1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you want backing up Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Move up/trade to get a stud to replace or learn under him for 1 -2 years?

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Move up/trade to get a solid veteran backup?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Stick with our illustrious threesome we currently have backing him up?

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Although I have my concerns with Conner, I am not ready to give up on him. His biggest concern IMO is that he runs upright making him susceptible to injury. But let's be honest, the game that Fuchtner called last year simply removes any legitimate evaluation and we've all seem some great RB's who ran upright.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think it's more than just a "talented" QB, I think Ben's absence showed just how bad Fuchtner is and I think Ben was able to disguise Fuchtner because Ben did what he wanted. A "talented" QB which does not have Ben's authority/confidence could look like crap in Fuchtner's system.

I learned a long time ago not to concern myself with the financial end of things. The Steelers have always found a way to work through that and despite my lack of confidence in Art II, I believe the combined effort of the decision makers will handle it next year too.......let's hope!

3. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I say if Beg can't comeback give Eli a call bring him out and give Mason another year

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree Fitch is a big problem and like you say Ben being talented overshadows that. Now with that said all the more reason to have an experienced back up right?

It is fine if you don't want to concern yourself with the financials I get it cause it is pretty complicated. I do like to talk about it cause at the end of the day that is a major reason why we sign and don't sign guys. Do we have control of that no we don't but tell we what we talk about on here we do have control of? I try and understand as much as I can and then talk about my opinions.....right or wrong it is pretty fun. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Absolutely we need an "experienced" back-up! My point being that a young stud back-up may not have the "experience" or the authority to audible out of, or completely ignore, Fuchtner's play calls. Imagine that MaHomes was backing up Ben because we simply hadn't had time to see what he was capable of, I doubt if he would have the same ability to ignore Fuchtner that Ben does.

As far as the financial end I wish I could understand it well enough to have an opinion. It's just that there seems to be caps, and limits, and rules, etc. that somehow get worked around so I'm guessing it's even more complicated than you suggest, and maybe more clandestine than we as fans can ever know.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree about the playoffs both last year and what we expect as Steeler fans. I do think if Mason wasn't getting his bell rung every other game we would have made the playoffs. Imo he is our backup, a better backup than what I've seen from Mariota. Rudolph is no Ben but I think he would be as good as just about every qb that will hit fa this season. Except for the proven starters not named Rivers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I respect you opinion but I have lost faith in Mason. This coming from a guy who was pro Mason in the off season, I will even go as far as to say I was ready to send Ben packing and hand it over to Mason as our future.........not no more. I really believe we are a better team with MM or Keenum than Mason, jmo

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I respect the points you make but I just can't understand the faith in him when his mechanics and field recognition are so bad? Yes 8 games isn't much but two full seasons of practice should have diminished his fundamental flaws and I simply don't see it. How long are we going to say "man he has a lot of upside, if he just didn't throw from his back foot and dump off after his first read". Make him throw 100 balls a day stepping in to the throw rather than leaning back and throwing a floater.

I would much rather see a cagey old veteran with limited mobility than someone else's rejects. I think with Fuchtner calling plays, anyone but a cagey old vet, who can ignore him, will struggle.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t tell me you’re reaching DEFCON 5 anti-Bush levels on MR now ....:shrug::hehehe:

10. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    sounds too early for me, he'll never be more than a backup at best...

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thanks hawaii. Finally. If that one post is pimping him out of all the other posts I actually pimped him in later, I stand corrected. I still would not have a problem with them doing it. I still think we keep looking especially with a full time an coach. I love a backup that can run. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'd take Marcus Mariota in a heart beat. They won't but I would. Even then, Fichtner's wouldn't be able to utilize him either.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    isn't that what this thread was about? :cool:

14. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    yes, it is. you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

and I'm entitled to mine and as someone who has seen every single one of Cole McDonald's college games I wouldn't draft him.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd take him over any of our 3rd string qbs. Duck, Barrett not sure yet about lynch. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    QB1 - 59 TDs passing. 21 interceptions 4 TDs rushing. Ben

QB2- 69 TDs passing. 24 interceptions 11 TDs rushing. Cole McDonald

Just a little comparison of each qbs last two years in college. Both juniors out of college. Just sayin.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Careful I said the same thing and got killed for it. Time will tell how much MM will sign for but my guess is in the 7m range and judging from last year I would spend on a guy like him in a heartbeat.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    But I thought you weren't pimping him to the Steelers in the 4th round, only as a late pick or UDFA :facepalm::roflmao::hehehe:.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

The thing is just because he failed in one spot don’t mean he will fail in another. I mean look at tannyhill he was done with the dolphins and almost went to the SB with the titans. The same can be said about Foles he stunk with the Ram and won a SB with the eagles. Anything can happen with a change of scenery right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Trying not to kill you again NY but Mariota will be a bench rider the rest of his career imo. I don't think even Belicheat could get a first round bye out of him. The guy can't throw like a NFL QB should be able to. His feet get too happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You may be right or you may be wrong, neither of us know what will happen. Like I said above both Tannehill and Foles were considered hopeless and look what they did. All I am saying is get a guy in here so if Ben goes down we still have a chance despite Fitch leading the way. MM has experience and is mobile so maybe he would do enough to get us scoring more than 10 points again. I just don't want to see a replay of last year if we lose Ben, jmo.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Renew your faith in Mason, he wasn't that bad except for a few games. First year starting & he did get his bell rung a few times.
    Take into account the offense that will be run if Ben goes down again. It will call for a pocket QB that can stay in there in the pocket & read the defense. Mariota seems to want to leave it asap. He would rather scramble & look for yards on the ground than focus on what the defense is giving him. Run first mindset imo.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm good with Rudolph & Lynch backing up Ben. I don't expect Ben #s with either of them but none of the fa's hitting the market would give us what Ben does, maybe Marsha. :puking2:

If Mason has to go again, I expect 3-4 more wins out of him. A year experience under his & the other youngsters on offense belt should pay dividends. Enough to complement our rising bad azz defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. Again it will be Ben’s offense because that’s what Fichtner knows. With Ben trying to make his comeback they aren’t going to start to change things now. MR was 5-3 as a starter and one could argue it could of been a little better if he had more help from his teammates (drops) ,his OC ( vanilla game plans) and a designated QB coach (none). So let’s say he went 6-2. Under the same circumstances MR faced is a back up going to go 7-1 ,8-0? Highly doubtful....
    Could we jump through the hoops necessary to pay for a veteran back up? Probably, but at what cost for now and the future? There will have to be some sacrifices with our current cap situation and or future transactions. Is a backup going to lead us to a championship if Ben goes down early? Doubtful. Can a backup step in and win a few games? Yes. Can MR? Yes. He already proved he could with many things working against him. Fix the issues that hampered him that I listed above and we will see better success and it won’t cost us a extra dime or have to sacrifice anything. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1