1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers unlikely to pick up Vance McDonald's 2020 option unless he restructures?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Vannett kinda let me down last year with his blocking. I thought he would be better than he showed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah and he made 764k last year and will be looking for a raise, no TY if we keep Vance.

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think he'd be too much as people will want to overpay for an often injured player, which is my only gripe on him

Would love to see him in the Burgh, but damn the dude's never on the field.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I unfortunately have not been impressed by Vannett at all, which was a bit surprising as I recalled him being a solid player in Seattle. Maybe they just didn't use him right I don't know.

I don't think depending on a rookie is going to be wise; however, as Ben does like the TE as an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nobody on offense impressed last year right? We have to go back 2 years with Ben in there and look at Vance's numbers and see that in this market you are not going to find production like that at that price unless they are on a rookie contract. The think about Vance is if we pick his option up we are only in a this year deal with him as he has an option next year as well.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Might have little choice. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I like Vance hence my pic, but I'm a bit skeptical. I guess I have to see what type of money he's looking for. Because he has been a solid player when healthy, I have a feeling someone will be paying him more than the steelers could give.

Can't go into next year with Gentry, rookie, and rookie on the depth chart

• Like Like x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree and I am one of the few that likes this draft class a lot. I feel we draft one here this year and thy way we have him and Gentry as replacements next year. When healthy Vance is good but health is a problem lol.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think Vannett played bad at all for what he walked into. he's not expensive even if we near double his salary. 1.5 mil. We pay mccullers that much. Vannett had the highest yards per catch rate of any te on the team. I'd like to see what he could do with ben for the money. He was good for Carlos Hyde and zeke elliott. He can block and catch. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    That's why I think they keep Vanimal. Didn't the Outlaw start as a rookie? I can't remember. I'm sure Ben could use Gentry as a target but I haven't seen his blocking yet if he can block at all. Not sold on his bird legs in the trenches.

11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    See, This is one of those misconseptions where, If enough people keep saying it, It's held as truth...McDonald IS injury prone but, He has only missed 3 games the last 2 years...Hardly, NEVER on the field though is a stretch

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't think he was bad but how do you judge anyone on offense last year right? Just because we pay McCullers doesn't mean we have to pay everyone. Big Dan is a joke and a waste of money, however not much we can do about it. 1.5m is not a lot however we are talking about out 3rd stringer and when you can find his replacement for 450k and you are up against the cap so bad every mil counts. jmo

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers traded for somebody to fill in at tight end during the season. That certainly seems to speak volumes about Gentry. At best, he simply wasn't ready to be out there for more than a few plays. Maybe he can work his way into the no. 2 job this year, but counting on him for any more than that would be foolish.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Who is the 3rd stringer? :cool:

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. Even doubling his salary you’re getting a good deal for a 2nd string TE especially when he’s one play away from being 1st string and no one else has that ability right now on the roster. You also have to factor in we spent a 5th to get him. Obviously it’s good to save money where you can but to expect Gentry or a draft pick or a UDFA to be able to step into never mind the 1st string but even the second is being extremely optimistic.
    Also depending on how we handle our OL situation in FA we may not have the luxury of using Banner as a extra blocker when he can very well be our starting RT. So a blocking TE may be more important this year than last. Gentry isn’t it and doubtful a draft pick would be either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. I never pay attention to the claims that it is a weak draft at X position anymore. Players always emerge during the draft process. I like Trautman so far. I’m way behind this year, I didnt even watch the Combine yet, that usually kicks my evaluation process off.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Vannett looked bad out there blocking imo. Missed assignments, missed blocks had me yearning for Jesse James which isn't saying much in the blocking department. Maybe it was the new system but I wouldn't mind finding someone better in the draft. I know it takes a few years for a te to get up to speed usually, but I think there are cheaper options out there that can fill Vannett's shoes based on his performance last year.

Edit:
    T. Kelce third rounder
    G. Kittle fifth rounder
    This draft could have one

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Vannett

Edit: So after looking into Vance's stats I see how much Vannett was on the field so I retract my statement about 3rd stringer. However I am still not willing to pay him double to be a blocking TE, I will roll the dice on a rookie. :smiley1:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Hey man been awhile since we chatted, I get a kick out of some of these guys and their predictions. For example when the first draft stuff started coming out many had Jordan Love as a 6th round pick. Then as we get closer he moved to a 3rd and now there are people saying he is a 1st rounder and could go before Herbert. What happened from the end of the season to now.... Senior Bowl, Shrine game or the combine??? I am pretty sure teams big boards are not based on them but I bet game film had a lot to do with it. Also many say this years WR class is one of the best ever, I personally think last year WR class was awesome.

PS

Don't waste your time on the Combine, jmo

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

JMO this draft could have more than one.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You know you made me go look his stats up and I am amazed at what I found. First off he was 6th on the offensive side of the ball in snap counts. He also lead all skill positions in snap counts. Another thing that caught my eyes was there were 10 games he went without a catch and in them 10 games he was only targeted in one game ONE TIME. Hard to make noise when you aren't getting a look at......if someone has Fitchner's email could you send him a message and tell him there was 9 games that they didn't even target Vance. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    How Fitchner was retained ( we do know why ) But quality of QB or not, He is beyond horrible

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That is the whole part of keeping him that has me scratching my head. When you lose your QB and add in other injuries you do expect a fall off but IMO it is up to the OC to help pick up the slack. Some here point out how good Fitch has done in the past which shows he can do it, but why didn't he? I just did a quick search just to show how little we used Vance. I have always been told the TE is a young QB's best friend so why when you lose your starting QB wouldn't you make sure your young guys use their safety blankets? One game fine I get it but we were talking 13.5 games we struggled...........I don't get it.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's not just a blocking TE. :cool:

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012