1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which player should be the pick at #49?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Brycen Hopkins TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Adam Trautman TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Justin Jefferson WR

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Jonathan Taylor RB

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  5. Denzel Mims WR

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Chase Claypool WR

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Other

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Taylor is there, the Steelers should run to the podium with the pick.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I picked other I am thinking OL or OLB.

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Dupree stays, I think they address another position. I could see them picking a OL at #49, they need to get younger there.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Chase Claypool is my draft crush right now. Big and fast - a combo the Steelers don't have. Plus he plays special teams.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Whomever the best player is. Can be anyone at this point. No one that the Steelers have met has yet to supersede the other.

Nevermind that, Free Agency is still looming. Plenty of decisions to be made then. That will give us a more clearer answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    All depends on Dupree and who is cut or not brought back. Hilton, hargraves are starters without replacements. Sutton, yes but he was our dime backer too, you would leave a void there. Now another option would be nelson, which can be a slot corner. If they trust layne to start. We lose burns and davis. This leaves us thin in the secondary. Maybe corner is the pick. :cool:

7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I voted for Taylor but he will be long gone by the time we pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    6'4" 238 lbs and runs a 4.43. Whatever team drafts him will have to put a run away truck ramp in their endzone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Spend the 2nd round pick and get 20 year old CESAR RUIZ, MICHIGAN. Center/Guard

Keep Feiler at RT and let BJ Finney become the starting guard. (I don't see Finney coming back unless he gets a shot at the starting job)

Ruiz to eventually replace Pouncey as the next great Steelers Center.

This give us an experienced OL for the 2020 season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Bryce hall from virginia. DB. I liked him last year but he stayed in school. Good corner that could play some safety down the road if needed. Would fill a needed role with hilton moving on, burns gone and sutton in his final year. Unless Dobbins is there. :cool:

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have seen enough Va DB's/safeties& VA Tech Safeties

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Have we had a lot of those? The year I wanted fuller and was shot down, he ended up as one of the best. Hall is pretty good. I'm not done with Edmunds yet like most. We have a couple of pretty good coaches that were brand new to the team. We have a stable defensive backfield to work with now. We will see what they can do. It took troy and Clark 3-4 years to get good together. If these coaches can have the same players in the same positions for more then a year they will have time to work on individual performance more. That's why I'd like to see hilton kept. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I liked Juan Thornhill safety from VA last year, he played good before getting injured with the Chiefs.

14. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    I like this idea of re-signing Finney (LG) and Feiler(RT) long term.

This can almost eliminate the need to draft an OL until our 2nd 4th pick or maybe later.
    With that said, we can go any which way. Don't have a pressing need for a starter, but to develop as future starters and key contributors. We can CB, RB, WR, DL, LB, and you can even add QB there.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah but has Tomlin? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Now that Free Agency is over, we have a bit more clarity. Assuming a good defensive player falls to pick 49, the assumed pick is offense. That said, said player does not have to start; red shirt preferably.

Lloyd Cushenberry, Erza Cleveland, Austin Jackson, Antonie Winfield Jr. and Micheal Pittman Jr. would be my personal incumbents. All three solve issues not only this season but also in 2021 and beyond. Any one of these players can work.

Of them all though, if Austin Jackson does indeed fall to us at pick 49, I will throw a party!

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This is assuming Ceaser is even available. Before the combine, he was already a top five Interior Offensive Lineman. Now, he is the best one in the class. Whomever is a close second to Ruiz is not even a close second.

18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    One guy I don't know if we've talked much about is LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

I searched his name and returned no results. He definitely flew under my radar. I watched alot of LSU games and he was always productive but thought he may have been a product of the system. He looked small and while explosive didn't seem to be fast.

Watch the video below. It makes a pretty compelling case. His lateral agility is second to none. He definitely has some bounce to him.

I am of the mind that Swift, Taylor and Dobbins will all be gone by #49 but can this kid make a case? I am someone who thinks we need to draft a workhorse back and CEH even has pretty sweet hands. We need to start transitioning to a run based offense and I think another RB is key to that.

That all-22 angle shows off the lateral agility I was talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    very good back, he was mentioned by steeldeal earlier but I thought he was great when I saw LSU play this year. He's prob. mentioned in the college football room more.

I'm not really for a RB at 49, but I like the player.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes I did mention him a couple weeks ago as a overlooked talent.( thanks) Joe Burrow has also called him the best football player he’s ever played with and that includes his short time at OSU. He’s a talent for sure and has a good build and agility to have a long career.....for a RB anyway. I would even go as far as to say if I wanted a RB at #49 I might take him over all of them besides maybe Swift.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Clyde is 5'7 and runs a 4.6 40. In RB terms that is tiny and slow.

Now Cam Akers is a converted QB who is 5'11 and runs a 4.4 40.
    Makes you wonder what type of numbers he would have been able to put up behind a better O-line, with a world class QB?

[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    A small slow RB at #49, not interested, if Cam Akers was there in the 3rd then yes.

23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think a RB's 40 time is not really an indicator of anything outside of potentially taking a guy in the top 5 or 10.

The list of successful RBs who have 4.6 is very long. There is also a long list of RBs sub 5'10 who ran 4.55+ who have been incredibly successful.

I have always thought the 40 time is one of the most overrated numbers when scouting players. The only player likely to run 40 yards straight ahead are WRs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    How tall and fast was Emmit Smith?

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    5.9 and 4.70 I think

Frank gore 5'9 4.6
    Devontae Freeman 5'8 4.6

Lev Bell was taller but only ran around 4.6.

Trust me, of course I would love to go the 6'0 4.40 RB but don't write off CEH because of a 4.60 forty time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1