1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you want backing up Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Move up/trade to get a stud to replace or learn under him for 1 -2 years?

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Move up/trade to get a solid veteran backup?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Stick with our illustrious threesome we currently have backing him up?

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    MM isn’t going to be able to break tackles like Ben. Very few have. While he does offer more mobility he has yet to show the ability to extend plays and make throws down the field. There a big difference in extending plays and making something positive from them. That’s a big reason they benched him for Tannehill. Tannehill was able to offer mobility and accuracy down the field. The running game coupled with play action and RPOs made the Titans hard to defend. Teams had no choice but to stack the box. Tannehill made them pay MM couldn’t. So while MM might not be run first he has yet to prove he is a threat throwing the ball consistently. He’s much more of a running QB than he is a pocket passer. There are styles of offense that need to be played to take advantage of that. If you ask him to drop back read the defense and deliver the football like Ben he will prove incapable, even with his added mobility. Didn’t some think Hodges mobility was gonna be the savior to our OL woes? That was short lived ;)

There’s a reason why we’ve had pocket passers backing up a pocket passer. All the extra things Ben used to do were pretty unique to Ben. MM isn’t going to shake off a OLB or DT like Ben. Like I said we’re not going to put in a special offense for MM. Probably for the same reason we traded Dobbs and have MR and DH as our back ups. You can’t expect everyone else on the offense to be able to adjust game to game based on the style of QB behind Center. Now if you tell me we were looking for a QB to replace Ben and had the brainpower and willingness to build a offense around MM,I might take a chance because he’s young. With the way we are currently built,I wouldn’t...jmo

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So Tanny was good enough with the Titans but he wasn't good enough for the Dolphins, how about Foles he stunk with the Rams but won a SB with the Eagles. Just because a guys stinks in one spot it means he will in another. Yare seeing it more and more nowadays. I agree I did think Duck would be better cause he could run.......but he never ran he just stood there and took the sacks. Also you keep saying pocket passer vs running QB. LJ is a running QB MM is more of a pocket passer who can run. Also you hit the nail on the head MM is still young unlike a guy like Keenum. Ben is at the end and if he goes down and MM step in good you have years left with him if you want to sign him. That is looking to far down the road but it is a possibility.

3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Tannehill was successful with a dominant running game, something we don’t have. More than likely if the weight was put strictly on his shoulders he would of failed. Foles went on a very uncommon tear and has come crashing back down to Earth where he always was. There is also the point and well documented that Pederson adapted the offense to fit Foles. Do you expect Fichtner to be able to do the same? Based on how you feel about Fichtner I would guess no. MM isn’t a running QB but he’s not a pure pocket passer either he is a combination of the two. A mobile QB who has yet to prove he can throw the football effectively on a consistent basis. You would now be asking him to come in and fit in our system. I’m not trying to say MM is done and can’t turn his career around I just don’t think he is a fit here in the current situation. IMO the offense will have to change to take advantage of what he does well. You can’t have two contrasting styles at QB. It’s too difficult for everyone else on the offense. If you are going to take a chance on MM it should be as a starter and you need to be willing to build it around him unless your starter is made from the same mold, then the transition would be smoother...

Edit: I would be very surprised if MM didn’t get himself a multi year deal somewhere and if it’s just a 1 year deal,it will very likely be in the 12+ mil range. Which is way out of our price range currently....

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    We will have to agree to disagree especially when the Steelers have already said They are moving on with Mason. I stand by my opinion that MM would be our best option. Time will tell just what MM get in the free agent market. I will be surprised if he gets a multi year deal unless it is as a starter but I do not believe he will.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I read somewhere that the steelers' brass was enamored of the little eason boy

• Like Like x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not going to happen but earlier I suggested Case Keenum, a veteran QB with playoff experience who could push Rudolph. The Steelers are determined to have Mason as their backup QB :facepalm:.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason > Mariota > Keenum

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
    The Vikings carried Keenum like they are carrying Cousins at the moment.
    Mariota can't see the field just running lanes. Dobbs was better.
    Mason doesn't turn it over USUALLY, knows when to check down, Needs work on mechanics & chemistry with other receivers not named Washington. He was better than Baldshaw's first go around.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm good with Mason... Just need honchos to get him squared away. I only say Mariota because I in fact think he's a good QB that didn't have the best situation in Tennessee. I also understand that Fichtner's probably not his best tutor so it probably wouldn't be a good fit anyhow not to mention that they are not going to go get him anyway. More of a fan thing I'd like to see and believe if things were a right fit he'd look good on our preferred team.

