1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cap Space

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bouben17, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Bouben17

Bouben17 Member

Feb 14, 2017
    What do you Guys think, how will we handle the low Cap Space? (~1'500'000$)

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    First off, welcome aboard. Your question is one that I would think all here would like to know as well. Some restructuring, releasing of players, tagging of other players, CBA approval by the players, all these will come into play and probably other things I haven't listed. This team really never has a large bank vault of discretionary cap money and they seem to patch what they have together somehow. That is what I anticipate will happen but not sure the specifics. In other words, who is Hades knows?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Welcome. They will take the field one way or another. Money or not. With who is anyone's guess at this point. Hehe health is what will determine many things they do. :cool:

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They are probably waiting for the outcome of the CBA before making any moves, the Cap could increase fairly significantly depending on when and what deal is done.

As above, a mix of cuts and restructuring could probably clear a lot of room. I think that ideally they would like to keep Dupree, Hilton and Feiler at a minimum, and sign 1-2 free agents on offence.

If they can squeeze Finney and Hargrave in too then great but I think that pair are as good as gone. Hargrave will get very well paid somewhere I think, and good luck to him.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cut Barron, Chickillo, Foster, give Heyward a contract extension.

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Unrelated to your question but out of curiosity, did you mean to go with "Bourbon 17" in your screen name by blending in "Ben" at the end but forgetting the 'R". Doesn't really matter but I kind of like the name "Bourben" as many in the Watercooler Forum would attest to! :drinks:

7. Bouben17

Bouben17 Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Hehehe no it really is meant Bouben^^ Was a Nickname of mine in preschool :) My real Name is Robin ;)

8. Bouben17

Bouben17 Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Thanks y'all for your Oppinions.
    Yeah i can understand if they wait till the new CBA Agreement.
    But i like what "steelersrule6" brought up, i see also cutting Barron and/or Chickillo.
    Franchise Tag on Dupree, and maybe restructure Ben's Contract?!?

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Restructure Ben? And have a Lamar Woodley situation? He has a monster contract and we don't even know if he will make it through the year. If he can get back to form, restructure him next season and add another year, which would still be a cap killer.

I have been on the record that paying Dupree 16.5 would be a mistake.

And we are so pressed against the cap letting players go just to sign the draft class and extending Cam Heyward. Would rather see Hargrave signed, might be able to do a 4 to 5 at 8 or 9 mill. That would be my hope. But again, where does the money come from?

And Barron came on at the end of the season, only has been here for one year. You want Vince Williams going into coverage? You keep him for another season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The only problem with that is how much and how long for Cam? He turns 31 this year, still playing great, but the drop off at that age can come very quickly.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Probably a 4 year extension to help out with the cap, if he falls off in year 3 or 4 you cut him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Hargrave signs for anything thing less than 11-12 million a year, when Tuitt comes back Hargrave only will play about 40% of the snaps, you can't pay him that type of money for a low % of snaps.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Throw Tuitt out there as trade bait next year & give the left side to Hargrave in week 6. Limited Tuitt's snaps so he doesn't snap anything. :shrug:
    TJ agrees based on last season.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why is the franchise tag for Dupree a mistake? It also allows us to keep him and not have to sign him to a long term deal. This eases the risk by allowing us another year for him to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. It likely helps Dupree in a sense too since he gets a big one year pay for his monster year last year, and allows him the opportunity to sign for huge bucks if he can put two consecutive years together... It also buys the Steelers another year to find his replacement if we dont have plans for him after 2020. To me its a no brainer. Why get rid of him and hope we can get someone in FA to fill the void (super risky), or draft someone that we hope can be ready day 1 (riskier). OLB isnt a deep position for us. I dont think we can afford to let him walk.

15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Sportrac has is market value at 73.6 million and 14.5 million a year. That is just pure speculation and could go higher if it gets to a bidding war, or of course go down to your projection, either way the Steelers just do not have the cash to make him an offer with the money they have in Tuitt and need to invest in Cam.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He got monster pay for last year. He went from 2 to 9. Now he needs 8.5 more to see if it was real? All the while TJ does it for 2. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Next year, cam and watt and juju looming. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Something I was thinking yesterday. If the new CBA is approved it creates more Cap space this year, but teams with huge amounts already will even have more to spend. With that much money flowing and some owners that just cannot help themselves, the market price for key players might go through the roof. This has happened in the past and eventually it settles, but will be interesting to see just how the owners respond when FA opens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’ve read it’s about 8mil more for this year,so.not Earth shattering. I’m not sure of following seasons. What I didn’t realize was that Banner is also a RFA as well. That would make Finney, Feiler and Banner 3 guys we really need to retain. If we are cutting Foster we need a LG. If we are moving Feiler to LG we need a RT. Banner and Chuks are supposed to battle it out there. The OL really is a area of concern with our RFA situation. Hilton is another one I feel is in our best interest to hold on to. A new CBA would alleviate most of these problems because without the 30% rule we have more flexibility. Without a new CBA in place I can’t see a scenario where we bring Dupree back without losing at least 3 out of 4 of those guys. Some of the cuts people have been anticipating don’t look so obvious now. Barron and McDonald being 2 of them. We’ll certainly know more in the next 2 weeks....

21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I have heard so many different Cap increase speculations I guess we will just have to wait and see. One of the problems with all the RFA's is the tender they decide to use. An original tender on Hilton gets the Steeler's no compensation if they cannot match an opposing teams offer. I would argue that both Feiler and Hilton are worthy of a 2nd round tender. While costing more, there is a time you have to recoup at least some of your investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Of the three, pay Watt. Assuming he wins DPOY in 2020, there will be no other option at that point. The EDGE market will have to be reset.

T.J. Watt will have all the leverage imaginable. No way he takes a discount.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Part of the trouble with the RFA is those are one year deals, so next year we will have gone of guys to sign. Cam, watts money goes way up, dupree gone if he's tagged, juju, hilton, feiler, banner, conner, sutton, alualu, McDonald's option again if kept, we have very few signed out of the 53. There won't be that kind of money floating around.:cool:

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Give Heyward a extension, and restructure Tuitt and Decastro along with some players being cut would create enough cap space.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Why Tuitt? Let's Talk about the glass money hole.

Is it economical to trade him & keep Hargrave? What round could we get for him?