1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest news on CBA agreement:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Feb 22, 2020.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Let's just cut to the chase and abolish the championship. The NFL should get with the times and let the players play for fun. Everyone gets a ring at the end of the year and no one keeps score. That's the new American way, right?

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Unfortunately yes, it is. The problem is that I don't think the 200 people in attendance, the parents of the 100 guys on the field for any given game, will produce as much money as the corrupt and greedy owners want.

3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Yeah, but the way things are going, the players will have like 8 parents each. You won't be able to call them mother or father because that's offensive. So that brings the number of "domestic upbringers" in attendance to 800. Charge them $12,000 each and the owners won't notice the difference!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hmmm.....good point! They could have the games in a gymnasium and save millions there too!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'll bet you never had a negotiator like MP before?:smiley1: Who wouldn't want to just give that guy everything he wants, so intelligent, so well spoken, so endearing:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Looking like the players are voting against it. This will go back and forth a bunch more.

7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    It’s about greed!!! Greed by the Players!!!

Every team has 53 players on the roster and then 10 on the practice squad ...

The avg number of players on each team making over 10mil per season is around 8, then the next 6-8 highest paid players make above 5 mil per season.... That is only 16 out of 53 rostered players making really good money...... The other 37 players avg out at or just below a mil per year..... most on are their rookie deals or vet min.......

The only players screaming NO are the highly paid ones...... the new CBA would allow better pay for the bottom 2/3 of the roster and That is why they are mad.....

These vets don’t play the 4th preseason game any way so losing that and getting an extra in season game they hate, and if they are so worried about player safety then go go get a regular job and try making 100k or less per year..... come live in my world.

And if Pouncey is so concerned about his fellow players who aren’t highly paid then maybe he and Ben and Tuitt and Heyward and Haden should cap their salary at 8 mil per year and share the saving with they’re so endeared and beloved fellow players who aren’t making top dollar!!!!!

Cajun
    <><

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    The top salaried players did NOT want it going to a vote with the rank and file because the majority of NFL players aren’t highly paid and most likely will vote for this deal to increase Their share of the pie.... the top tiered guys wanted it voted down by leadership so They could keep Their Oversized slices of that limited pie called the salary cap !!!

Cajun
    <><

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The owners are greedy too, there's no need for a 17 game season, the players certainly don't want it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    They are, but there is a need for a 17th game...... no more 8-8 seasons!!!!

Either it’s a winning season or a losing season!!!!

Cajun
    <><

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If they don’t want it, they won’t vote for it. If they do vote for it, they want it. It’s that simple.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What makes you think this? Because 3-4 of the higher paid guys spoke out? The player reps voted 17-14 to vote on it. They only need a majority.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s either a winning season by winning more games then you lose or vice versa. What’s the difference if you finish 8-8? That’s your record. Now you can go 8-9 as well. I don’t see the point. If you’re 8-8 you’re 8-8....some years it may be good enough to win a division or make the playoffs. Some years it wouldn’t be. Does it matter at the end of the day if you finish 8-8,8-9,9-8?

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Is that necessarily true? Aren’t there concessions made when bargaining almost all contracts? Is it possible they accept the 17 game schedule to reap other benefits?

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think the owners are far and away more greedy. There are numerous things that can happen to a player to stop, or limit, his earnings; there is nothing that can stop the owners earnings. The owners set the tone by having King Roger as their leader and he methodically screws the players.

The players have to be greedy just to get the kindest, gentlest, ****ing they can get from the owners. At least they're getting kissed with a big paycheck.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Whooooo boy! This doesn't bode well for Tomlin!

17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    The point is I’m sick and tired of Tomlin being praised for mediocrity by the media proclaiming “ he’s never had a losing season”!!!! To me 8-8 is as bad as a losing season so with a 17 game season it will be a losing season or a winning season....

Cajun
    <><

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh ok got it. Ok I’m on board now:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I hate to sound holier than thou about being a Steeler fan but the bottom line is this.

For the Steelers to miss the playoffs is a losing season!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't like 8-8 seasons either but to never have one over a 12 year tenure in the NFL is notable compared to other head coaches. He is like our own Tom Landry is how I see it. & yes, Big Ben is the primary reason that he hasn't had a losing season yet.

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

One point you aren't looking at is now we will play for that tie to make sure we don't have a losing season........ha ha ha. I am saying this tongue in cheek.

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree 100% you can't win it if you aren't in it.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    8-8-1 and Tomlin still doesn't have a losing season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    To me, there is just something wrong with comparing someone or something to "others" when the "others" are the bottom of the barrel.

Like the guy who is okay that his lawn looks like **** because "at least it doesn't look like so-and-so's lawn".

Or the guy who is always mooching because he doesn't have money saying "at least I can afford blah, blah, blah, not like this guy or that guy"

If Tomlin could maintain mediocrity coaching for the Lions or the Browns now that would mean something. He was handed a Super Bowl caliber team which carried him over for 3-5 years. He has been given multiple Super Bowl caliber teams and which account for another 4-6 years. So to say he is okay because he isn't the dregs of the league is acceptance of failure; which in his circumstance equals mediocrity.

And I can't stand it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely.

I was thinking along the lines of the contract as a whole.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1