But to say Dobbs is better than Mariota? Atleast that's how I read it and apologize if I read wrong. But if I'm not... (Cue the Beastie Boys) "HEY HOMEBOY WHATCHU DRINKING MAAAAAAANNNNN" hahahahahah

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Foles is the perfect person for the conversation. As a rookie he looked the part, the his 2nd year he played exceptional. 27 td 2 int. Then he regressed, showed nothing for the Rams, played decent for KC in a limited b/u role, then when called upon played lights out again and won SB MVP. Two years later he sucked again as a starter. In a league where probably 15 of the starting QB's should not be starting, trying to find that BU many dream about is highly unlikely. In the right scenario you get a reliable vet who may win you a couple, but what you are really asking is for him NOT TO LOSE games by his mistakes. If the team plays well as a unit you get those wins, if the BU gets hot, hell you win even more. How long will he keep it up though? That's the gamble, if you want to invest those extra millions it may be worth it, as bad as the Steelers were on O, they played close to some very decent teams. Would a Vet BU have made a difference in getting a couple of more wins, perhaps, but then again the extra 5-7 million you put out for him leaves a hole or 2 in other places.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I've seen Mariota play. He is into scrambling. Likes to tuck & run. Doesn't like the pocket. Can't throw on the run. Can't convert a third down through the air. Titans have receivers but no Antonio Gates for Mariota to lob a high pass to. Tannehill outplayed him last season. Yep, Ryan freakin Tannehill. Titans need a QB still, one of their biggest weaknesses. Let's see, a team that Mariota would make better, hmmm....? .....crickets

Dobbs is better might have been reaching a bit. Jamais 'int' Winston is better than Mariota & he ain't exactly setting a high bar.

Edit: Say we do go get a veteran backup, I'd take Andy Dalton over the guys being discussed. I would be on the fence about giving a draft pick to acquire him though. The others, naa.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Keenum did his job as a game manager, he won some games and didn't kill his team, Mason was killing the team by the time he got benched. Hopefully with a QB coach Mason can get better at some things, he needs to work on his pocket awareness..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. Keenum >>>> Rudolph (at least right now).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I can agree with Keenum didn't kill his team. He had an awesome supporting cast in Minnesota, both offense & defense. Not so much elsewhere & his deficiencies showed. Put Mason on that Viking team and one sees similar results or better imo. Rudolph is a good game manager at this early stage of his career. If He learns to move in the pocket & step into throws then we have our better Charlie Batch.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Most guys are back ups for a reason right? I am just looking at getting a guy in here that has a few things after what I seen last season. I would like experience since he may have to over come the Fitchner effect. I would like someone who can move since the oline is getting worse. Is this guy MM and could MM come here and do good, IDK but am willing to see. The way I look at it is we seen what happened last year when Ben went down and I seen what happened last season in the league with what back ups did, Teddy and Tanny. My opinion is if QB is the most important position than I would like to beef up that positioin and the reason why is IMO I feel we have a great defense, good WR's and a vet oline. We can still win with a back up QB.

As for the 5-7 mil we would have to spend it can be done. I have posted several times how we could free up 40+ mil in cuts(without hurting the starting line up to bad), restructures and some extensions(to the right players). This isn't an easy task but it can be done, some imo money is not an issue. This really don't matter cause the Steelers want to go with Mason and that is fine. I am hoping that health and a QB coach will turn him around if needed. What I am talking about with MM is JMO on what I would do.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    After watching the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers season, the most notable takeaway was how desperately the Steelers needed a competent quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger. After Big Ben went down with a season-ending injury in Week 2, the Steelers were forced to start a combination of Mason Rudolph and Devlin “Duck” Hodges for the remainder of the season.

Despite boasting a defense that ranked top-three in yards, takeaways and sacks, the Steelers finished with an 8-8 record and missed out on a playoff berth.

Much of the team’s failures can be attributed to the replacement quarterbacks, who combined for 18 touchdowns and 17 interceptions while averaging 6.4 yards per pass attempt. If the Steelers had a competent backup, they likely could have squeaked into the playoffs. While Pittsburgh most assuredly laments not having a contingency plan in place, they have a chance to implement one now by signing Marcus Mariota in free agency.

Mariota would be a serviceable fill-in if needed, given he has never garnered less than 7.0 yards per pass attempt in his career and has thrown 76 touchdowns to 44 interceptions in his five seasons with Tennessee. Mariota would be a massive upgrade over the current reserves in Pittsburgh and a great insurance policy if Roethlisberger were to go down again.

