1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers unlikely to pick up Vance McDonald's 2020 option unless he restructures?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Feb 21, 2020.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    McGlass will get injured again. Cut bait, draft one, sign one.

This is Watts 4th year. They will give him the 5th year option and he will finally come out of his shell and perform :lolol:

My fear is that they sign the one year wonder to a contract and when it's Watts time he will command 20 large a year with a significant signing bonus and he will be one another team all the while the one year wonder will go back into his shell cause he got paid.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    TJ....finally come out of his shell?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The organization doesn’t know how to use a TE to help a young, floundering QB. However with a healthy Ben in 2018, Vance and JJ combined for 111 targets and 80 catches. Not bad considering all of the targets that went to AB and JuJu. I agree that it may be a long shot to get Vance to do a money saving extension (or flat out pay cut), but he and Ben did pretty well together.

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yep, that was exactly my point. Look at it from Vance's point of view.

"If" Ben comes back, and is his his old self, I might have a great year. "If" Ben doesn't come back, I've wasted another year with an OC who doesn't know how to use me.

I think the odds lean toward him getting out of dodge.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If the right amount of money is available elsewhere, then yes. That’s a bit of a question mark with his injury history though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It's a joke son...

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I don't see either party, meaning the player and the team, being that motivated to restructure the deal.

If I'm McDonald I test the market and if I'm the Steelers I tell his agent to give us the chance to match the best offer.

A restructuring has too much risk of getting underpaid from McDonald's view and overpaying from the Steelers view, imo.

Of course, I'll probably end up being completely wrong.

9. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Pittsburgh Steelers

Tight end. The Steelers' tight ends were woefully underutilized and ineffective last season. Much of that is injury-related, with Vance McDonald missing two games and the quarterback carousel failing to find a consistent rhythm with either McDonald or Nick Vannett. With McDonald as a potential cap casualty and Vannett as an unrestricted free agent, the Steelers best option to fortify the group is through the draft, and if the team opts to choose one with their first selection in the second round, they should have their pick of the tight ends in the 2020 class. More positions to watch: RB, G, DT, WR -- Brooke Pryor

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/...draft-needs-prospects-target-all-32-nfl-teams

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Fixed that for ya:drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I wonder if there is any trade value in either McDonald or Barron?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not much, I think both of them are in the last year of their contracts, the production doesn't match the amount pf money they make.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't think Barron has any value especially with most teams know he is a very strong possibility as a cap cut. As for Vance he has an option this year and next year so if he was traded and stunk the team could cut their losses. The thing with Vance is the FA class is super weak and the value for a experienced TE could be high. There is mixed opinions on this draft class, some say it stinks and others are just starting to come around to it being pretty good. I like this years class and have heard 2 guys Charlie Weis and Pat Kirwan say they are coming around to this years class. The other morning Charlie was telling a story about how much experience he has had with TE's and said he told Belicheat that Harrison Bryant could start day one for the Pats.....that is impressive imo.

14. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    this may factor into us re-signing McDonald...

Pavelle: Thoughts On A Poor 2020 TE Class

By Scott Pavelle
    Posted on February 28, 2020

This isn’t going to be the cheeriest article. Alas.

We began the draft process saying two things. First, tight end was the closest thing to a need on Pittsburgh’s roster; and second, that wasn’t good news because the 2020 TE class looked historically bad. A number of prospects seemed to offer developmental traits worthy of a Day 3 draft pick, but even the best would not begin to offer value until Round 3, let alone at the mid-2nd pick held by Pittsburgh.

Hopes crept up a bit as the process inched forward. Junior Cole Kmet declared early, and immediately became the top prospect on the board. Bryce Hopkins displayed a better attitude (in interviews) toward blocking than his film suggested, and we were constantly reassured that he couldn’t be as bad as he looked because his father had been a pro bowl offensive lineman. Adam Trautman appeared out of the small school mist to give us a new name, and then looked like a peer of the big boys at the Senior Bowl. A few other prospects revealed some glimmers of hope too. Maybe one of these could test well enough to be worth serious consideration at #47 overall?

