1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I wish we had similar players like Ward, Polamalu, and Harrison in today's day and age

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Mar 2, 2020.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    IMO, the Steelers would be better off if they had similar players listed above. They'd add more character and confidence to our current team.

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I wish there were more like them in general. Unfortunately, they aren't being made like that anymore. Character is being replaced with entitlement. Oh, I'm sure a few will fall through the cracks, but society isn't leaning toward raising kids with ethics and a blue-collar mentality. It's the "me" generation. It sucks.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    IMHO, just wait until they start pulling in image and ad monies while still in College - talk about idiocy on steroids for many of these prima-donas. Going to change the whole dynamics of team sports both from less fortunate/less important teammates to opponents targeting the new "rich" kids. Have no problem with equal stipends for equal participants but escrow the balances (profits) into trust funds for after graduation access - and yes make graduation part of the equation since it's because of their free rides and participation on the college gridiron that they are able to now sell their images. Schools should mandate it. I'm sure some dopey Judge or District Court would rule against it but makes sense to me. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, the Steelers would be better off with three HOF-level players...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    “in today’s day and age” pretty well sums it up.

when I was a kid, we couldn’t spray paint graffiti on buildings. We had to settle for chiseling things on our cave walls.

Just saying.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Yeah, you need a leader by example on the field in all three phases of the game. That person holds the other players accountable. That is what separates the championship teams from the rest. When that is absent, you get 8 and 8 records and MAYBE the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Social Media Leads to Facebook... Facebook leads to... Youtube... Youtube leads too... the Dark Side.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Fixed that for ya:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And we found other ways to get high as opposed to huffing the paint.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn time really does fly. Seems like just a few years ago we had those players.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And those guys couldn't beat New England either :shrug:

12. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I agree that we need players like that, but I have hope that MAYBE Minkah can be in Troy's image and maybe JuJu can follow in Hines image...but time will tell.

13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    we have a few...…… all on defense though..
    cam on the d-line
    say what you will about him athletically, but vince Williams has the head and heart and definitely speaks up for the lbers…
    TJ Watt is also turning into quite the leader and devin bush is well on his way
    in the secondary, joe haden is the leader and leads by example for the other db's……… I think MF (I don't think i'll be using those initials in the future) is ready to take the next step as well...

we just need the offensive personal to start stepping up

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They beat them in 08 when they went on to win the sb that yr vs the cardinals.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Never in the playoffs though with that group

16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    True and good point. I think in 08 had they matched up they would have won though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not when they are listening in on our play calling, & not just our guys. Flacco was an anomaly, not sure why.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    As would every team and the NFL as a whole. Harrison was the man and I believe he got screwed around his last year here but he wasn't the consummate professional on his way out with some of his actions either. I totally understand him being pissed/handcuffed to the point he checked out but don't dig the sleeping in meetings and talking **** on his IG page in the gym. Could've totally put his side of the story on blast in a more professional manner but ultimately would not have done much in the way of rectifying that crazy ass locker room at the time...

I guess in all honesty he could've bettered his bitter better... Might've saved TODS backwards a few mini strokes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I was really hoping that Hines would have spent more time on our sideline helping to coach the WRs.

I love ex players that lacked God Given Talent and made their way to becoming an NFL starer on hard work and game study. Ward had less than most as he dropped like a rock in the draft when everyone found out he was missing his ACL. Combine Grade F 18/100. Didn't do most of the events. No 40 time at the combine, but was was listed as a 4.55 40yd dash time.

Washington I think would have taken to Hine's style of play. Too bad Ward just signed as a coach with the Jets.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Spot on. I also think JuJu is a Hines more than an AB type player. With more shifty moves.

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hines Ward with a ACL?

• Like Like x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Add in Heath Miller, James Farrior, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith ect ect. The list goes on and on. Old school out, new school in, drama, drama, sell the drama. Oversaturation. Players today are lights, camera, action. Some are still old school type, Cam Heyward, TJ Watt, David DeCastro, AV. Its the time we live in where it's more then a game, it's show business.

Hence why I have strayed away from pre game shows ect.

And color commentators are starting to get on my last nerve. Just give me play by play. I don't need that scrub Romo telling me every play ad nauseam. Guess it's for those who haven't watched enough football. Unnerving. And now he is going to get worse with that monster contract.

• Like Like x 1
  23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    My Advanced English teacher in high school taught us how to dry banana peels correctly...to smoke them. Can't say those hippie tree-huggers aren't good for something. Smoke a correctly dried banana peel and you'll trip balls. Seriously. If she had showered more and shaved her pits I might have crushed on her. Or maybe I did and just didn't realize it? As far as I remember, she was nothing more than a Chaucer-loving dried-peel hookup.