Pittsburgh currently has negative $2 million in cap space and no picks in the first round of the draft due to the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade. If they want a solid backup and potential successor to the soon-to-be 38-year-old Roethlisberger, Mariota would be their best and most affordable option.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    “ Not to lose” that’s exactly what MR was providing for them last year. He only had 1 multiple INT game and that was the Cleveland debacle. 5-3 with very little help around him ,many other well discussed issues as well and you don’t have to spend those extra millions at the expense of other players which will undoubtedly have to happen. Like you said it’s hard enough to find 15 competent starters. The role of a back up is to hopefully win a few games should your starter miss some time. To expect a Foles miracle ...is exactly that a miracle.

We have a lot more holes to fill than the Eagles had when Foles stepped in and Tannehill as well. A starting OLB (Dupree?), back up FS, a starting RB that can stay healthy, Feiler,Finney,Hilton and 2 TEs currently not under contract needs to be resolved before we can think about spending 8+ mil on a back up QB. I’m not sure most people realize how precarious the depth of our OL is.
    Feiler needs to be resigned. There’s no way we can afford to lose him. Finney is our swing guard and back up Center. Lose Pouncey for some time and then realize how important Finney is. The talk is cutting Foster and moving Feiler to LG and have Banner and Chuks fight it out at RT. Neither of those guys have proven they are capable of playing in space. If that plan fails Feiler stays at RT and now we have no Guard unless Finney is back or we draft a instant starter at the position. That’s not easy at 49. My point is back up QB is a luxury right now that we can’t currently afford especially with all the other holes. We gambled and bet 34 mil. that Ben can make it back and has enough gas in the tank to take us to a SB. If our seasons fortunes rest on the shoulders of our back up QB, we have much bigger problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Best bet? Quite possibly. Affordable? -2 mil in cap space. Pretty naive article. In a perfect world yeah sign MM. Is the author of the article aware of all the other more pressing needs? Doesn’t sound like it. Hell why not just give up on Ben being able to make it back and cut him. Save the 14 mil. or whatever from Ben and the 8+ for a backup and put it towards bringing in TB since money is no object :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There are other teams showing interest in MM, which means we will go with a poor mans backup again this year:

Per Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline, the Patriots are showing interest in free-agent quarterback Marcus Mariota.

Keep this in the back of your mind – with all the uncertainty surrounding Tom Brady, the New England Patriots are showing interest in soon to be free agent quarterback Marcus Mariota. The former first-round pick is being courted by several teams who may have an open competition at quarterback.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not disagreeing with you, however the considerations I believe this year come down to Franchising Bud and pretty much keeping the status quo on the O and hoping Ben comes back hot. The tag itself might create more space if a long term deal is reached and some of that money is moved to the future, but if not that chunk of change really stymies the team from making any moves after they try and keep their mid tier talent. I have no idea what the market will set for Mariota or Keenum (if he is even available), but Teddy is going to want to start and his payday will certainly be out of reach. The OP was about 'all in now' and I believe with the right strategy they really would not have to mortgage the future to get the right pieces for this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I think I know someone that thinks like this, lol.........:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You probably wrote it...:shrug::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s the thing ....franchising Dupree knocks out any dreams of spending money on a QB. Even if they don’t franchise Dupree you still would need to sign a veteran back up. So hypothetically you are removing Dupree, Barron, Hargrave and Hilton or 3 out of 4. There’s still the OL as well and TEs that need to be signed. The day they signed Ben to his contract extension for that amount of a cap hit....they told us they were going all in. I’ve always been on record of saying that if we can find a way to keep Hilton,Feiler and Finney ,while keeping Dupree....go for it. I’m only really against Dupree being tagged because of the potential loss elsewhere. OL is the most important position in regards to Ben leading us back. We can’t screw that up....

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You and I have went back and forth on this a lot and we both look at it different ways. We seen what happens when we didn't have a quality back up last season. You know I was on the Mason train and yeah it wasn't just him that was bas. But look at some of his plays, he is a statue in the pocket and he misses easy wide open check downs. Does having a QB coach change that I don't think so. We will find out because the Steelers aren't going to bring in a guy and it will be Mason again.

Me I would see what MM will cost and hope like hell we don't need him. However when QB is the most important position in the game and I just watched us lose out because of it I am taking the next step. So to say back up QB is a luxury I guess it is all in how you look at it. I can tell you last year the Saints and Titans are pretty happy they decided to invest in it last year. Does it work every time heck no but when the other way doesn't work like last year for us maybe it is time to try a different way. jmo :smiley1: