1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mortgage The Future Now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Mar 1, 2020.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    On one of Behind The Steel Curtain’s podcasts, Lance Williams makes the case that with Ben having two years left, along with Colbert and Tomlin possibly in their last years, that the Steelers should go “all-in” now, with the fact that there will most likely be a rebuild regardless after Ben retires. This includes trading future draft picks to move up this year if that “IT” player is there...

I definitely have to agree. What are your thoughts?

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I can't say anything about Colbert but unless he gets hit by a bus or bangs a dog on twitter, Tomlin isn't going anywhere.

And I don't know about "mortgaging" the future but I would definable invest heavily in the now while we have Ben and this D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The only way Tomlin would be gone is...He would have to suck this year ( 7-9, OMG not .500 or worse ) He would then MAYBE be put on notice ) Then if he sucked again ( 7-9 OMG not.500 again ) He MIGHT be let go.....But, I still doubt it with Rooney

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I don`t know about that. The only situation where I think taking a shot like that is justified is when you can get your hands on your franchise QB of the future. For example. Say two years from now we finish a year where the wheels came of Ben and he is done and we have a 6-10 season AND you see there is a can`t miss QB in the draft. Because no team wins it all anymore without a top shelf QB, then in that situation I say go for it.

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree except that even the top rated QB's every year are still about a 50/50 gamble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What does all in really mean? Do you get rid of pouncey? Vince? Juju? No money for the latter two. Who are the can't miss players? You still have to pay for them somehow. You still have to Replace the players You get rid of. You can't do it all in two drafts. These guys would still be rookies. Maybe Ben is no longer the qb we should be going all in on. Nothing is a sure thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben is Tomlin's only shot at another SB imo. Without his knowledge of NFL defenses & skill set to come from behind, we don't sniff the SB until Tomlin decides to retire.
    Tomlin coaching draft picks up? :roflmao:
    No, they better have it in them to begin with, ala T.J. Watt, Minkah, Ben, AB etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It only makes sense to mortgage the future if you’re just a key piece or two away from legitimately contending and that piece or pieces are available. In my opinion that isn’t the position the Steelers are in. We need a true #1 wr, #1 te, and arguably a #1 rb.
    They could snag an outstanding wr in this years draft, but the odds are good he won’t be a true #1 until year two. The #1 te isn’t there in this draft. We also have the salary cap situation to deal with. If we lose one or both of hargrave and Dupree we are even further away than the previously mentioned offensive pieces.

cliff’s notes- No. Do not mortgage the future

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bad decision to mortgage the future for a championship. As some have already said you don't know what will happen.

10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin proved he can coach well enough to help this team reach the SB. Every team's chances at a SB hinges on having a good QB and team that plays well enough.

All players need to have it in them to be coached up. Tomlin proved he can coach up players. Sometimes tunnel vision spoils the view.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mortgage the future? How about we see if Ben can actually make it through the season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I think 50/50 is being generous. That would mean that half the top rated qb's pan out. I think it's <25%.

We're in a tough financial position. We can't mortgage the future when there's no equity in our house. We're going to have to live for a few years and pay down the note we currently have.

Other than a healthy Ben, our issue isn't with the skilled positions. We need to address the OL. That's our Achilles heal right now. The offense, even with a healthy Ben, isn't going to scare anyone if we can't run/pass block.

Just like the pass rush benefited from Fitz bolstering the secondary, our skilled positions would immediately look better with another second to get into their breaks or get through a hole.

We have capable wr's and rb's. Lev Bell looked pedestrian behind the Jets' OL. It starts up front. Fix that and we are a totally different offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    AB didn't have it in him when drafted, he was a no name WR picked in the 6th round. Not many people had Watt being this good.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

not really true. AB had very good college stats. Most don't look to the MAC. I had watt as our 1st pick. Especially with his brother doing watt he was doing in the league. I watched watt he did in college. There are good players at these small schools but teams have to do the research. Kids stay close to home for various reasons instead of going to major programs. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Still nobody predicted AB putting up HoF type numbers when drafted, Watt was projected to go in the first round, but I saw him paly in college and didn't think he would be this good.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Predicting a HOF player in the draft is pretty stupid. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    My point is nobody saw greatness in AB when drafted, most people never even heard of him, I watch a lot of college football and didn't know who AB was.

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Has Tomlin proved it without veteran leadership from the players? ;)
    I don't see it.

He misses Troy, Farrior, the Bus, Clark, Hampton, Hines, Smith, Faneca. Where are the new leaders to take the helm? Where are they learning to be the leader it takes to go the distance? Cowher is gone. Big Ben? Please...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Watch AB in any season, on any team, at any age. The guy is clutch with an attitude problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    AB barely played his rookie season

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Pouncey, Foster, Ben, Heyward

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What people?

If he was projected as a 1st rounder well...

TJ has raised his game every year all the while it took 5 years for an average one to make a mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ben's health and subsequent performance is the hinge point here. No one really knows how he will perform in 2020 so mortgaging the future right now is probably not the best way to go. If he shows no lingering effects in the 2020 season and expresses a desire to fulfill his contract (2021) then I am putting together what key pieces I can in order to get that last final push before Ben is gone in 2022. My goal in this offseason would be to put the team in a position where they are just one key player or two out from getting to the promised land.
    I am fortifying both offensive and defensive lines and getting players signed that hold long term value (sorry Bud). I'm not mortgaging the future this year but setting myself up for mortgaging the future in 2021. I would want to be in striking distance if Ben is his old self physically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No way in heck do I want to use draft picks to go all in. We have a QB in his last 2 years and without him we are a pretty bad team. So instead of going all in we just need to find QB2 so if Ben is done we have a back up plan. This talk about us being all done with Ben isn't really true. Our team is young and we finally got a top ranked defense. Get us a good back up QB and we are a pretty good team for awhile. jmo

• Like Like x 1