Then came the Combine. Alas. Because it basically reinforced the initial conclusion. Developmental traits abound but there are no complete packages from the athletic point of view.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/pavelle-thoughts-on-poor-2020-te-class/

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I strongly disagree with this article however everyone has an opinion. I listen to sirius a lot and even they are starting to change their tune as to the quality of this class. Also I mentioned in another thread Charlie Weis told Belicheat that Harrison Bryant can start for the Pats day 1. Hunter Bryant is gonna be a star IMO he reminds me of Waller from the Raiders. I have a feeling he will be a Seahawk and he will shine. Deguara is a kid who has been on the rise and don't sleep on Magnifico. Then you have all the top guys Kmet, Okwuegbunam, Hopkins, Trautman, Pinkey, Moss, Claypool and Parkinson. I think this class is pretty good but that's JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    Monday, Mar 02, 2020

McDonald admits he took 'steps backwards'

[​IMG]

Teresa Varley
    STEELERS.COM

Shortly after the 2019 season ended, Vance McDonald sat back in his chair, quietly thinking back on the year.

For a player who has always been his own worst critic, he didn't hold back when he offered an evaluation of his 2019 season.

"I think I took some steps backwards unfortunately as a player," said a candid McDonald. "I don't even need a coach to give me criticism because I have too much of it already. I think of it as having almost that edge in 2018, being known for having that play with the stiff arm, the run after whenever I would have a reception. I didn't have as many of those. It makes me want to attack this offseason and next season that much harder."

McDonald, 29, just finished his seventh season in the NFL. When you look at the skill positions for the Steelers last season, with Roethlisberger out, he was the seasoned veteran, the leader, the elder spokesman. And it came without notice. Yes, there are offensive linemen with more experience, but when it comes to skill positions, he was it.

to read rest of article:

https://www.steelers.com/news/mcdonald-admits-he-took-steps-backwards

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's not the only one who took a step backwards, JuJu did too, also the OL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It all starts with QB play, if we have bad QB play can't have good production from the receivers right? I hope with Ben coming back that will back the defense off a bit and not only will Vance, Juju, JW and DJ have better seasons but also the run game. IMO we have talent on offense just need better QB play. jmo

19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    don't be surprised to see thad moss in black and gold after the draft as the coaches and f.o. have been looking more at the athletic te's and breaking out of their usual mold.... the other fast and athletic te's (aka albert ok) pretty much "combined" themselves out of our reach

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Moss is undersized at 6'1, and he's dealing with a injury that prevented him from working out at the combine, not interested.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    100%, it was a perfect storm in 2019, absolutely everything that could go wrong did, AB gone, Ben injured, Juju & Connor struggling all year with injury. They were taking guys off the Colts and Bears practice squads and starting them within days at one stage ffs.

Defences were able to run downhill on our inexperienced QB’s all season and they did well to stay relevant.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    Steelers intend to keep McDonald in 2020

By Dale Lolley
    Posted on March 4, 2020

The Steelers are tight against the estimated 2020 NFL salary cap, even if it does go up even slightly if a new CBA is approved by the NFLPA in the coming days.

They've had internal discussions about how best to create the cap space they'll need to keep outside linebacker Bud Dupree, even if that means using the franchise tag. But one thing that is low on that list is declining to pick up the option in 2020 for tight end Vance McDonald.

to read rest of article:

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/03/04/steelers-vance-mcdonald-keep-option-2020-fdl/

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I did read we could free up 2mil after we pick up his option with a restructure. Also I am not upset with keeping him since what is out there will cost us double and there isn't much in the FA market to choose from. I still want to draft on in this draft.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I just posted in a thread in the draft room where I could see them having the same 3 as last year - Vanimal, Vannett and Gentry.

I still would like them to pick up one late in the draft. A prospect developed as a blocker since Gentry ain't it and Vanimal doesn't need to be doing it.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    If we keep Vance I hope we don't sign Vannett as well and the reason I am saying that is I feel we can get a guy who offers us the same as him in the draft or after the draft. I will even throw a name out there as a FA pick up and that is Parker Houston SD ST. He had a nice shrine game and showed very good blocking skills and surprisingly good hands. If you get a chance to look up the shrine game highlights look for #82 of the west. He had a very nice TD catch as well as the main block on another rushing TD. While you are at it watch #47 of the east Eli Wolf Georgia. These 2 are guys that might not get drafted and would fit nicely on our team and a few hundred thousand less than Vannett.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1