1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers unlikely to pick up Vance McDonald's 2020 option unless he restructures?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Steelers unlikely to pick up Vance McDonald's 2020 option, but restructured deal could keep him in Pittsburgh

McDonald has been the Steelers' starting tight end since 2017

by Bryan DeArdo

The Steelers have several personnel decisions they will have to make ahead of the start of the league's new year on March 18. Among the team's personnel decisions includes tight end Vance McDonald, whose club option would count $7,127,500 against Pittsburgh's 2020 salary cap.

Given their current salary cap situation (Pittsburgh's current cap space is about $1.58 million, according to Over The Cap), CBS Sports NFL insider Jason La Canfora told 93.7 The Fan on Friday that he does not expect McDonald to be back in Pittsburgh in 2020 at his current cap hit. This means that, unless the Steelers can agree to a restructured deal, the tight end is expected to become a free agent.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...structured-deal-could-keep-him-in-pittsburgh/

• Like Like x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been back and forth on this. To start the off season I was on the cut Vance bandwagon. But the more I look at it I can see keeping him this year and letting him go next. I love this draft class and many don't agree saying it is a weak class. The more I watch the more I like these guys and throw in that there are both passing and blocking TE's up and down the board. If we do cut Vance TE has to become our biggest need and I think round 2 or 3 we will draft one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Vance twisted his wrist while scrolling on his phone, reading this.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 9
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Keeping him at at a more manageable number is probably a fair and desirable outcome for both parties. I don’t think he will get big offers in free agency, let him test the market perhaps?

I hope they take a TE in the draft regardless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree that if Vanimal is cut that we draft a te. I don't believe that he will be a cap casualty as being projected in the article. The Steelers seem to be all in on Ben's final years & I assume he wants a serviceable te that he is familiar with. My thoughts are that they let Vannett walk before they cut McDonald.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The can’t do Watt this year, certainly not until the CBA is sorted anyway. If the CBA gets done they could give him a backloaded deal with a big prorated signing bonus to keep the first years cap figure down. Look at the deal the Saints gave Michael Thomas last year as an example.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes CBA dependent. I don’t see the CBA getting signed too soon though....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They locker next to each other and have a good relationship as well. I think if Ben had to choose between Vance and Switzer , he would take Vance...and that’s says something...lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Is Ben prolonging his career to try to win another SB or is he just sticking around for the money? The contract he signed points to the latter but I'll wait & see how much effort he puts into his comeback.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably a little of both. Like you said though,the effort he puts into his comeback may reveal the truth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’ll believe it when I see it. Ben is milking it

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ben will be fine or the organization is doing the best con job in history. I would think they know more than most do about what to expect. At least i am hoping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I honestly don't see why Vance would restructure for a team who clearly doesn't how to use a TE and a QB who is a bit of a gamble.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You can suppose Ben is all about money. You can suppose Ben is a douche, You can suppose Ben is too old and beat up. But I don't see how anyone can question his drive to win. The "fact" is, his last few years have seen him come to camp in better shape and with a stronger arm.

I think it's the former.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Vance had 50 receptions in 2018, when he played with a real QB, so they do know how to use a TE.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    "They" don't, "Ben" does.

Ben's return is a bit of a ganble ........ I appreciate your insatiable urge to argue but...... again........"I honestly don't see why Vance would restructure for a team who clearly doesn't how to use a TE and a QB who is a bit of a gamble".

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can't get past your hatred of Fichtner, to see Vance had a good year in 2018 :facepalm:. Fichtner had a bad year in 2019, as did the entire offense but they did lead the league in red zone offense in 2018.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Take the "suppose Ben is a douche" out of your post and I agree 100%. Ben proved he was a douche. His doucheness is still there but he has more control of it rearing it's ugly head.

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I bow to the gentleman from Rooney-ville:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Vance likely is going anyway. Besides, nevermind Pittsburgh acquiring a Tight End in Free Agency as that has not worked out. Drafting one is the likely option.

The question remains as to who Pittsburgh will acquire?! For me, Brycen Hopkins is still the guy.

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Which round?

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Has to be Round 2 assuming Brycen does as well as I believe he can. Dude has all the boxes checked in terms of what the Steelers look for sans not being an undergrad. Keep in mind though that rule usually applies to Round One players and not round two. James Washington was a Senior when we selected him in 2018. No reason that Brycen cannot be.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ouch lol

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    How sure can we be of this in reality? Fans perceptions of players personalities is usually skewed big time. Is Ben just reserved and all business such so that many see him as selfish and a bad team-mate?

I has a "supposed" Steeler fan a number of years ago tell me that Polamalu was a loud mouth jerk:smiley1: