1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Ebron

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Mar 5, 2020.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Sign him, sign everybody!

Now that I got that out of the way, why not?

Ebron was playing at a Pro Bowl level with Luck on the field in 2018. His numbers dipped with Brissett last year. If Ben is healthy I think Ebron could put big numbers up and be a clear upgrade over Vannett and Vance.

I was just looking through the FA list to see if there was anyone who made sense, and Ebron makes sense to me. He is young enough to lock the position down for the next 4 or 5 years and good enough to be an upgrade. Most sites have him rated as the 3rd best TE in FA behind Hooper and Henry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    What kind of contract would he want?

Apart from that, I’d have no objection to this.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sure all we have to do is petition the league to make Primanti Bro’s sandwiches a form of currency and we can sign anyone we want...:hehehe:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm warning you Deal, one day you're going to eat your words. :rules:

;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    First off, I have been petitioning to make Primanti Bro's sandwiches a form of currency for years. Or wait...is that using all my currency on Primanti Bro's sandwiches. :lolol:

I am going to guess that Eric Ebron is not going to break any teams bank in FA this year, even the Steelers. He might not cost that much more than Vance.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't going to sign any big name free agents, they will re-sign their own, and maybe 1 or 2 veterans on the cheap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s what usually ends up happening anyway....so at least these will taste better.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably won’t break any teams bank but currently we owe the bank money...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It's not like this is the first time the Steelers have been up against the cap. Moves will be made in order for the Steelers to sign their draft picks and add a inexpensive Free Agent or two. Signing Ebron eliminates the need to draft a TE, and also eliminates the need to overpay Vance Macdonald.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    After the Minkah move, I guess anything is possible. Seems like a fire is lit under upper management`s butts.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They’re 2mil. in the hole. What’s your take on Dupree? That’s 17 mil. How do you feel about Feiler, Finney and Hilton? That’s another 12-17 mil. You think Ebron is coming cheaper than Vance.? I don’t see it and if he does it won’t be by much. Their best bet is to let Vance try and get a deal somewhere else and see if it’s worth matching and hoping demand is low and he comes back on a lesser deal....jmo

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Personally I would let Dupree walk. I hate to see it coming off the best season of his career. But I'm just not sure we can afford to keep Bud and still make improvements to the offense that clearly need to be made. I think the combination of Chic and Ola can fill that role, and depth can be added through the draft. I wouldn't say Ebron will come cheaper than Vance, but I am guessing he will end up costing around the same, slightly higher perhaps. It's worth it to upgrade the position IMO. I'm also assuming that after the CBA is done the cap will go up and there will be more money to work with, even before the Steelers start restructuring players.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ebron is less skilled as a blocker, more of a threat as a receiver but just as injury prone as Vance so besides a slight saving between the two not sure trading one for the other accomplishes anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know about just as injury prone - he's at least had two full seasons, which Vance is yet to manage. It will be interesting to see if Indy try and re-sign him coming off the ankle injury, though.

On a separate note, I've had an idea about cap space. We should start introducing sub-contracting. Give Ben a massive contract, then he has to hire his receivers and TEs out of that. The only snag would be, if Ben retired, we'd lose all of them under his contract as well...

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Truth. Can't remember when they have had a surplus. Now more restructures are probably on the way, signing Heyward(and those who think he will take less :lolol:) yet want this cap strapped team to sign a one year wonder for 16.5. Maybe a sign and trade? He would fetch a 1st and another pick to some team enamored with his 2019 effort. Other teams GM's flunkies "Hey boss, do we want to view Alvins first 4 years? No, I've seen enough with that 2019 tape, lets make that trade....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    NO NO NO........ First off he signed a 2 year deal worth 15m in 2018 and had a cap hit of 7m last season. Speaking of last season he played in only 11 games after coming off back to back years playing all 16......not worth the risk. Second in a weak TE FA class and Olsen just signing for 7 mil Ebron will get just as much if not more. We already have Vance here and yeah he will cost 7.127m and if we don't pick up his option he will cost us 1.455m so add that to signing Ebron.

We can Keep Vance and restructure his contract this year turning Bonus into salary and making this years cap number 2.352m lower. No sense in trying to replace Vance when there isn't a better option for us both on the field and in our cap. jmo

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t McDonald basically on a year by year contract for this year and a option for next year? There are already people willing to cut him loose this year. Why would guaranteeing him more money past this season be a wise move? IMO he either agrees to a pay cut, we cut our losses now or we suck it up and pay his salary for this year. The restructuring is only guaranteeing him more money. I’ve always read that it is best to restructure guys with a few years left on their current deals and ones that factor into the long term plans? I’m not sure VM fits into either of those categories.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is the way I understand it and if it is wrong I guess people can stone me. Vance has an option for this year and next year. If we don't pick up the option we are on the hook for his PRO RATED AND PER GAME BONUS the next 2 years which is 2.95m(1.4 each year). So what I am saying is if we restructure we are on the hook for that anyways. What that does is just give us cap room now.

My point is we are gonna pay 1.455m now AND whatever it will cost to sign Ebron, Might just as well keep Vance and send a little money down the road and it ends up being pretty close tot he same thing.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree they should just keep Vance rather than Ebron. See if he would take a pay cut or decide whether he’s worth the money for this year. Give him another year with Ben. There’s risk involved with both. With the way the offense struggled last year it looks like they can use all the help they can get and the familiarity they have with each other is a big help especially not knowing how much practice time Ben is going to get. Revisit the VM situation again next year. I don’t want to be on the hook for any of his salary in the future especially when he may not have one here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Wouldn’t mind having Eric Ebron as an additional redzone weapon for Ben but like others I just don’t see it with their cap situation.

21. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Chick filling any role, would be a huge mistake. I'm hoping he's released.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not a fan of Chick- fil- A....:hehehe:

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He certainly won’t be staying on his current deal. They might try to renegotiate his contract and keep him as a depth /rotational player. Can’t see anybody giving him a significant offer in FA, although the Pats were apparently interested last season

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree, and add to that maybe the Steelers rework his contract and do a 2-3 year deal. Why would Vance do that well right now he is going year to year he would give up a little money for stabilization. Also as for being on the hook for his money to late we are on the hook for 727k the next 2 years no matter what. If we don't pick up his option this year it will cost us 1.455k and if we wait until next year and we don't pick up his option it will cost us 727k then.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Good thought on less money for more years depending of course on how much. If not I would just take it year by year. I want to make it as little of a financial burden down the road as we can. The easier to cut bait the better...imo

• Agree Agree x 1