBs cannot break away from the pack and finally have that light go on. However, for now, Ben is by far our best QB and chance to get another ring or two.

I personally think we have a very good assortment of skilled-position players on "O". Conner, if he can stay healthy I like. The skills of Whyte and Edmunds at RB as well. The Formidable #2s as I call them at WR are all very good but need to be healthy at the same time and line up in 3-Sets at the same time. If that can happen, they will be very competitive. They are all very good IMO and each has a different skill-set that they have showcased enough for me to believe we will be ok at WR. Vance is awesome and Vannett is a good compliment to him. All of these "O" players are young and tested.

The "D" well there is nothing to say negatively for the most part. They are stellar and will only get better. Get me my Casey 2.0 though and someone help Edmunds find the light switch please. Otherwise, we are pretty much set on "D". I was watching some 1990s Steelers' highlights. Our secondary was Lake, Woodson, Perry, and I cannot remember the other starter. However, they were good under Cowher. We currently have Haden, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, and Edmunds (the weak link). Even given Edmunds we are good. We seem to have every spot on the "D" covered except for Edmunds. We better with all of those #1 picks.

We really are just a QB away from being top tier. However, as you know the QB is the main Cog of the machine. We need Ben back now and healthy. Time is never on one's side with Free Agency and age. Get a healthy Ben back and I say....Watch Out! Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid