1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let Dupree walk!! Target TE Hunter Henry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Look at it like a trade...Would you rather have Dupree or Hunter Henry?

Hunter Henry all day everyday...I think he's the no.3 TE in football...Soon to be no.2...Kelce isn't getting any younger

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I definitely need to look into his film. Good production last year and we know how Colbert likes to draft underclassmen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No one is opening up anything without doing something with the OL first. We have a hard time just getting the ball snapped to the Q B.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

See my sig.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Henry is not among the top three tight ends in the league and Kelce will have to decline a very long way to fall to that level.

Maybe you could put Henry there if you project his production over 16 games, but it would be ridiculous to predict that for a guy who has never played all 16 games in a season.

People on this board also seem to struggle with the difference between the certainty of putting a franchise tag on a player and the uncertainty of going into the free agent market. Do you really think the Steelers are going to go out there and outbid other teams for a top free agent's services, especially when most of the league has more cap space than they do? Do they ever play it that way?

Based on the Steelers' history and their cap situation, if they let Dupree go, the far more likely approach would be to keep McDonald and sign a lesser, but cheaper outside linebacker.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

If they tag dupree, they are paying a lesser LB then watt 8 times the money. I'd draft one. Give him a minimum of two years with watt and ben. Bradlee Anae would be my target. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Kittle, Kelce...Then who?

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't going to pay top money for a free agent TE, Henry will probably get between $12-$15 million a year.

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Very interesting! I have read a ton of "junk" in this thread about keep him....get rid of him....I guarantee this .....and I guarantee that....but I never looked at it this way! Obviously, timing of contracts can make some players look over-paid and under-paid but this is pretty glaring:huh:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You're missing the other value in doing it. The tag is only a one-year commitment. They get that money off the books next season. Asking a rookie to start, especially when they don't even have a first-round pick, is just asking for a season of teams loading on on Watt and daring the pass rusher on the opposite side to make them pay and getting away with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ertz
    Hooper
    Waller
    Walker
    McDonald?

12. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    No, no, no, no ,no...None as good as Henry, Have you ever watched him play? Probably the best blocking TE in the league...That coupled with great hands and speed make him better than all the ones you mentioned...He truly does remind me of a more athletic Heath

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I haven't watched him play. I did pick him on my fantasy team one year & he sat on the bench hurt. Guess I hold that against him. :emperor:

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes but in the same vein they are committing more to watt and less to the rookie to shine. With Tuitt back and cam, it will be hard for teams to over commit to just watt since these other two are that good.

I also like the fact that watt and the rook would have two years instead of one after dupree. That one could be the last with watt too. Only giving Ben one year to shine coming off his injury. This way we give him two. With dupree it's banking on one shot. Also with dupree it weakens other positions that we could use for that more then one shot. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ertz is better than Henry, he showed up helping the Eagles win the Super Bowl.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please back up this claim about Henry being the best blocking tight end in the league. I've seen this claim about him being a great blocker multiple times on this thread, always without a shred of support.

Waller, Ertz and Hooper all have legitimate claims to be ahead of him. Andrews is an easy choice over Henry. I'd rather have Henry than McDonald, but I'm not even sure how big that gap is given that Henry is even more injury prone than McDonald. That's the part those of you in love with Henry keep ignoring. The guy still hasn't proven he can stay on the field.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers had two interior guys and two edge rushers providing pressure this past season, with Hargrave stepping up when Tuitt got hurt. Tuitt's return, assuming he can stay healthy, helps make up for the loss of Hargrave, but what makes up for the loss of Dupree? Some rookie? Good luck with that.

Better to give that rookie a year to sit behind Dupree, let Dupree go after one year on the tag and then give Watt the big extension he deserves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Alualu, Buggs, year 2 and the other players we can keep with that money we would spend on Dupree. Hilton. Finney. Feiler. Possibly Vannett brought back, sutton signed past this year and a few others we would have to cut to get the tag money. We still have to replace those players. Yes I think a rookie could be a pretty safe bet from that side with all these other parts still intact around him. :cool:

19. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Can't...Just remember reading it from the talking heads somewhere..."Best blocking TE in the league, combined with being a very good receiver"...No Biggie

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, just toss any rookie out there and double-digit sacks will just happen. :facepalm:

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Some talking head somewhere said it, so it must be true! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The tag is supposed to be more than a one year commitment. It was originally designed to allow a team to seek a long term contract with that player. The huge amount of cap spaced used and the early cutoff date were supposed to be am impetus to get a deal done. If you are only looking for a one year rental and have limited cap space, that 15 million tag (more or less) is a huge price to pay when you also have other guys you need to lock up. If indeed he is in your future plans, then of course you have to try that option. One of the problems is the new potential CBA. If it is passed this week, it has huge implications for FA's next year. It then becomes a guessing game and quite honestly a weighing of how much could I get next year versus potential of injury.

Bud could bank that huge payday, then potentially get a 10 to 15% increase next year if he waits. It really comes down to security vs a huge potential payday next year.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The purpose of the tag isn't really relevant. The Steelers' current situation is what matters. They are a year away from having to lock up Watt. I know the theory is he would be cheaper now, but I doubt it will be much of a break given the monster season he just had. I don't think they should keep Dupree long term. The cap allows them to address the ROLB spot for one season, then have that money free for Watt's extension.

Of course, the gaping hole at outside linebacker isn't the only flaw in the premise of this thread. The idea that the Steelers are going to spend the money it would take to get Henry if they do let Dupree go just doesn't really fit in with their history. The more likely option is they would apply it to keeping their own guys or perhaps a lower-level free agent or two.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s top 5 for sure. Talent isn’t Henrys problem, health is. There’s zero chance he will be a Steeler though and given their luck with players susceptible to injuries, probably for the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Just because bud got double digits last year doesn't mean he will again either. It took him 5 years to do that. Watt does it for 2 mil. a year, 16 doesn't guarantee anything. I do know it's not worth weakening the other parts of the defense or the future for one shot. That's almost a million and a half dollars per sack.

Let's also add, if we have to lose hilton and barron to maybe get those 11.5 sacks, we lose 145 tackles, 4.5 sacks, and 14 passes defended and an interception. Watt had 7 his rookie year. :facepalm::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1