1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest news on CBA agreement:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My comparison was meant to include all the head coaches that have coached in the NFL not just the guy next door. I believe you got the gist of the post but have your opinion on Mikey. Carry on with the bashing Stone, you interesting mofo.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I know what you meant:smiley1: and you aren't necessarily a Mikey apologist but the gist of it when it comes to Tomlin is that people talk about him in comparison to other head coaches, of whatever ilk you choose. But, the one thing people don't talk about when talking about Mikey's record, Mikey's non-losing seasons, etc. is a comparison of head coaches who have ever been handed what Mikey has been handed.

The best analogy I can use is this:

If you took two people and you gave person "A" one million dollars cash and person "B" one hundred dollars cash, and five years later both of them had a net worth of $500,000, people could easily assume they both have done alright for themselves.......unless.........you factor in what they were handed:hehehe:

Maybe I am too fixated on "what he's been handed" but I haven't heard much comparison of head coaches in that light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In regards to the extra game I'm calling BS again. The whole wear and tear narrative is just bologna. The league cancelled week 2 after 9-11 and pushed the season's schedule back a week. Teams practiced and prepared during that week while being hugely distracted. In the end the 18 week regular season didn't come with huge numbers of injuries and retirements. It's all crap

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree with you 100% but man this is gonna get good...........

[​IMG]

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Nah, I'm sure it will all be good as long as some nimrod doesn't come along and try to teach us all a thing or two:hmm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That about sums it up for Pouncy. Some can't help but be vulgar and speak on a 6th grade level. Will be glad when he's gone.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm pretty sure he needed a tutor to get that level:hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The owners knew they couldn't get a 18 game schedule, so now they want 17 games and 3 preseason games, the players still aren't going for it.

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Unless we go 8-8-1, LOL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks......... thanks a lot .......:frustrated:

Cajun
    <><

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think you make a valid point but I think the players and the NFLPA look at it like this:
    1. Every position has an average expected life that goes with it and it's probably based on a number of games in a career. And an additional game every year could mean one less year of play and pay.
    2. We all know that virtually any player's career could end on any given play and adding one more game, when players are already playing hurt and simply trying to make it till the end of the season, probably represents the biggest risk.
    3. And last but not least......"**** the owners!"

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    8-8-1 could become known as "The Tomlin line" like "The Mendoza line" in baseball.:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I see what you did Stone with that Pittsburgh connection referencing the "other" infamous home town Mario. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Is that one o them there double entre things?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You raise some good points but I think they are really missing a big opportunity by hiding behind a false narrative. We all know that the owners want that 17th game so when you know they want it badly go in and be aggressive in negotiations. Get everything you can. I'd like to see them change the union rules while they are at it. Instead of season's played going to the accrued totals, have it be games played. Lot more guys getting that extra game means lots more playing dues and reaping benefits. If they want 17 and Rodgers is to be believed then work hard for those offseasons, training camp and regular season practice demands. I mean the players really are in the driver's seat and should have a big list of wants to see how much the owners will give for that extra week and where the tipping point is. I mean if they say they want 67% of the revenue from that week would the owners pull the offer?

16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Well, Him and his brother wore Free Hernandez T-shirts... I'm sure they're great, upstanding, church going guys

• Like Like x 1
  17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Hard to really have an opinion without being a player much less being in the room to hear what's said. I do know unions typically pit old vs young time and time again. The 2 mindsets rarely connect between the 2 parties involving needs wants and desires. Funny thing is it's generally the late 40's to early 60's crowd vs the 20's and 30's in the real world. Crazy the amount athletes make vs average Joe for hardly a measurable fraction of actual Punches at the O'l time clock. Just another reminder of what we miss/love about the old school.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I believe the owners are, and always will be, in the drivers seat. Owners can always get players, just look what the XFL is doing, again. Owners own the league and all the franchises. Players are temporary labor that are bought, paid, and traded at the owners will. New potential labor is being evaluated right now in Indy for the owners to pick and choose which employees they would like to hire. They'll come and go but the NFL and the franchises will live on like they have for 100 years. Seeing how our own center is so professional and respectful in how he communicates his opinion about the CBA tells me all I need to know about players who play the game. To me its embarrassing to have seen one of our players act like some ignorant thug. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't that also known as a Dutch door? :hmm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think you are dead on but I think the NFL's negotiators are far superior to the NFLPA's negotiators. I think it's like Barney Fife up against F. Lee Bailey.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That made me laugh out loud!:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Keep in mind that the owners are not any better than the players. Especially when it comes to some of their conduct "off the field". Some of the things the owners did over the years and continue to do speaks to that.

The league already pulled the jedi mind trick over on the fans. People that believe the league is about the fans are only fooling themselves.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m really surprised how pro- billionaire many are. The players are the ones who make the game,not the owners. Yeah they can always get players but then then the NFL would be the XFL. The NFL players are the best of the best. They are the ones sacrificing their bodies and shortening their lifespans to play the game. Yeah they get paid handsomely but so do the owners and with no risk to their personal well being. Look at how the athletes are treated ( financially) in all the other professional sports. Mostly MLB and NBA , I don’t know enough about the NHL....

NFL is the most popular league with players having the most risk, yet they get the short end of the stick in comparison.

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think
    Roster size has a major impact compared to the other sport leagues. Another thing to take into account is how many games the players have to play in their lifetime. All the owners are greedy & we fans pay their price.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The thing is MLB or NBA don’t have a hard cap. MLB has roughly a 200 million dollar salary cap for a 26 man roster. Their contracts are also fully guaranteed. The NBA has a approximately 118 mil. for a 13 man roster also guaranteed.
    They play more games because they can. You don’t hear of MLB or NBA players dying young.