1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sensible free agents that might be a Steeler next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Feb 14, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ummm.....No

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    What then?

3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You do know that Fichtner has been Ben’s QB coach for like 8 years? You do know they have a good and close relationship? Fichtner has the job as OC in big part, if not the sole reason because Ben wants him as the OC....

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I've heard rumors to that effect but I don't believe many rumors when it comes to the Steelers or any other team. I've found, after a long time of being a football fan, that rumors we accept for fact often come back to bite us in the butt.

Maybe Ben likes having him because he knows that Futchner isn't any threat to him?

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If you are willing to acknowledge how much power Ben has in the organization you would be willing to admit that RF is our OC because of Ben It’s not just a rumor at all. It’s commonly known and accepted as fact. To each his own though but you did touch on the point as to why. It’s because Ben is not only unthreatened by him, it’s also because he is allowed to basically do what he wants. They are on the same page....Ben’s page.

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Futchner doesn't have a page................

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I knew you would get it....

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can talk about it all you want, but you're still wrong :shrug:. They're keeping Dupree, so all this talk about using that money to sign other players isn't happening.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    JuJu is their slot WR

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    JUJU can play some slot but he’s not a prototypical slot receiver. Why do you think we had Switzer and Eli Rogers before him? Pure slot receivers have a different skill set. I think you know that.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They don't need to draft a WR specifically to be a slot WR, they need some speed at WR, let JuJu play the slot this year and JW, Diontae be the outside WRs.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Source please?

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Again JUJU isn’t a pure slot receiver nor should he be used strictly as one. He has some of that versatility which can be taken advantage of in mismatches sometimes. You are greatly limiting yourself by making him “the” slot receiver. It takes a different athleticism and skill set to be a slot receiver. JUJu isn’t quick in and out of his breaks like a true slot receiver. JJSS,DJ,JW and Cain are all outside guys with a little slot flexibility. That’s why there was a role for guys like Switzer and Rogers and I believe there will continue to be one. One of our 5 WRs will be that type of slot receiver. . So I’d like to see a upgrade over Switzer because if not he’ll be on the team again. Someone will....

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You know, one of the guys who has a you tube channel.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    All this talk about the good, bad, and ugly of our receiving corp is like discussing the intricate details of the tires on your race car when the engine is blown. Without a legit QB, and a qualified OC, we can have little or no idea what we have at WR.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Oops, sorry, I stand corrected:smiley1:

17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    JuJu slot
    Washington & Johnson outside
    JuJu & Johnson can interchange for favorable matchups
    Switzer dump down
    Vanimal other dump down when we've seen enough of Switzer.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Switzer- dump down is a slot WR. Which is why I’m sayin there is a role for one on the team. My point is I don’t think Switzer is the answer at slot receiver. Which is why I would like to see a upgrade over him. Someone on the roster will be filling that role. It’s one of the big reasons and has been highlighted in articles that we need a better threat from the slot to challenge the middle of the field. It’s why we hardly ever threw the ball in the middle last year. So seeing how someone will be expected to do it...why not try and upgrade it somehow at some point? We typically carry 5-6 WRs and right now they are all very similar in their skill set. Even when we had AB who excelled outside or in the slot we still had a Switzer or Rogers on the team.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Cain is an upgrade over Switzer.

I like Cain and Johnson on the outside for the Deep Ball.
    Juju back in the Slot where he belongs. and
    Washington getting the possession passes.

With Johnson returing punts and Whyte returning kicks there is absolutely no reason to have Switzer on the team.

I like Holton and Henderson to round out the top 6.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    KJ Hill. Can play any of the positions and isn't afraid over the middle. He can burn it deep as well. Johnson has the quickness to do it but not the balls. I saw that from him lest year. He got alligator arms at times turning towards the middle of the field.it's not for everybody.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's all good my friend. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    downloadfile-1.jpg

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Switzer most likely stays. Ben has big plans for him.

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd like to see them copy some of Greg Roman's formations. Put three Te's in have one motion back to the FB spot, have the other motion out to the slot. If they stack the box you dump it to the TE in the slot who has the advantage over a DB in 2 Deep zone. If they back off you run it power off tackle and maul the guy in front of you inatead of zone blocking.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Anyone got numbers on Harris the TE the browns just cut? Cheap option or another project?