1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you want backing up Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Move up/trade to get a stud to replace or learn under him for 1 -2 years?

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Move up/trade to get a solid veteran backup?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Stick with our illustrious threesome we currently have backing him up?

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I think the key here is Bud, this has been discussed in many threads and there are options out there besides Bud. I totally agree with you I do not know what the market will be for MM but I feel the market is loaded with FA QB's and guys in the draft that may start day one. That imo will leave MM the odd man out and maybe looking for a Bridgewater type deal and why not us? We should not mortgage the future especially with Ben being so close to the end we need every pick from here on out.

2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I wish.........:drinks:

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I get it completely but just like you said....it doesn’t work every time and what happened last year with MR is no guarantee it happens again either. You act like we’ve been trying MR for years and it hasn’t worked. One year hardly proves it doesn’t work. Why is it so hard to believe that he has just as much of a chance improving in his 3rd year as a complete stranger to our system does? He has shown progress every year so there’s no reason to think he can’t continue to get better. MM is a career.500 QB with more of a opportunity to show he is capable of more. He hasn’t,he’s a .500QB. Yeah he could do better coming here but so can MR. You guys destroying him are basing it on one year where he was thrown out of a plane with no parachute. I know you think the money is there for whatever they want to do but ask yourself this... if all these cuts, restructures and extensions are so easy and beneficial....what would stop them from doing it? If things seem too good to be true...it’s because they usually are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I disagree with all this first why do I think Mason will not improve because like I said some of the things he did. He played like Tim Tebow without the running, he missed wide open guys in the flat not once several times. He won't move in the pocket so he will keep getting beat like a pinata. I am not destroying him I am simply making a decision based on him performance. What do we have to go on with him, preseason that don't mean a whole heck of a lot right?

Next as far as money goes it is cut and dry cut Barron, Chick, Foster and McCullers saves 15.75 right off the bat. So say we reinvest half that due to replacements that is 7-8 mil space. Add to that restructures to Ben say 5m, Tuitt 4m, DD 3m for a savings of 12m. Extensions for Cam 6.8 and Haden 4.7 for another 11.5m and there we just freed up 31.5 mil. What would stop them IDK maybe they are working on it with these guys and will report it at the start of the new year. One thing I heard on the radio the other day was Bill Pollan said everyone in the organization except the coaching staff sits down right after Thanksgiving and puts a plan in for next year. He said before the season ends the teams know who they are keeping and who they are cutting. He also said just because we don't hear anything don't mean they aren't doing anything. And last he said the team is not gonna tell the public what their plan is which makes a ton of sense. For example if the Steelers plan to tag Bud and they make it public then other teams know what to do or not to do as far as FA and draft. The next week is going to be interesting to say the least.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And I bet those other teams have a lot more cap space than the Steelers, to sign Mariota.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They just gave Haden a 3 year extension last year, and I don't think they want to kick that can down the road in restructuring Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You know what we’ll see. Some of the restructuring makes no sense financially but we’ll see. I’f it’s feasible they’ll do it and if they don’t it will be because it’s not and not because they just didn’t feel like it. As far as Dupree they are makings it quite clear they will either tag him or sign him long term. They’ve been saying he’s a priority since day 1 I don’t know how they can make it any more clear. I’d say that’s tipping their hand.

As far as MR your willing to make a complete assessment of his potential based on 8 games and I’m not thats the difference there....Meanwhile MM is .500 in approximately 60 starts. So I don’t know where the confidence comes from there ?

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Who doesn’t....oh Minnesota that’s about it...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    2 year extension, As for Ben the can is already kicked buy giving him an extension. Ben has a cap hit of 33.5 this year and 31.5 next, what is 5 mil added to next year while helping this year?

Here is where I get my numbers from, I don't make this up I just read what these guy report:

https://overthecap.com/transactions-table/

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yes I am willing to make that assessment on MR after them few games. This is the NFL which means if you don't produce........Not For Long will you have a job. The confidence I get with MM isn't much however like I stated several time I like the experience he has and the mobility he brings. I am not looking to bring him here as a starter so I look at it like he is in a limited role.

Guys go to different teams all the time, some work out some don't. Take Batch as an example if I recall he was pretty bad as a starter in the end but he was a darn good back up for us......Maddox $hit man he was in the XFL right? Do I know MM would be good if here no I don't all I am saying is what I would do who I would want, especially with what I seen from Mason last year.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Batch went 6-3 with 9 career starts here from 2005-2012. I’d say we had some pretty good teams those years . A helluva lot better than what MR had to deal with and he went 5-3.....

Edit: 12TDs and 12INTs and he was a 4 years starter already before he got here. So how was Batch a good back up but MR is washed after 8 games?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I guess if you want to go by number then yeah he was average. I remember always feeling comfortable with him as a back up.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You probably felt comfortable because it was only a couple games per season he sometimes played. It’s what I’ve been saying. I feel MR can step in and win us a couple games if he needed too. He did it 5 times last year. I have confidence he will be better, how much I don’t know. I feel his supporting cast that now includes a QB coach won’t be as lackluster as it was last year. I’ll take MR to win us 3-4 games if needed and we don’t have to make any moves financially to secure a much higher paid back up.
    If Ben goes down early it won’t matter if we have MM or MR , neither is leading us to a SB. So I’m not willing to mortgage the future and kick the can down the road just to bring in a high paid backup to win 3-4 games. We already have that in house. He already proved it last year even with all his inexperience,shortcomings and lack of a good supporting cast, players and coaches.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I see what you are saying but I don't really agree. You and I have different opinions. You believe Mason can play I do not, you believe MM is washed up and I am hoping he is not. Yes I said hoping as we really don't know if he is or isn't, no way to know that unless you can see the future. What I can see is how bad Mason was like I said before. You keep point to the wins well they came against the Bunglas......TWICE, Miami, Indy and the Rams. I know you can only play who is on your schedule but you have to take that into account while judging his play.

Also I am more confident in MM if Ben goes down long term than MR. You are just the opposite. Also while saying that I don't believe if Ben goes down we are totally done. Look at this year if we had anything at QB we are in the playoff easy and I don't care what anyone says get in and you have a chance......the Titans this year was proof of that. I agree I am not happy with just getting in but getting in is the first step. jmo

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Even if Haden extension is 2 years, they shouldn't add more years on it, he's already over 30 and you never know when his play will fall off. They would be better off doing a extension with a different player.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nobody knows what the Steelers are thinking I am just posting options. Did you think they would give a 36 year old a 2 year extension worth 68 mil with 37.5 guaranteed?

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s bad business to extend or restructure guys who you can’t count on long term. It only makes it harder in the future to field a competitive team. Other guys contracts are coming up , the last thing you want to do is guarantee more money for your fading stars. Haden,Tuitt and Ben are the last guys you should be guaranteeing more money too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this and I know Haden is getting on the wrong side of 30 but if you extend him 1 year what is the harm? I am not saying I would or wouldn't do that but I am just saying what has Haden shown to be worried about 1 year. Ben and Tuitt heck yeah I agree 100%. There are tons of moves the Steelers can make just like we have talked about with cuts extending Haden is down on the list but is an option. jmo

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't we still have glemm? :cool:

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Absolutely. Big Ben has been carrying the team since about 2008. Ben asks for something, they pretty much go get it.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I hope you meant to use green font........

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Red would be more applicable. :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Once Ben said he wanted to continue playing, I expected them to re-sign him, the money that's the going rate for a future HOF QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

And look at us now........