1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers consider trading down from #49?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 3, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Depending on who is on the board at the time, but given our situation, I would be for this idea.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tough call. As it sits it looks like jk dobbins could make it to 49 depending on what site you are looking at. If he was there I'm afraid I'd have to make that pick. It's still a top 50 pick. The rest we are looking at depth mostly anyway if we are signing Dupree. Dobbins would make the offense better. :cool:

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Absolutely not. Alex Kozora is an idiot. They need to be trading up back into the 2nd with their 3rd round comp for Bell or one of the 4ths. With no 1st. I'd be happy with two 2nd round picks.

If we sit tight with what we got...

• Round 1: None
    • Round 2: Pittsburgh
    • Round 3: Comp for Bell
    • Round 4: Miami, Pittsburgh
    • Round 5: None
    • Round 6: Pittsburgh
    • Round 7: Pittsburgh

What numnuts here wants..

• Round 2: None
    • Round 3: Comp, 62, 94.
    • Round 4: Miami, Pittsburgh

What I want....
    • Round 2: Pittsburgh, Comp and our 4th traded up into 2nd.
    • Round 3: Miami 4th and our 6th traded back into 3rd.
    • Round 4: None
    • Round 5: Our 7th and future late to get into 5th round.
    • Round 6: None
    • Round 7: None

With no 1st. We need to be active in trading up for higher quality picks not trading back. The production drop off after the 2nd in drafts is huge and falls off more and more as the rounds go by. I want higher quality picks. I don't care about camp bodies.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Curious as to if you used the basis of reality to make these trades. Did you consult at least somewhat the points chart that is attached to these picks? It not a rule but it is a guideline that needs to be considered when talking hypothetical trades of picks. It’s not simply saying so that makes it feasible....when talking about making these moves you should maybe show how and if it works. Show the points and how they add up...jmo

Edit: A quick search using Drafteks chart Miami’s 2nd is worth 510 pts. They have two 2nds if that’s the one you were aiming for but that’s worth 340 pts. The Steelers comp(92 pts.) and 4th ( 52 pts.) doesn’t even come close to getting it done and I’m betting your second trade scenario probably doesn’t either but I hate numbers so I’m not gonna confirm it. If I’m understanding your idea correctly...it doesn’t work.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  6. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Yes they should if there is no Dobbins, CEH or 1st round graded WR. Trade back only 5 slots and gain an addition 3rd rounder sounds like a win for me....

a quick mock

2) Cushenberry
    3a) Trautman
    3b) WR-Dave Durventury ( TX)
    4a) Dillon
    4b) Feki NT

How can you not like that additional pick...

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I wasn't eyeing any picks. I was just ball parking. It could be a late 2nd. I want to get back into the 2nd. Two 2nd round picks is better than two mediocre 3rd rounds and a 4th.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bell Comp pick isn't official yet is it? So far this is what it looks like? We need a TE, S, and RB... it will be tough to land one that can help us the way it look here:
    • Round 2: Pittsburgh
    • Round 3: None
    • Round 4: Pittsburgh

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011

Before Hubbard and Etienne went back to school i was big on going RB at #49 as I thought one of the 5 would be there. Between Swift, Dobbins and Taylor, I'm not sure any of them make it to #49.

I'm not big on the TE class.

Where's Claypool WR from Notre Dame gonna go? He would be interesting.

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Fascinating take. Care to elaborate?!

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Chase Claypool truly is a wild card at this point. Given the NFL's continual increase of matchup advantage, having an offensive hybrid like Claypool can really change the perspective Offensive Coordinators would normally go without. If defenses are equipping themselves with hybrids like Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James and Isaiah Simmons, wouldn't this be the appropriate time to turn the tables?!

Chase Claypool's importance to not just to this draft but the future of how the NFL will conduct matchups is going to be quite the underrated storyline up until about the week of the draft in my opinion. Teams need more than just speed demons like Henry Ruggs III. Teams need multi role Offensive Weapons like Taysom Hill. More specifically....

Offenses need players like Chase Claypool. That said, one big hurdle still remains. Are Offensive Coordinators who take Chase going to break their own conventions and use him to the best of his abilities much like how Greg Roman did with Lamar Jackson?!?!

Guess it is time to find out.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I've seen him sink to about 46 on some boards. Depends how it rolls. If he's there I would do it. I wouldn't be opposed to doubling up on a TE either. Not necessarily early either. I may look to the kid from ucla asiasi and late or as an udfa ellefson from ND St.. The latter gives us a two for one. FB and TE. I still like Bryant too from fla. Atlantic.

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I appreciate all types of entertainment. Everyone has their ideas and opinions , which is great. I just like it when they’re based in some sort of reality :smiley1:

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I am almost always a trade down guy, but not this year. What are you really gonna net.....one extra pick? Maybe two but one will most certainly be a 7th this year or next. We need at least one high quality player and our best shot is at 49. I'll take the sniper approach this year vs the shotgun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree. If we can hit with the first two, we can add depth with two fours a sixth and seventh.

I do think corner and safety have to be priority. I'd go DL, OL with the fourth and sixth. I'd save that last pick for a guy like ellefson the TE/FB. He's a two for one.

I am also like ny, where I think we are ok this year at wr. Cain and darboh are a couple of guys from high profile programs with a year under their belts. They have some size and speed. Our three starters will have the benefit of ike hilliard and ben helping this group. If we can hit on a few priority undrafted free agents we could be ok. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Our UDFA class better be top notch, our draft is gonna be lackluster...